What, no half-time beats?

Hello all. I just purchased the Beat Buddy, got it today. I’m wondering if I’m missing something. For me as a drummer, pianist, and keyboard player I use half-time in songs all the time. A bridge or chorus my change to half-time and then back to the regular beat. Lot’s of music does this, it’s common. I could not find one preprogrammed beat in a half-time feel, except for in the blues 6/8 time signature but what about 4/4?

I hope I’m just missing something, otherwise it’s going back where I bought ASAP. Rather than all the fills and intros, it would be cool to be able to half-time if for a few measures and back with the same switch.

Not sure why this limiting omission is part of such a nice sounding and expensive piece of gear.

For Clapton’s “Wonderful Tonight” I use the Brazilian Samba Funk at 94 bpm. I know this sounds like a weird choice, but it gives the main beats that 1/2 time feel the song needs. The intro doesn’t sound good, but I just use a count-off anyway. I replaced all of the fills with fills from the Blues 2 beat.

Thanks for the tip. That particular beat also just happens to work for Eric Clapton’s “Just Like a Prisoner”. Which is what got us looking for a half-time beat initially. So surprised there aren’t more.

Yes there are not many but with the “Beat builder” Java app or any Midi editor you can make quite a few beats half time by removing every other snare and kick drum. Also check out the ballad songs in the premium content library.

Many thanks for the half-time lesson. Any chance that double-time is just as easy to do?

if you do MIDI , then cc82 and cc83 give halftime and double time.
newcover (singularsound-publicly-downloadable.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com)
page 44

1 Like

Thanks. I do do midi via Beatbuddy Maestro but because of physical limitations I can’t do much foot tapping. I can edit the beats in BB Editor but haven’t been able to effectively create double time yet. I’m new to all this a sadly I don’t have much freetime.

I have the beat buddy mini 2.
Saw your post and searched through my genres.Odd time
6/8 gets the half time pretty nailed.