Questions on using Aeros live with multi backing tracks and parts

Investigating this looper for live performances … I want to use it in essence as a totally controllable backing machine where I create multi track (one for bass,keys,guitar etc) and multi part songs with a default song flow (intro,verse,chorus,ending) but also be able to use a Midi Maestro pedal to change the order of the parts and/or mute instrument tracks etc on the fly- clearly this looper can do this …
One question I have what would be the easiest way to record all the individual instrument tracks and the parts ? Do people use a DAW (e.g. Reaper) to lay them all down and then export to the Aeros or do you normally record everything directly on the Aeros ?
All comments are appreciated !! Thanks !!

2 Likes

Jamman60, I’m going to join your inquiry, as I too, am looking to see if the Aeros will work for live performances. I want to prerecord all backing tracks and scroll from song to song for my sets. I don’t see myself doing a lot of live looping, since I need to sing and play acoustic guitar AND navigate a vocal harmonizer. Does anyone use the Aeros strictly for backing track playback only?

1 Like

The Beat Buddy works great for backing track playback. If thats all you want to do, its a fairly simple process. There are tutorials posted.

But I want a customized drum track that does more than pre-define BB patterns … is a BB required and if so how to you create the BB customized patterns ahead of time for each song ? Can that be done is a DAW ?

I was replying to Jwsoundguy, who just wanted a backing track player. I have not yet experimented with multitrack, multipart backing track creations on the Aeros. Sorry for the confusion. But, yes, BB can play back any sort of drum patterns, and yes, the best way to create them is in a DAW. Additionally, drum kits can be custom constructed to suit the needs of individual songs.

Might be off topic but have you considered Voicelive 3 extreme - the looper can be used to play backing tracks and the automation feature can add vocal or guitar effects as required (no tap dancing).

I’m still integrating and loving my BB, MM and Aeros set up. The VL3 is gathering dust but it’s still a very capable machine in most respects.

For me, it’s much easier to record directly to Aeros.

Carl, Yes, I’m looking at the VL3X, but I prefer to have a separate looper from the voice processor and drum generator. The VL3X and RC600 scares me in such that if they failed in a performance it would be sad to rely on such a delicate and too complex unit, whereas can keep the vocal harmony and drums going due to separate units.

Ideally, I want to use the Aeros to create all my loops at home before the gigs, and only scroll from song to song on a gig. Live looping, only in my opinion, seems a bit disconnecting with an audience who really just wants to be entertained and not watch a looping class up on stage.

2 Likes

These wonderful machines are getting very complex I agree. The backing track option on VL3 takes the place of the looper - so it’s either one or the other. I use Aeros looping just to capture a few bars so I can (try to!) solo over them in our covers band, so avoid building up loops. And the BB is linked by midi sync to keep the tempo and percussion going. A few live performers I know just use their iPad to play the backing track.

Probably there is not one ideal way, but many choices :slight_smile: good luck in the search for one that can work for you.

1 Like

I haven’t upgraded to the latest firmware, but depending on the complexity of your multi track song, plan on significant load time from one song to the next. Not to mention finding that actual song in the menu. That may have improved in the latest firmware.

Please mind that currently the Aeros does not automatically add any samples to the end of an imported file, so it will effectively trim the end of the backing track and use the last 360 samples to create the crossfade. You must add these samples manually for externally imported files, some methods for removing them are explained in the General Tech section of the Aeros Manual. This would be a similar but opposite process of adding space at the end of files when exporting from your DAW.

If you record the track in the Aeros however, this will give you the added benefit of already having the samples needed to bring the loop back in seamlessly once in the Aeros.

We understand this is not ideal however and hope to expand upon the importing and also the exporting capacities of the Aeros to minimize issues like this and make it incredibly seamless and straightforward without tips and tricks to get it working very smoothly across parts.

If you do not need the parts to change seamlessly into one another and just have one backing track of a whole song in a part, this will work fine.

1 Like