Select Song via Midi

What comes to mind for 1000’s songs is to start simple. Put the BB on stand where you can adjust tempo. Pick about 6 simple patterns and put in set on BB. Then pick a song to perform, select one of the 6 patterns, set the tempo, start/stop with foot switch. In spare time work on BB for 1000’s of songs.

Onsong on a Mac? Isn’t Onsong IOS only at the moment, I don’t think midi even works with the “Console” add in. I’m sure this functionality within the BB will come in time.

What happend in the meantime in case of midi implementation?
My request is almost 1 year old!

Daef told me he will realize midi implementation in next firmware-updates
http://mybeatbuddy.com/forum/index.php?threads/program-change-via-midi.227

Werner

No answer to my question?

Add me to the list. I use ForScore, and I love being able to pick a song and have it set my PD HD500X, Korg and Kurz Keyboard patches, Looper Patch, Voicelive patch etc. Last thing I want to do is bend over on a stage to pick a tune on Beat Buddy. I like the idea, I think it will play very nicely with the VoiceLive3 but patch changes are pretty standard so a deal breaker for me. Shame cos it looks like a great unit

It’s coming in the next release… It’s being actively developed right now!

that sounds great!
when will the next release be available?

Can you give a rating how long will it last till that update will come (no dead line, I know what can happen when it then comes late (I`m here since before BB-Manager:D…))

not sure when it will be released, but i know they are trying to implement everyone’s midi wishes. takes a while to fully test all this kind of stuff. trust me, i believe it will be worth the wait!

Do you mean full Midi control (with Midi controller)? That would be awesome…

not sure it will have “full midi control” (which would be awesome), but i know they are working on song selection via midi, for things like onsong. hopefully no more awkward bending down and poking buttons during a performance! there are other midi capabilities being added, but i’m pretty new to midi at my toes, so i’m likely not the best to explain.

I’ve been out of the loop for a few months now and I’m thrilled to hear this is coming. I guess I better learn how to use midi contol! LOL.

Bought the iPad Pro the day it was available. Love it. Have loaded 4,000+ songs! Use at restaurant instead of books. Picture says it all.
Now I am able to enjoy all these benefits of GOING DIGITAL:
Advantages of Going Digital
[LIST=1]
[]Portability (Wedding, Shows, etc.)
[
]Redeemed Closet space
[]No book clutter around piano
[
]No traipsing to closet or cupboard for books
[]No book scrambling at piano
[
]Faster Request Response time
[]Better visibility of and from diners (No piano lamp to block view)
[
]Power-outage Resistant (no plug-in piano lamp susceptibility)
[]No Mis-Alphabetization delays (as in some titles in books)
[
]No Missed Requests (due in insufficient knowledge of library)
[]No Superfluous purchases
[
]Hands-free Page Turning
[]Integrated purchase of New titles.
[
]Integrated Trax-system via OnSong
[]Integrated Drum-Machine-system via OnSong & BeatBuddy
[
]Integrated Mic/Amp System
[]Integrated Display of Cover Art system (with 2nd iPod Pro)
[
]Integrated Lyrics Display (with 2nd iPod Pro)
[]Integrated Misc. (light show, fog-machine, bubble machine etc.)
[
]Integrated Social Media (live Video/audio feed)
[/LIST]
However, now that I no longer traipse to the closet to pull requests, I find I am gaining weight.
I WANT to stop the music between every song and lean over squeezing my torso in that tight space between the top of the piano bench and bottom of the piano keyboard to fiddle with Beat Buddy song choice. This is one of my few sources of exercise left.

If you, BB, interrogate SongChoice via Midi, then everything will work to seamlessly and I’ll just get fat.

Please Don’t do it. Don’t do it.

Can you guys say more about the details of using an external MIDI controller to select songs. If I want to use a tablet to do this, how do I connect the tablet or iPad to the BB? What kind of apps can do this? Do I need to run through a separate controller to the BB or can I go direct from my tablet/iPad?

If I want to choose songs through a controller, which controllers can I use for this? (examples)

Is the controller is actually generating the MIDI commands so all the BB is doing is playing the correct .wav files when instructed by the controller? (Or, that’s what you would like to have happen if a firmware update provides it?) Or, is the MIDI controller selecting the songs and sending commands to the BB equivalent to pressing the foot switches?

To connect the iPad to a midi device, you need to buy the USB connector; the is called the Camera Connection Kit (CCK). With that you can plug in any USB MIDI compliant device, any iOS compliant audio device (which may also have a MIDI port) or a powered USB Hub and then connect any amount of USB devices to it.

If you want the simplest way to connect the iPad to the beat buddy, you’ll need to buy:
[LIST]
[]The CCK (http://www.apple.com/au/shop/product/MD821AM/A/lightning-to-usb-camera-adapter?fnode=91),
[
]and a USB MIDI cable (http://www.amazon.com/SANOXY-Cable-Converter-Keyboard-Window/dp/B0017H4EBG)
[*]and the beat buddy midi sync cable (see http://mybeatbuddy.com/product/midi-sync-cable/)
[/LIST]

In my setup, I connect my iPad mini (using the CCK) to a powered USB hub. I then have an Audiobox iTwo (see https://www.presonus.com/products/AudioBox-iTwo-Studio) plugged into the USB hub and a Line 6 Shortboard MKII (See http://line6.com/footcontrollers/fbvshortboardmkii.html/) - this is my MIDI foot controller. I then have the Beat buddy plugged into the MIDI on my Audiobox iTwo.

I’m not sure how they’re gonna implement it, but at a guess each song on your beat buddy will get an identifier (a MIDI CC on a specific channel), then you configure your MIDI controller to send that MIDI CC. So in practice, if you’re using something like OnSong, you can configure it to send a MIDI CC when you open a song. This command will then configure your MIDI devices to the correct preset (including your beat buddy)

An alternative way to connect your iPad to the Beat Buddy is with a Zivix PUC or PUC+ via WiFi (regular PUC) or Bluetooth (PUC+). So you have a wireless connection to the PUC/PUC+, and then you use the MIDI cables to connect that to your Beat Buddy.

You didn’t hear it from me, but I’m pretty sure song selection is going to be implemented with Bank Select and PC commands.

Very cool, thanks all.

I don’t like to bend over either, so for now I’m using Midi-Ox on Windows 7 to send the MIDI messages MSB: 0; LSB (choose between 1 and what ever number of groups of songs you have) and lastly choose section (usually 1 or 2) and then the number for the song in that set.

But Linda, BeatBuddy has updated its firmware so that it may receive its MSB, LSB, PC via its mini MIDI port some time ago. I’ve been controlling it that way, not to mention via a Yamaha bluetooth adaptor, with great success.

Using a MacBook Pro (IOS 11.2.3) and BB with updated firmware. I’m trying to select song via MacBook and leaving the BB on the floor. Is that possible?

I’ve connected to the USB and the BB shows “USB Device Connected”. The Manager only choose and plays the virtual. Is something staring at me and laughing that I’m missing?

Thanks for any help.