Purpose of User Generated Content section?

I noticed that Phil tried to post a song to Discourse PLEASE COME TO BOSTON (OPB+kybds) DAVE MASON / DAVE LOGGINS but had to make it available thru his Dropbox.

This begs the question of what is the purpose of this section if we cannot share songs/beats/kits?

What are the overall limitations on types of files and sizes that can be posted on Discourse?

2 Likes

Here on GitHub is the Discourse code for setting attachment file size (just search in the browser window for “size”). Settings to enable .drm, .pbf and .sng file types can probably also be implemented. https://github.com/discourse/discourse_api_docs/blob/master/responses/admin/site_settings.json

1 Like

Thanks, Tim. Since I’m not an admin, I can’t change forum settings but I’m hoping that Singular Sound will answer the questions I posted so that we can get a better sense of what their intended goal for this forum is or is going to become.

1 Like

@iajrz or @AnthonySostre would probably have the answer for this question.

1 Like

Thanks, let’s hope the forum becomes more useful as a result of us asking for this to be looked at.

1 Like

While we’re at it, we should make sure we can upload a .zip file type as well. This would be good for: songs were we create multiple versions; include a drumkit; or if we want to post a collection of samples to use for drum kit creation.

1 Like

I played around with some odds n ends… couldn’t get anything to work correctly. Can ANTHONY add ability to post ZIP files? Otherwise, the majority of us are left out in the cold here. Creativity is rapidly dieing .

1 Like

Thank you - I’ll look into this today and see about implementing soon.

Just to recap:
1 - Higher file size limits
2 - extensions for .zip, .drm, .pbf, and .sng

Am I missing anything?

EDIT - Just got off the phone with Irving, and he’s already working on it.

1 Like

That sums it up I think Anthony. It would be great to see it work with the max file size that a OP file can get to in BB.

1 Like

Any thoughts on files that may not be zipped to post, such as mid, pdf, or similar?

1 Like

Please allow non-zipped pdf, mid and all the files that were habitually posted to the old forum. I think 500kb would be a good starting point.

Also, would it be possible to allow drm files up to ~100Mb? This way users can share their kits instead of posting to their Dropbox accounts?

1 Like

:+1: PDF and MIDI is a good call!

I’ve sent this feedback all Irving’s way as he’s already working on the solution.