Timing on fills

I’m having a lot of fun with this - kinda right at the intersection of musician and geek, I guess…

This answer may be somewhere else, but I searched and did not find it.

When programming a fill with a cymbal crash on the next “1,” should I make a fill 1 measure in length and then put the cymbal just barely before the end so it sounds like it’s on the following downbeat?

I’m grateful for everyone’s explanations of the queue period and how BB will fill the end of a bar with the rest of the fill if the fill is engaged at the right time (before the queue period, right?)

I’ve looked at some of BB’s own midi files, and I’m a little confused. They seem to go beyond the end of the fill. At least one (“BRUSHES- Fill 70 Shuffle full kit dyn sync”) seems to also have a stray note triggered long after the end of the fill (though it works on the pedal). (I’m using logic pro x to work with the midi files, btw.)

If this is all explained somewhere in another post (or video), please point me to it. Thanks in advance for your help.

What I’ve been doing is putting the cymbal crash at the very very last possible “tick” in the last measure of the fill (in Anvil Studio I set the grid to 1/128th notes and add a 1/128th note) so the crash carries over but I don’t interfere with the return to the pattern. Being 1/128th early, your ear doesn’t perceive it as being early

You can just put the crash in the first beat of an extra otherwise empty measure and BeatBuddy will play it seamlessly on regular fills. This appears not to be the case on transition fills - not sure why…