Unreliable External Start/Stop

So I am trying to switch over from the Boss RC-500 but I gig at least 5 times a week and need something very reliable. So far everything is great with the Aeros except for this Start/Stop issue I’m having.

I’m using a Clockstep pedal to send clock & Start/Stop to a Roland TR8s drum machine, then going thru that to a Midi Maestro, thru to the Aeros loop station. I’d say 90% of the time the drums and looper stop as intended, but 10% of the time the drums stop but the stop message doesn’t appear to make it to the looper because the looper keeps playing. Now when I hit start on the clockstep again the drums and looper are wildly out of time until i stop everything again.

I’ve tried moving my Midi cables around but have the same issue so I don’t think it’s a midi cable issue.

The weirdest part is that it’s truly random. There’s no way to tell if it will stop reliably or not so I don’t think I can gig with the pedal just yet, which sucks because everything else is spot on.

Here’s a video of the issue happening.

Hopefully you can help me with a fix!

Cheers

Fun fact, I just tried without the midi maestro and haven’t had the issue without about 100 start/stops

1 Like

You’ll probably be asked by Brennan what versions of the MM and Aeros firmware you’re using and if they’re not the latest, he will probably suggest updating.

Does the start and stop work without the CLOCKstep in your signal chain?

Everything is up to date, and I found out that I only have the issue when the midi maestro is in my chain. When i bypass it, I haven’t had the issue yet. So in my mind the Start message is sometimes getting lost at the maestro

Another fun fact. It appears when I put the Midi Maestro before the Roland TR-8s I don’t have this issue, but I don’t want the “Stop Now” command to effect the drum machine so I have to put it afterwards in my chain. Thats when I get issues though.

So in summary. Everything works when I get rid of the Midi Maestro all together. Everything works when the Midi Maestro is 2nd in my chain. (Clockstep → maestro → tr8s → aeros looper) but I get the issue when maestro is third in the chain, only about 5-10% of the time at random. (Clockstep → Tr8s → maestro → aeros looper)

If you have not done so yet, please contact Support, support@singularsound.com and provide them a link to this topic so they see the video and the rest of your comments.

I am having the same problem after update and using the Aeros as the master. Also having a problem in Aeros, I set the Aeros stop button to end of loop, but no mater what it ends at the end of Measure.

Solved the issue kind of. So when I run my TR8s, apparently it is sending Midi out for every instrument note thats hit. I discovered this because I didn’t have the issue on empty patterns but had the problem a lot on patterns with lots of hi hats, etc. I turned off all of the instruments midi outs and haven’t had the issue yet. Will update if I do.

What’s weird is my setup worked without the the midi maestro so I have a feeling that I was having a Midi buffer overload at the Maestro, and the stop message occasionally got lost.

Hopefully this helps you on your end!