RC 600 manual is available

I had a quick look at the RC 600 manual last night. It does appear that the device is able to midi sync as a slave with a non-Roland/Boss product. I did not, however, see any song loading capabilities. It may be in there; I too a real quick look. It’s also not at all clear that the “rhythm” could be changed within a song. The functions of its “rhythm converter”, which is the process to bring in your own beats, is not explained.

I certainly do not see it as being a BB killer. It does seem like a very deep looper with loads of effects, but I am very skeptical that it would suit all the demands of serious Aeros users that I see on this Forum.

This is what they say
Here’s what you can do when you connect the RC-600 via USB to
your computer.

• Back up the RC-600’s data to your computer.
  • Restore (recover) backup data from your computer to the
    RC-600.
  • Use BOSS TONE STUDIO to import or back up loop phrases
    (audio files).
  • Use the dedicated rhythm converter if you want to import and
    use your original rhythm patterns on the RC-600.

But the recording time is 1.5 hours for 1 track, Multiple tracks split the time I guess

I was a boss rc50 user before buying Aeros. RC50 is also a 3 track looper workstation with the same operating system as the RC300 and probably RC 600.
Boss’s loop pedal may not have “cool functions” such as updating through WIFI or a color big screen. But it has useful functions that Aeros don’t have and won’t have in the next year considering their updating frequency.

Let me give you a few examples
It has a powerful audio rotating function. I can individually set the output of each track and also the input. On RC50, there is only one stereo input, but I can split it into two mono inputs, one for my guitar track, one for my base track. I think I will never see this function on my Aeros.
It can change the tempo of already recorded tracks, which users Community ask for a long time.
It can change songs immediately and easily. On Aeros, I need tap, tap, tap, scroll, tap tap, and wait for loading.
There are many details in the RC series that make it more easy-use and stable than AEROS.

I buy an Aeros Loop because it has 6 tracks, looks cooler, and can probably have some great features in the future. But So far, its operating system still has bugs and freezes. The update frequency is very slow, unlike a company with a development team.

If you don’t have the beat buddy, RC600 is definitely an Aeros killer. Aeros has great potential, but the question is when will it come into play.

2 Likes

That is the $700.00 question!

Unfortunately it seems you may have inadvertently posted in the wrong forum section.
More like the wrong forum altogether.
The Boss forum is over there on the other side of the internet.

I don’t get it. I don’t come here looking for Boss info. I would go to the Boss website if I was so inclined.
I already bought into the Aeros. I come here for my SS products info. After all, it is their site.

Either way I personally find it pretty rude when people do this on competing sites.
Bad taste is all.
Lighting fires like spoiled children.

Hey SS, look what your competitor is doing and your not.
They created a product that they felt would do well. They don’t have magic balls to give them a heads up what other products will do in the future.

Keep looking for the greener grass. You will find it is futile and never-ending because there is always a new one just around the corner.

Go ahead and buy the Boss. Just get ready for the one that trumps it. Although the Aeros already does.

3 Likes

The release of the RC-600 had already been discussed on the Forum. At the time it was mentioned, I indicated I would reserve my opinion of it vs. the Aeros until the manual was available. Well, now the manual is available.

My feeling is that it is not going to be the be-all, end-all looper that many of the soundscape users here want the Aeros to be. However, I also think it benefits Singular to see what the competition has produced since the Aeros is still a product under development. Maybe there is something in the 600 that we’d like to see in the Aeros.

The fact is that Boss produces finished products that get very few subsequent updates. What you buy is what you get. For most of their products, they keep producing drivers for a good number of years to keep the product relevant. With the Aeros, Singular is still working some things out.

Some had mentioned that the built in rhythms and the ability of import a rhythm could be a something that “kills” the BB/Aeros combo. I don’t see that. As best as I can tell, the 600 will only allow one rhythm pattern to be loaded. This does not match the BB’s capability of having multiple song parts. That’s just one example.

Providing info about another product is not a slap at Singular. Many folks here have other loopers than the Aeros, and use them with their BB products. And there have been plenty of questions on this forum along the lines of “how can I use this Singular product with this non-Singular product.” Even the idea of using the Aeros with another looper has been discussed.

So, I apologize if getting information and becoming educated rubs you the wrong way.

3 Likes

I have about 7 loopers. I use 3 at one time. In the context of using them together is fine.
Its just when people start lighting the fires for a product already released.
The hardware is what it is. How far the software can go is a different story and to be seen.

I bought my Kemper many years ago. It was up and downs but it has had incredible updates even up until now. You just have to stick it out and see what they can do. Or go safe and mediocre like Boss.

It was more so some other threads that were definitely not talking about how they can be used together. More so whether people should jump ship or for shoppers to not buy at all, beating up the product. Saying hey look what the Aeros may not do compared to a competitor on their own site is just wrong in my eyes. Especially when the Aeros was released first.

When people go on a forum and do these things it isn’t helping our cause.
The more sales the more resources. Hopefully more software people.
Either get behind them or don’t buy a product until it gives you what it claims and or what you want.

I am not talking about you directly. I just saw this thread as an extension to the one that started with comparing the new Boss and claiming it would be better.

1 Like

Phil, I have a 95000 (and a beatbuddy + ALL the offered beats ) and am thinking about aeros vs. rc600. (BTW i have a sy-1000). So this thread is very pertinent and somewhat useful. I manage software (bugs , features, etc) all day long, so the “state” of the aeros is important to me. Also important is the possible integrations w/ BB (especially with the external foot switch) . My point is I appreciate ANY feedback ya’ll want to give. It is meaningful. Nothing improves software faster and more than a feature “bake off”. Also, I was already a member of this forum + this was the first google that showed up for me. Peace to all, stay safe!!

1 Like

FYI: pulled the trigger on the Aeros :slight_smile: . Can’t wait reasons? (not in any order)

1. Very compelling videos from Benn Jordan and Jared Smythe
  2. I own a beatbuddy
  3. I own a sy-1000 so i don’t need effects.
  4. I coudn’t find any info on song “parts” for rc600 except for a video from EytschPi42 and it wasn’t convincing.
  5. I read through both manuals and nothing in the rc600 stood out (maybe 32 bit? eh.)
    I’ve also been working with my ehx95000 and realized that it will never do what i need.
    I’ve also looked at the headrush but the moment someone said “they replaced all the buttons” i + all the effects i don’t need, i’m like why bother.

So, there you go. talk to you all soon.
bob

1 Like

Just so you know EytschPi42 has never done a vid on the RC-600 (He has done the rc500, rc10r, and rc5.) One of the Boss reps in another forum had more to say on that. From just reading the manual you will have parts to work with, Though I don’t have one here at the studio yet… I’ll keep the Aeros around in hopes that future updates fulfill advertised promises. Can’t have too many loopers :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Thanks for the correction, you’re right.

The RC-600 can transition between Memories while playing. Since the RC-600 has 99 memory slots, you have a potential 98 additional song parts. Each with 6 tracks.

1 Like

It has a couple of bugs… but overall it does MORE than the manual states. Boss is slow with updates but have promised to continue to take feed back and fix bugs. Im happy with it so far except for a couple of tid bits. It’s flooding here where I live so I haven’t really given it much time or I would offer more info. Regarding switching memory slots mid song: The RC-300 used to leave a big latent gap, so that was unusable in a live situation. I need to try this with the new 600 to confirm it is actually usable that way. It is certainly a contender with the Aeros. I still love the Aeros touch screen and size but to access the features you have to empty your pockets for midi control and my pedal boards are full.

I think you’ll find transitioning between memories works very well.

1 Like

I have watched a number of demos including Matt Bolton who gigs with the RC 600 several times a week. Matt ends up basically using the RC-600 as a 2 track looper. From what I can hear he records percussion with overdubs on one track and keyboard + rhythm guitar on a second, and has a TC Helicon for vocal pitch correction and harmony, etc. basically for the verse or “part.” He stops the second track for a pre-chorus, chorus, etc. Point is, I have never seen someone change “parts” with a RC 600 and the manual from what I have read makes no mention of “parts.”

As an example, for a cover song I am sorting out Ramble On with the Aeros. The verse part has several guitar and one bass track going, the prechorus part has two guitar and one bass track, the chorus part has two guitar and one bass track and the interlude several guitar and one bass track going. How can that be replicated with the RC-600?

In response to your question, that’s easily done. In order to function seamlessly, the memories you use should be setup with same parameters. The difference is there is no “locked” track. You merely increase or decrease the memory number and it will play at the end of the current loop. Alternatively, there is also the option to have individual loops run sequentially (in whatever order you choose on the fly). You could also have some loops run sequentially as I just explained and designate other tracks run normally at the same time, giving you a “locked” track scenario. This sequential/hybrid scenario can be achieved without changing memories which has the advantage of your bass and drums (or whatever) being constant without having to record them again. Otherwise, playing memories is exactly like switching parts on the Aeros, also with six loops available. I learned about this technique on Youtube from a channel called JohnPaul Music UK. He’s a very helpful fellow. I hope my explanation makes sense to you.

1 Like

If you can instantly change memory location and have the next preset run in sequence, does that mean the only limit to the number of “parts” is how many memory locations you have available? That’s how the EHX 95000 works too. I prefer to have a single stored memory that can run sequential parts with many tracks, it makes programming the changes more universal from a MIDI controller, but the 95000 style method does work for “unlimited” parts, including doing things like tempo and time signature changes.

That’s exactly right. You would be limited to how many memories are available. Sequential loops are limited to each memory, but I suppose you could have a few memories setup like that and transition between memories with their associated sequential loops/tracks.

I’ve never gotten the EHX95000 to switch to the next loop “instantly” or fast enough to be a “part”. even with fcb1010 controlling it. that’s why i bought an Aeros. That being said, i was GOING to experiment with muting tracks, but i just bought the Aeros. But I’m new at this.

Hmmm. I used both the 45000 and 95000 this way without a hiccup (I even used the 45000 gigging for several years this way). I wonder if it could be related to the rating of the SD Card? I always used a card rated for 10. I’ve also always used the quantize feature as well, that may allow time to buffer the next preset for a seamless transition as well … I’m not sure if I ever even experimented without using quantize for that behavior. Anyway, you got the Aeros now, which also does 6 parts perfectly fine.

1 Like