Undocumented feature: Notes Out

The firmware announcement mentioned that Notes could be sent IN to BB for use by DAW etc. and other threads on loopers mentioned the BB also is outputting notes but not much talked about on what the MIDI OUT is. I looked into how BB notes out could be used to trigger external sound sources with no expectation of having a full blown midi editor provided by Singular, just read the midi and play the drums on BB and send all other info out on the correct channels as a normal sequencer would do. No need for pre-mixing bass and drum wav files and building custom kits to try to do.

Steps were:

Created two midi clips in Logic and exported to Type 1 multitrack midi
Assigned Drums to channel 1 (also tested drums on 10), Bass to channel 5
Added to BBManager song and plays drum fine
Midi out to keyboard would only play notes when set to channel 1
Looked at midi file with MidiKit utility and confirmed channels 1,5 notes and program info are exported and set correctly
connected midi output of BB to MAC and checked with MidiMon to see what BB is sending to keyboard
Output of BB is only channel one, no channel 5 data

BB is reading the Type 1 fine and can play drums set to channel 1 or 10
BB output is only sending drums as channel 1, no bass notes are output on any channel

This is a bug in design where a firmware update can correct this and make BB read and output channel, control and program changes. BBM doesn’t need to be enhanced to make this happen and it would blow away all drum machines in flexibility if done.

[ATTACH]1349[/ATTACH] Logic channel 5 added Bass notes

[ATTACH]1350[/ATTACH] Midkit confirms both channels are in exported midi

[ATTACH]1351[/ATTACH] MidiMon confirms only channel 1 is sent out

I’m surprised that note off events are being sent out.

Any advance on the Note Off events? It’s killing my Bass sound using BB as drum controller (not using BB sounds)

I’m on Firmware 2.0.4 and there was talk of an update to address this?

Please do not post the same topic (double-post) in two separate threads. Thank you.

did you mark the bass instruments as “non-percussion”?

Hiya… yes I did. It doesn’t seem to matter as The BB still seems to send instant Note Off commands when sending to the MIDI OUT.

DO you have a different experience? I just want the BB to send the actual midi as written through the MIDI OUT and not add Note Offs unless it’s written in the midi file?

originally, the BB only recognized NOTE ON events, because it was basically only triggering short percussion sounds. it would ignore everything else… however, there is a setting called “release time” which is the time when the BB would stop the triggered sound once it is playing, similar in function to the way a note off would work. you might try adjusting that setting to see if it helps.

Thank you for your efforts to try and assist me. I really appreciate it.

I had already tried the release time, but that seems to be more focused on the choke time for the internal audio sounds. What I’m attempting to do is use the BB to play sounds on an external device by outputting the midi file (that I’ve written in Logic). It works great with the drums, but the Note Off doesn’t affect drums samples as they’re so short, but if I apply it to a bass sound… you really notice the super-short staccato notes. There’s no musicality in it. Not sure why the BB adds Note Offs to the midi output. I have had a couple of brief emails with Singular Sound to see if there is something at my end I can do to correct the issue, but it seems it’s something endemic to the BB. It might be a firmware update one day… the sooner the better for me personally. Cheers