Simple Gospel Beat

Hey folks,
Does anyone have a simple gospel or country beat that I can borrow? lol
I’m looking for that 4 on the floor, 4 on the snare type beat, with simple 8th hi-hats.
Ex: kick/snare, kick/snare, etc.

The ones in BB don’t exactly play what I’m looking for.
Thanks for your help!

Aaron

Would something like a “Will the Circle be Unbroken” work?

Hey Phil,
Thanks for responding. That’s a great Johnny Cash song, but no that one isn’t what I’m looking for.
Sounds like the drummer on that song is playing 4 on the floor with the kick, but only playing the snare on 2&4. The bass line that is being played does call for what I’m looking for, but in that song it doesn’t sound like the drummer is playing that old gospel drum feel. I know you know what I’m talking about because of the song that you named when you responded. It’s just that the drummer isn’t playing what I need.
What I’m looking for is more like the kick and snare are playing the following:
1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &
k s k s k s k s…with 8th note hi-hats…OR a funnier way of sounding it out…boot/cat, boot/cat, boots/cat, boot/cat! lol

If it helps…the reason I’m looking for such a beat is because I’m trying to have that particular track groove for the Lumineers song “Ho Hey!”
At the chorus, the above groove is played at that time, so that’s why I’m looking for that specific groove. I’m surprised it’s not in the BB actually. It’s a very traditional drum groove. In the folder “Oldie 2” there is a groove that is quite similar, but the snare is on the 1, and the kick is sporadic, so it doesn’t work for what I need.
If you have something like the above craziness I just posted, then I’d greatly appreciate your help. Thanks again for responding.

Aaron

If it helps…the reason I’m looking for such a beat is because I’m trying to have that particular track groove for the Lumineers song “Ho Hey!”
At the chorus, the above groove is played at that time, so that’s why I’m looking for that specific groove. I’m surprised it’s not in the BB actually. It’s a very traditional drum groove. In the folder “Oldie 2” there is a groove that is quite similar, but the snare is on the 1, and the kick is sporadic, so it doesn’t work for what I need.

Your can try these. Variations on the above theme:

Phil,
You are the man!! Thank you!!! That is exactly what I needed. I truly appreciate your help!
Based on the fact that when I downloaded the files ProTools opened up, if I need to create a midi file, I can create it in a DAW, then bounce it down as a midi file, or .wav if it’s for an accent file, and be good.
Thank you again sir!!

Aaron

You’re welcome. Those took me about all of two minutes to create once you told me what you wanted. Enjoy! (I kinda like #4 the best with the open hi-hat, but that’s just me.)

They’re all good! I am using version 1 because it’s exactly what the song calls for.
Thanks again Phil for all of your help!!

Aaron

Hey Phil,
Can I ask you something? I know that you use ProTools to create those midi files that you sent to me…again thank you.
I tried to make my own the other day using Logic Pro…I operate out of that one more than ProTools.
Anyway, what steps did you take AFTER you created them to make them play properly?
You mentioned “open hi-hat” for one of the files you sent me, but I listened again and I didn’t hear an open hi-hat.
When I made my midi files, I only heard kick drum in mine after I pulled them into BB. I didn’t hear anything else.
I thought it strange. I exported the track as a midi files that I created from Logic Pro, and everything exported just fine.
The problem is the midi file doesn’t play the grooves I made properly. I only hear the kick drum.
Are there certain steps that need to be done when pulling in you own midi files into BB?

I actually made the grooves in Logic Pro X. I start with a drummer track in Logic Pro X, since it is already mapped to the General Midi standard. Unfortunately, some of what ships with BB is not General Midi compliant. You need to check that the drumkit you are using in BB actually has notes mapped to the corresponding midi note that you created. To do this, in Beat Buddy Manager, at the top of the song folder list, there is a heading for drum kits. Click on it, and the list of drum kits in your BB will appear. Then, double click the name of the drumkit that you are assigning to the song. The list of drums and other instruments in that kit will appear in the big window, now called Drumset Maker. Kick drums are usually assigned to midi 35 and 36, which are, in Logic Pro X, B0 and C1. The open hi-hat is at midi 46, Bb1. Closed hat is at midi 42, F#1. The snare I used is at midi 38, D1.

[ATTACH=full]5356[/ATTACH]

One other thing to be careful of. When working with the midi notes in Logic, if you are moving things around, it is very easy to move a note to one position up or down the keyboard away from where you want it. Check to make sure the notes are where you want them.

To hear my grooves the way I built them, install any of my bass and keyboard kits. They all are mapped to General Midi standards, although I only use one sample per drum. The Beat Buddy kits have multiple samples and generally sound more realistic, but you do need to make sure that you are mapping your midi to the BB kit.

Awesome…I’ll try it. Thanks Phil!!

Awesome…I’ll try it. Thanks Phil!!

Hey…
Im in the same situation. Can you send me the same files that you sent Aaron?

No guarantee here, as it was 4 years ago, and Singular lost all of our attachments to messages at some point. But, I do have 4 midi files I called Gospel 4, that were made in February 2017, so I think this is them.
Gospel 4 midi.zip (2.5 KB)

Hi Phil,
We are looking for a great gospel beat as well. Would we need to purchase some additional drum kits? Thank you!
CM

You should be able to try them with the stock BB drum kits.

Ok, thanks Phil.