What about STEREO on Beat buddy?

Is the presets on BB more dynamic on stereo mode (using both outs ) or Left and Right are exactly same preset just different levels?
by dynamic I meant hi-hat, cymbals left, and on right tom and drum, you know, as example

It may sound better using stereo outs. There is a design error that if you’re doing mono out of the ‘L/MONO’ jack the instruments that are panned right may not sum/mix to that jack properly.
Best way to know is to give it a try in stereo.

The error is described here…
https://forum.singularsound.com/t/outputs-l-mono-r-something-doesnt-seem-right/13432

I ended up building a simple passive resistor ‘mixer’ to sum left and right out of each output. Some drumsets do sound different using this versus just output from the L/MONO jack.
Using 1/4" TS plugs for this…
screenhunter_02-aug-27-19-35

1 Like

Try auditioning the kits using Beat Buddy Manager on your computer’s external speakers. Then you can see or hear which kits have a stereo field built into then

We always run stereo outs (through a stereo Boss volume pedal for dynamics) but consider whether you need to use ‘centered’ kits such as some of those designed by Phil Flood and others when playing live. I love the fills playing across in stereo and do use them but folks sitting at the edges of the speakers’ output fields may lose out. Much like the off axis problems with vocals and all the other issues of putting live sound into a room.

Agreed. i never like a stereo split on live sound, except for a special effect. Like I had one sound guy explain to me one day, “What, you don’t want the people on the left hearing the guitar?”

1 Like

An effective stereo sound field can be achieved in some live sound situations, but usually it’s pretty tough. Every seat needs to be in the coverage pattern of both left and right speakers. Since most directivity comes from the higher frequencies, horn patterns are what matter. Most PA cab horns have 90 degree horizontal patterns, so keep this in mind when setting up/aiming and deciding how much stereo to go after.

I prefer running everything in stereo, but adjust mixer channel pans based on whether I can get a good stereo coverage in a particular setting. For the BB, this means running L/R out into 2 channels on the mixer and panning L/R or center accordingly.

I’ve only recently got into programming the BeatBuddy and find when running through our PA it’s a much better spread running stereo into two inputs on the mixer.

1 Like

Agreed. Stereo all the way. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi all, for smaller gigs we are setup mono through a single Bose tower and subwoofer. When running mono, is there any advantage to running the BeatBuddy stereo using two channels? Will I great greater output or clarity? Thanks in advance.

I have a similar set up - Bose L1 withOUT a subwoofer.
We notice a difference in stereo. The sound is fuller and for some kits, it sounds deeper and richer.
I’m not sure if the crowd notices but both of us in the duo felt it was a much better sound.

Thank you and appreciate the reply. We will give it a shot next rehearsal.

So, this is in the design and not a bug that can be fixed? I don’t currently use a mixer, but I could solder together @MarkF48’s summing box.

This was brought to Singular Sound’s attention and they have fixed the issue in a subsequent firmware update.

2 Likes

Thank you. So you would say at this point there is no advantage to using both BB stereo outputs into two mixer channels while in a mono PA environment?

I don’t see any advantage however, there are performers on this forum that have offered lots of different thoughts based on their experience. The decision you come up with will probably depend on whether or not you use user-created drum sets that pan the instruments to the left and right and whether or not you want that separation. I really like Phil_Flood’s quote, above.

Thanks again.