Velcro not sticking....

Does anyone know a way to vet Velcro to stick the the Beatbuddy and the foot switch? I’ve tried three brands of Velcro and I’ve cleaned the rubber backing with alcohol, but I just wont stick.

Hey Steven. Been down that road as well and finished up peeling the rubber off. Takes a while but steady as she goes and you will get it. Once off good quality Velcro sticks well and I haven’t had a problem yet. Hope that helps.

yep I ripped the rubber off and use 3M dual lock. Good luck trying to get it off my pedalboard. The double sided tape on the dual lock is exceptional

Thanks guys. That was the direction I was heading. I just didn’t want to remove the rubber if I didn’t have to.

Steve

When I used a pedalboard I found that the glue would eventually dissolve in our Hawaiian heat into a gooey mess. I finally got some heavy duty/long electrical tie-wraps to fasten down my pedals to my board - I used a Pedaltrain. I had to mount some pedals like a Radial Sound Tonebone rotated 90 deg. in order to fasten it down. Didn’t look too nice but it worked.

Thanks guys. I just pealed the rubber off and the Velcro sticks like it should. I can’t really use tie-wraps with my peddle board due to it’s design.

Steve

The way I mount all my pedals to my Pedalboard which is 5/8" Plywood covered with Heavy Duty Felt is to take the “Bottom Plate” of the Pedal off, drill holes from the plate direct into the Pedalboard where it is to be mounted. The drilled holes are the right size for tapping and installing screws long enough to reach through the Pedalboard to put washers & nuts on underneath. I screw in the screws from the inside face of the plate so that the screws will stick out the bottom when the plate is reinstalled on the Pedal. Care has to be taken as to the location so that the heads of the screws do not touch any electronics or circuit board inside the pedal. If the plate is thin, I generally put a washer under the screw head so the screw will lock up tight without stripping the hole out. When all the pedals are mounted and screwed down tight, they don’t rock or move and stay it place unlike with the use of Velcro. Also, if someone chose to try and steal a pedal off the board, they would have to take the whole board which is bulky and heavy which would be hard to grab and run off with it. Anyway, it sounds like a lot of trouble but it’s not really, and the pedal don’t rock or move. If the pedals have to be moved, it’s not all that hard if you make the pedalboard with a removeable bottom board that you can take off to get to the nuts holding the pedals on. When building a board like this, I always leave enough spaces to add more pedals if needed. Hope this might help a few. Sincerely, Fingerstylepicker.

Ditto on removing the rubber on BB and footswitch! Industrial Velcro from walmart. The BB Footswitch is showing, but I prefer and use 2 of the Roland/Boss momentary FS-5U for quieter operation. They slide together, and last forever. (That’s why the Velcro in my pic is wider than the BBFS)

I used superglue on the velcro, and it has stuck very firmly to the rubber.

Yes, I prefer industrial strength glue backed Velcro too. It seems like every month or so I need to change something out or move something around. Sometimes I will do solo gigs where I just remove a pedal or two and then I don’t need to lug the whole pedalboard. Good Velcro is a must for me.

Just thought I would mention something that I see in the picture. The 120V power source is way too close to your pedals. The 120V needs to be at least 12" to 24" away from any pedals to prevent the “AC Hum”. I imagine it was to show the pedal and the remote switch and that it wouldn’t be hooked up the way it is shown. Also, never run any of your instrument wiring “Parallel” to any 120v wiring. Always cross them at a right angle if possible. This is to eliminate possible hum in the circuits. What is shown is always a “No-No” in the music business. Don’t be mad, just be aware of a known fact.
Sincerely, Fingerstylepicker. It was always fun dealing with AC Hum on stage when there was “Single Coil” Pickups in guitars like Fender. You had to turn sideways to the source to eliminate the hum, so you sometimes couldn’t face the crowd. It created some funny antics when on stage. And then, there was the “Feedback” problems with “Hollowbodies” but that’s a different story. Later!

Just running into this challenge myself. First my thought was, flip the plates (BB and footswitch) over but of course that requires drilling an additional hole as mentioned in another thread. I may still do that to avoid having to remove the rubber pad. Unfortunately this isn’t an option on the footswitch as the reverse side is a grid not smooth medal. So the options are limited to removing the plate, making a new one somehow, or what I might try is seeing if some duct/gorilla/gaffers tape adheres the the rubber well enough to then stick the velcro, or in my case dual lock.

Hack: when playing outdoors, I put the beatbuddy on a very thin piece of wood shelving (probably 1/8" thick) instead of messing around with trying to get on a pedal board. It looks good and keeps the BB in good condition.

I’m still experimenting with the board(s) and power I want to use but for now have the Velcro (I use dual lock) for the beatbuddy and footswitch taken care of. I ended up peeling the rubber pad off the footswitch and flipping the base and drilling the one additional hole needed on the BB itself.

I ran the BB last night off a Pedaltrain Volto, which worked fine except for the noise it introduced through the effects. I need to try a dedicated Volto at some point but they haven’t brought the new ones to market yet. I have been using one for the last year or so to power 5-6 pedals on a PT Nano. With the BB I need a bigger board so experimenting with the setup and a few different options.

The pedal slides away from anyone I watch who has to double tap song endings into it, from a seated position.
As the pedal moves around on the carpet the connections to the outboard pedal, audio and midi are at risk.

I’m not a handyman and don’t know anyone who can drill this thing to flip it.
So, I added pedal board velcro, with self adhesive tape, to the rubber at the bottom of beatbuddy.
but this came off too, fairly quickly, so more experiments needed I suppose.

handyman-midi-drum-computer-programmer-guitarists unite ; )

I went and got some super glue and put a really thin layer on the back of the velcro, so far so good. I used the Gorilla brand.

I just use bicycle chain end piece. unscrew bottom plate and add the end plate. the other end sticks out and you run a small wood screw through that.

My wife gets really mad when I use this technique on her wooden floors :oops:

Ha! I hear you.