Three button footswitch

David, I would say another on-board jack for use with a remote expression pedal to be used to control the tempo up & down on the fly. When uplugged, the BeatBuddy would revert back to the way it is now. This might have a more broader use than any other function. Or maybe a dual function with the flip of a switch.
Sincerely, Fingerstylepicker.

You can already do that with midi. I think someone did a small two button switch a while ago to control the tempo.
In fact if ā€˜everythingā€™ is controllable by midi you could make a dedicated midi based external pedal to control the bb with assignable foot switches and maybe even a swell pedal (or two) for volume and/or tempo.

The Roland FC-300 has both push buttons and expression pedals. One of the expression pedals could be programmed to control tempo. This solution is a bit expensive ($450) but is simpler than trying fudge the tempo knob with a foot pedal or jailbreak into the BBā€™s computer. There are other offerings for midi expression pedals that might work at a lower price range. Behringer FCB1010?

BTW, I couldnā€™t get the midi tempo controls working on my iPhone, any tips? The other midi commands work great.

Check out this expression pedal to 5-pin DIN midi module:

http://www.audiofront.net/MIDIExpression.php

See the one with 3 pedal inputs and 5 pin MIDI on the other side. Itā€™s $140.

This one looks like an ideal match for what you want:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MIDIPC?adpos=1o10&creative=105593157961&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CPfRgPT5wMwCFcxZhgodYkkI9g

Plug your expression pedal in and get midi out. Not cheap though - $120.

Iā€™d like to have the 3rd footswitch act like the main footswitch so you could mount the BB on a stand and be able to reach it without having to bend over.

1 Like

Some of us have done that already diy. Itā€™s known as the ā€˜Norbert Hackā€™. It voids the warrantee but is totally worth it.

Hey just something on the topic of MIDI. when the BB MIDI Manual says or has a value of: > 0

I know it means but what do I enter in that field ?

How about this one: http://www.thomann.de/gb/source_audio_reflex_universal_expression.htm
Even more expensiv, but You have the XPPedal inclusivā€¦ And lots of possibilities if you enlarge for Midiā€¦

Looks good!

Wow! Awesome Pedal. If programmed right, it would probably talk to you too. Thanks for sharing.
Sincerely, Fingerstylepicker, Stan House.

If you can use your hands rather than your feet, I figured out how to customize a midi pad program for iPhone to give me a tempo encoder, a volume fader, and start/stop/fill/transition/pause pads. This might not work well during a song if both hands are occupied with playing an instrument but would be convenient for making changes between songs.

I could similarly program an encoder for drumset changes too although that appears to be a bit more complicated.

I posted this a little while ago and here it is again. Itā€™s a midi pedal that would plug into the BB pedal via a break-out cable to the midi in on the BeatBuddy. It costs $105 US Dollars. The Breakout cable costs $15. It is programmable for different functions of course but could be programmed to change the tempo on the Beat Buddy preferably with a ā€œHold for fast up or downā€ and then one step at a time for finer adjustment. Just thought you might like to see this again. I think this is the one I am going to purchase for my needs.
http://www.thomann.de/gb/amt_fs_2_midi.htm?sid=acf615c32bbbe6676f872d9370082945

Personally Iā€™d like to disable the double-tap outro function so that if I accidentally double tap itā€™ll just play a fill. Iā€™d then like use the third button for a single tap outro or even be able to do a hard stop regardless where the BB is in the measure. I know you can easily get out of the outro but Iā€™ve found that sometimes stopping a song is a problem for me and I wind up getting a fill instead of the outro or I wind up accidentaly getting out of the outroā€¦ and you should see how bad I can mess it up when Iā€™m also chewing gum!

I would like the third (any of the three) to do all the same functions as the main unit switch. That would allow me to put the BB up at eye/hand level either on a mic stand attachment or on my keyboard.

A 3rd button to enable a sinlge tap transition. I posted in another thread that the trickiest elements of using the BB are the transtion and outro. I now have the footswitch set up to handle the latter and would love to be able to do the same for the former, one tap buttons/switches for all play options :slight_smile:

I added a third switch in parallel with the main switch so I can put the BB up on a chair. During play, I set the two add-on foot switches to do a muted pause and the outro with a single press. I still do a long press of the main pedal to do the transition.

I also did the Norbert Hack and added a remote pedal to do the same function as the main pedal. I donā€™t need the unit on a chair since I have it setup on the two remote switches to change the tempo in play mode and then in stop mode I can scroll up or down in the song folders and then pick the song I want. It works well for me with my full layout of pedals on my pedal board.

With three buttons, I could assign one to Song Advance and another to Song Back and still have the third set to Tap Tempo. Right now, if I want to use the footswitch to go back and forth through my song list, I lose the Tap Tempo capability. If I donā€™t reassign one of the switches to Song Back, then I have to use the navigation on the pedal.

A third switch would be nice even with no added functions.

Just updated to the latest v3.8.0 firmware and it still doesnā€™t look like this has been added :frowning:

I will kill to be able to use a 3 button footswitch.

First switch -> emulate the main pedal (so I can have the BeatBuddy up at hand control level)
Second switch -> to pause/unpause
Third switch -> for accents