Pros and cons of setting up Aeros as transmitter vs receiver with beat buddy

Hi all

Just got my Aeros and Beatbuddy. Complete newbie to looping and Singularsound products. Beginning to intermediate guitar player.

Looking for pros/cons summary of setting up Aeros as transmitter vs. receiver with beatbuddy.

Thank you!

Pros: Aeros can call up appropriate drumset and style for a specific loop

Thank you. That’s a pretty huge pro. Is that done automagically or some setting required? I’m assuming some sort of a midi command in the beginning of a song? Is there a tutorial somewhere on how to accomplish that?

Thank you!

Just downlad the manual and have a look. I also recommend this channel: https://www.youtube.com/@ForFunGuitar/search?query=aeros

So, I’ve been using the Aeros for over a year and just bought the Beatbuddy. I had been using a little Roland T-8 for drum sounds. In a way, I’m facing the same decision as you are. Disclaimer: I’m only planning, at the moment, to use a single “main” beat per song. For the music I play, I feel trying to throw in fills, etc. is inappropriate.

Everything is telling me to make the Aeros the master. This is a little biased because the Aeros is the unit that I’m most familiar with. That said, it really comes down to this: I really just need the Beatbuddy to be my drummer, and follow along. I use the Aeros, which has a much larger screen and built to be “hands free” with the control layout, screen size, etc. to control going from song to song and controlling the music experience within a given song.

Both units can send MIDI clock, so the choice is the same either way regarding which unit should control tempo.

So far, the only MIDI integration point I need is when I make a song selection on the Aeros, then I need the Beatbuddy to move to the correct song. This integration point is described in the manuals and repeated at How do you select a song on the BeatBuddy using the Aeros as Master?. For this to happen, I need the MIDI signal to flow from Aeros MIDI OUT to the Beatbuddy MIDI in. Therefore, the Aeros is the transmitter and the Beatbuddy is the receiver.

The one bridge I’ve yet to cross is if I want to change the beat pattern in the middle of a song (e.g. when I transition to a different Part on the Aeros), but I don’t need that at the moment.

2 Likes