queue fill period...

sometimes i hit the main pedal a little too late and the fill starts at the next measure…
with hitting it too late, i mean on bar 4 (of the 4 visual bars in the display).
i want my bb set up so if i hit the pedal anywhere within those 4 bars, the fill will not be played at the next measure.
i’ve read about this in the manual and if i’ve got it right, i should set the value for the queue fill period to 100%.
correct?

i also want to set my bb up, so that it starts the fills when i hit the pedal and not as it is default, when released…
i’m sure it’s somewhere in the manual, but i can’t find it right now and if someone already knows the answer, i guess might as well add that question to this post.
what is the reasoning of having the fills start at pedal release as default?
can’t see why not everyone would want the fills to start right away, as you hit the pedal…

While technically true, I don’t think there is an option to set it to 100%. Set it as high as possible.

Just press both Tempo and Drum Set knobs on the pedal at the same time. The option you want is somewhere there, for sure :slight_smile:

If you set the pedal to trigger on press (and not release), the pedal will no longer be able to detect long presses (pedal hold).

Imagine the situation - you want a transition right on the next bar. But what about if you also want to turn your distortion pedal right at the next bar as well. And you want to play with the wah pedal right on this bar preceeding a transition?
Queue transition on the BB, play with the wah pedal, turn distortion pedal on right when the next transition bar kicks in. You simply won’t be able to do that without proper queueing on the BeatBuddy side!

brynte5, I asked for the exact same thing when I first got my BB, but later came to terms with how it was designed. It requires a little different thinking on our part, meaning, instead of trying to trigger a fill at exactly the right time (which seems like the natural thing to do with regards to music), you need to set your queue period appropriately so that you can queue the fill ahead of time and let the BB take care of the timing. With 4/4 time and a queue of 50+%, you’ll have two beats at the start of a bar to press the button, with 75%+ you’ll have 3 beats. It’s the equivalent of saying “lets go on 3!” versus just yelling “GO!”. Queuing a fill not only lets you and your fellow band mates prepare and do other things a few beats before the actual fill/transition, but it also means your fill will be triggered exactly in time which is not something most people can reliably do, as evidenced by your “when triggering it too late” statement.

From the manual - “Main Pedal > Queue Fill Period: This allows you to set the amount
of the measure that has been played before the fill is played in the
next measure, rather than in the current one. So if the setting is at
75%, and you tap the pedal before 75% of the measure has been
played, then the fill will start immediately and end in the current
measure. If you tap the pedal after 75% of the measure has been
played, it will wait until the next measure to play the fill.”

In other words, if the setting is at 75% in a bar of 4/4 and you want the full fill to play in the next bar you have to hit the pedal at or slightly after beat 4 as that is 75% of the bar. Difficult when playing high tempo songs so maybe reduce it to 50% - then you have to hit the pedal at or after beat 3 (which starts at 50% of the bar gone - geddit?).

He is trying to do the reverse - get an instant fill and not get it queued to the next bar.

So setting it to 25% with a 4/4 beat would mean he’s basically got two beats between the first and the last to trigger the “instant fill”. Pressing it as soon as the measure starts but before the first beat means the queue period hasn’t passed yet so the fill will play at the start of next measure. Pressing it after the first beat but before the last beat will start the instant fill that ends on the last beat. Pressing it on or after the last beat starts the instant fill, but there isn’t any time left in the measure to do anything so nothing happens. Is that correct?

Nope, it is the complete reverse of the logic.

The correct BeatBuddy behaviour:
Pressing before the queue period value will fire instantly.
Pressing after the queue period value will queue to fire on the start of the next bar.

Ah yeah, you’re right then - he needs a high queue fill period then but needs to realise that he won’t get the whole fill this way. For example if he presses at beat 3 he’ll just get the 2nd half of whatever fill in is triggered then back to the main pattern. Queued up properly you get the whole 1 bar (or however many bars the fill is) of the fill after the end of the main pattern bar.

thanx a lot for your replies, guys:-)

i don’t really care much if the whole fill is played or not.
quite often i like them shorter then they are anyway;-)
i just want to avoid starting the fill one beat too late and that’s happening every once in a while right now, but i’m getting better with practice, so guess i’ll get the hang of it eventually.
of course when this happens, it sounds terrible and i would much prefer it if the fill wasn’t played at all, if i hit it late (on bar 4).
i just thought and hoped that if i’m a little late hitting the pedal, i would still be ok, as long as it hasn’t progressed to the next beat (with beat i mean the display showing the 4 bars), but that isn’t the case.
i understand now why it’s set up like this, reading your comments and i guess i’ll just have to learn how to use it properly.
actually i also have a voicelive 3 at my feet and need to tap that to get harmonies, so as it turns out, i’m gonna need that delay in the bb.
i’m still gonna check out those settings for the queue fill period though;-).

It does sound horrible if you biff on the fill, which is where the whole queue thing comes into play. If you queue it up, it will always play in time, and if you set the queue time really low, you’ll have 3 beats or so to get your stomp right. You just have to be a measure ahead of yourself to prepare, which does take some getting used to.