The new forum is.. Ugh!

Alright - Irving and I will work to implement that (or a variation of it, there are a few things related to text colors and the like that I’d want to improve) as soon as possible.

1 Like

So - we just launched a new theme that incorporates the boxes, while retaining a clean look.

You can access this theme by going to prefences, then interface, and finally selcting the “Boxy Tent Light” under Theme.

Preview of the theme:

How to select the theme:

Let us know what you think of the new theme, and if it’s a hit, we can look into creating a dark version and have a poll to discuss setting it as the main theme for the forum.

o yes the box effect is better

2 Likes

Hi. Jay at Singular Sound support advised me to register on this Forum, as the old Forum will simply not send me a confirmation email no matter what I do. The problem is, this Forum doesn’t have any of the downloads…and due to never being able to confirm my registration on the old Forum, I can’t download anything!!! Please help!!!

Can someone give me a login/password on the old Forum so I can download? Or is there anyone who can confirm/revise my rights on the old Forum so that I can download???

Thanks very much
–Neil Z (gtrguy58)

1 Like

Just sent you a DM.

I think this forum looks fine fwiw, and I’m happy to use it. The only issue I’ve seen is that some attachments have not copied across, such as images

1 Like

I miss the creative energy here. It feels different now. Like we’re rebuilding the studio and all of the effort is going into that task instead of exchanging ideas and creating. I’m using Beat Buddy for the long haul and sincerely hope this works out.

1 Like

If you see any of those let me know - we found it’s an issue with the import and I (Should) be able to fix it manually, so feel free to PM me any instances of that and anything else that strikes you as odd (broken links, improperly formatted posts, etc.)

I imagine people will get used to the new forum shortly and then talk will refocus on the creative side. :slight_smile:

So how do we sort beats (songs) by title?

Not digging these pastel-based themes at all. They’re harder to read. Even this so-called dark theme I’ve chosen is pastel-ized black. It’s backwards - the ever present header should be gray and the scrollable content beneath should be black. my $0.02…meh and bleh… lol

EDIT: Block theme is OK. Guess I should have checked that first. :slight_smile:

1 Like

So the response to BIG MAJOR ISSUES are themes? SORRY, doesnt cut it at all.

I agree with Jim Jacobsen re creativity.

And how does Singular propose creativity without a RESOURCE section? Anthony…at one time, on the old forum, way back when, the RESOURCE section was barely used. The pioneers would post in the BEAT section. As everything took off, thanks to pioneers like a Guitar Stu and Aashi, the RESOURCE section became heavily used to post our items to be shared. It is still necessary and I would dare to say, the PRIMARY reason why the forum is so important… To have two forums, old and new, doesn’t help things. If DISCOURSE does not support this type of idea, I say abandon it, go back to the older forum, keep backing it up until a better forum platform can be found. In fact, I suggest that your IT people complete the debugging of 1.6# and then perhaps write their own forum.

It’s not a matter of men not liking or able to adapt to new things. I’ve been in IT as a developer (very long time ago) and an Advanced Placement instructor. If I didn’t like “new” I wouldn’t have been in the business for 35 years. (I really did know Steve Wozniak.) But 35 years also gives me a small ability to smell out something that either won’t work or wasn’t thought out. So please, before this becomes a real “stinker”, fix it. Because right now, I’m wondering, and so are others, that this might be a subtle way of separating out the vast OPB library?

Phil

3 Likes

Was that in response to me?

I had brought up the ‘Themes’ thing as I found it difficult to discern separation of posts which then ran into other threads at the bottom of the last post, hopefully to lessen the effort of reading posts. The added ‘Boxy Tent Light’ is an improvement for readability. I had hopes more themes might be added which tone down the white glare of the screen, but if other issues that have begun to surface aren’t addressed, I don’t see much future in this forum to pursue further visual candy.

1 Like

We have a plan for the resource section. Hold tight. It just wasn’t able to be moved in the initial migration and if we didn’t move people over there’d be a gap in posts and we didn’t want that.

The answer to the “BIG MAJOR ISSUES” aren’t themes - but the ability to quickly change themes as we did here is an example of how Discourse will be a better choice in the long term, it’s just a matter of sharing specific feedback so we can customize the solutions.

1 Like

If you want us to edit colors at all just let me or Irving know - Even on the block one, we can make it a proper dark theme if you so desire.

When you say other issues, are you referring to the resources, or have you found other issues? We have plans to add a dark theme. I can work on that next week. It’s easy, as is most of the other customization of Discourse.

There has been some hints that the resources may possible remain on the old forum site which wouldn’t have been good. It’s encouraging to hear the resources will eventually be located here.

There was a sample theme you posted back in post 18 might be one to try. Reduces a lot of the glaring white space and easier on the eyes.

Is there a way to quote another persons post (not cut & paste with quotes)? It might be here, I just don’t see it. If I were responding to a post way back in a long thread it may not be obvious to what I’m responding to without an ability to quote the OP as reference. Similarly how can I link an individual post to use as a reference in another thread. There is ‘Share a Link to this Topic’, which appears to share a whole thread topic, but I don’t see a means to ‘share’ an individual post.

1 Like

You can quote anything by highlighting anyone else’s text at which point an option to quote will appear.

Linking to individual threads can be done by clicking the little link icon on anyone’s post. See my screen shot below to see both of these: