What i'd like for Xmas

Hi @martythebassplayer first, let me apologize for the delay in responding to this thread. I wanted to get some more solid info from our software team so I could give you real answers.

They have informed me that they expect to have a firmware version to me for testing by the end of this week that will include a setting in the Aeros for what it does when it receives a ‘Start’ command: [Record] [Playback] – you will be able to choose one, both or none. That way you can turn off the automatic recording when starting the BB and start recording on the Aeros when you wish - it will start at the end of the BB measure to keep it in sync. If you have Playback enabled, starting the BB will start Playback on the Aeros if there are tracks recorded on it.

We’re hoping that crossfades make it into this update as well, but we’re not sure yet - we already have crossfades working, but there are some corner cases we’re working on (for example, when changing song parts immediately in freeform mode, the crossfade gets tricky, but we think we have a solution that we’re working on).

Again, my apologies for the late response - I know it’s very frusterating when you have something that could be really awesome except for one crucial issue. Thank you for passionately expressing how important this is to you – we have heard you and will act on it :slight_smile:

Interesting, so why the miscommunication that crossfades would be months away?

Maybe read the email I sent.

@martythebassplayer we just got an update about the crossfades this morning, and we got the good news that the crossfades are already working in most cases. We do still have the corner cases that I mentioned to work out, so I can’t give a rock solid release date for this because bugs are always unpredictable – it could take an hour to fix, or a month. But I would be very surprised if it took more than a month. @BeatBuddy_Support is just being cautious because he knows that you will be very upset if we miss our estimated timeline. So just to be clear… I am not guaranteeing that crossfades will be out soon, but I am expecting it to be not too far off, based on my current knowledge of the situation.

2 Likes

@martythebassplayer we just released a beta firmware with the features you wanted (minus the crossfades): Aeros firmware 2.13.1 (BETA)

That’s great, but we still need some place we can park the Aeros so it ignores all of these midi messages (e.g., the new song dialog) so we can play songs without the Aeros or audition/adjust beats. Both features serve different purposes (and having to repeatedly go-to settings is pretty annoying).

2 Likes

@Quad I’m not sure what you’re referring to exactly… what new song dialog? Play songs on the BB without the Aeros? For that, you’ll need to go to the settings to turn off the MIDI commands, or just unplug the MIDI cable.

audition/adjust beats on the BB? If you can be a bit more specific, that would be helpful. Thanks :slight_smile:

I think what he means, and I would like this, too, is a quick shortcut button on the song or home screen to disable midi start/record commands.

Sure, it could be done by menu diving. Or unplugging cables. But that’s a pain.

I personally would use this all the time, lots of use cases for it, making it a common thing to do.

For example, lets say you’re working on a riff or song section or whatever. You haven’t quite worked it out yet, but you’re using BeatBuddy to get your timing right, and so on. Ok, now you have it and you’re ready to record it in a loop. Press the ‘arm’ / ‘unpark’ button (or whatever), and now the Aeros responds to BeatBuddy like normal. Without having to menu-dive or unplug cables.

Hope that makes sense.

I’m new to the forum and before I new the terms to search for, I started a thread for just this. Several folks responded with work-arounds, but nothing as simple as a direct one-button feature to park/unpark (I like the term ‘park’ :slight_smile: ).

Menu diving is just a pain. Seems like lots of folks have asked for it, so that would tend to indicate it’s common enough that a lot of people would really appreciate this feature.

Thanks!

@DavidPackouz

The general idea is to have some UI “page” or “dialog” in the Aeros UI which causes it to ignore the (BB) midi commands to start/stop/record. The edit song dialog or the song list page are a few ideas. The Aeros home is another. Or create another page. Do it right, and it’s intuitive and reachable via a footpress (“why would I expect the Aeros to respond to midi when it’s on the X page”)

What @bsd said is pretty close; he’s suggesting an alternate approach that uses a command instead of a “place” in the UI that “parks” the Aeros.

Would use this feature to audition beats or simply to play some song with the BB without disconnecting the aeros midi or deep editing a setting on either device. We’re so focused on the Aeros/BB that we forget it might not always be wanted in a song. I’m unplugging/plugging the midi cable multiple times per day.

@bsd @Quad I understand what you guys mean. Thank you for the explanation.

As far as a footswitch command to turn MIDI on/off, that’s something we can build as a MIDI command so you can use a MIDI foot controller (like the MIDI Maestro) to do. I don’t think that we have additional room for features like this to be triggered with the Aeros built in footswitches.

We could build this setting into the home screen. This is what I’m thinking: Right now on the home screen it says “MIDI Sync” and under it, it either says On when it receives a MIDI Signal or Off if it doesn’t. If it says On, we can have the two buttons (Record and Playback) appear next to it that you can toggle On and Off so the Aeros doesn’t respond to the MIDI Start commands like in this video I made for another thread, that way you don’t need to dive into the settings to access these features – would that work for you guys?

1 Like

That would work for me. Using that, I could quickly disable midi start for some period of time while using just BeatBuddy. Then re-enable it very quickly when I want to loop.

Thanks for your willingness to accommodate this!

1 Like

That works and thanks. I do think a command or button to control a midi on/off setting is a complex solution.

As long as the setting is controllable from the Aeros’s foot actions, that is ok. I do think there are “places” in the UI where people would expect the Aeros to not handle these messages (if you’re not in a song…).

Fyi, the stop/start button does not work on the mixer page (and I do expect that to work there :love_you_gesture:).

1 Like

@Quad thanks for noticing the start/stop button in the mixer issue. I’ll get that fixed.