About the software manager: basic functions

The error occurred on various blues songs. The one i remember for sure is “blues 6 6/8”, even removing accent hits.
No problems on all Brazilian and Jazz songs I managed with.

Blues 3, 4, and 5 gave the error. I gave up there. Needed a 6/8. Also you can’t save a song title with 6/8 description. Have to use 68 or something.

Hm, that’s indeed funny. Looks like as you can’t have slash ‘/’ in the filename (the OS won’t ever allow you), and the files internally store paths (I don’t know why they do actually, there’s no apparent reason to do so), they are causing these errors.

Lol, EXACTLY!

I’ve opened the exported (Blues 3- 6/8) song with a hex editor, and indeed found “6/8” in a folder path inside. I simply replaced it with “6_8”, and it imported correctly :slight_smile: That’s actually so funny, as both paths are not correct (they lead to nowhere), still the first one yields an error. Note, this file path is contained in an exported file twice. Once in a header, and once in a footer. I have no idea why.

TLDR: My first claim was incorrect.

Before exporting a song, rename the song name so it doesn’t have any symbols that are prohibited by the file system. The list of the prohibited symbols is as follows \ / : * ? " < > |
That way you won’t have errors on importing a song.

Lol, you’re a genius! :mrgreen: I’ll try as soon as possible!

Where I have to place this midi file? In a specific folder of the SD card?
And I don’t need any wav file, but just the .mid with the drumsticks, right?

That was very nice to hear, thanks :slight_smile:

Actually, MIDI file is totally unnecessary after it was imported into the BeatBuddy song with manager software, so you don’t need to store it on SD card (but you may use free space on SD card like a usual flash drive to store your personal data).

Yes, unless you want to make your own drumset, you won’t need any WAV files. But even if you do, the previous applies as well - WAV files are completely unnecessary after they were imported. So no need to store them on SD card as well.

I tried to write down the steps I am following because of no copy & paste capability. Probably missed something.

After you associated your performance songs with a BB song, tempo, drum set, etc.

1. Make a new folder on PC (BBS to SNG Exports).
  2. Write down the dozen or so BB songs that you associated with your 80 songs you perform… such as Blues 1, Blues 2, Rock 9, Pop 10, etc. Then pick each of these in BB MRG and export them (change illegal characters first \ / : * ? " < > | ) to the new folder on PC (BBS to SNG Exports). Before exporting I took out intros and outros. Make any changes that would apply to all your songs, not to individual songs. These *.SNG songs will be imported and modified specifically for each performed song.
    2b. The reason for the BBS to SNG Exports folder is… out of the 250 songs you perform you use Blues 2 65 times. You don’t want to export Blues 2 65 times.
  3. Make an (All My Songs SNG Exports) folder on PC.
    3b. The reason for the All My Songs SNG Export is to be able to build sets from a folder (no exporting) of *.SNG songs that are importable and have the actual real song title, tempos, ect.
  4. In BB MGR click organize, then make a new All My Songs folder. For each song you perform import to the All My Songs folder the associated BB song (Blues 2.SNG) from the BBS to SNG Exports folder. Modify it to your satisfaction for the specific performance song. New Tempo, and new Title of the performance song at least. Export it with the title of the performance song to All My Song SNG Export folder. Say yes to save the song and also also save it as BBS song in the All My Songs folder. Do for all your performance songs. Sync project.
    4b. The reason for the All My Songs in the BB itself (alphabetical) is because when someone requests Maybellene you can find it without searching through 20 folders.
  5. Make a SET 1 folder in BB MBR. Import whatever songs you want in the set from All My Songs SNG Export folder. Change the order to your liking. Save. Sync project.

No Pineear, it’s easier. Just use the command “New folder” whithin the bb manager. Then select the song you want to modify, and export it. Then, select your New folder, import the song and modify it as you like. Don’t forget to sync the project to find new folder/song when you use the bb. Hope that helps.

Kind of an odd inclusion, using those restricted characters…

…but, of course, the guys at BB are about fix this and release a new SD card image – right? I, for one, have no interest in unraveling the files in a HEX editor. Hell, I barely have the patience to catalog the goofy names so I can import the beats I want to use in my set lists.

Joe

You don’t have to use any hex editor. You can rename “bugged” songs by clicking on their name within the manger

Exactly. Rename the song to have only letters and digits BEFORE exporting, export, change back to how it was. You won’t have any errors later when importing this song to your new directory.

HEY! PSALM 40!!

Maybe you can help me, because I’m lost. I want to do what you did when you “Had a play last night with the manager software and created a full set…”

You:
1. Created a new folder – I presume you mean in the Songs Tab: Okay I can do that.
2. Found the BB song I wanted to change – Where? I have no files with the extension *SNG on my computer

The rest is moot if I can’t figure out how to import songs/beats/whatever they want to call them. Can you help a brother out?

Please?
And thanks!

Joe

Marcos and Daefecator, that’s kind of my problem – I can’t get any content INTO the software.

What am I missing?

Joe

I give up. I can get nothing accomplished and everything is simply just confusing. I get the learning curve and Im no dummy when it comes to this kind or any kind of software, but this is just confusing. From opening to working to saving, its just to messed up. I appreciate the Alpha, but its got a ways to go to make it usable by anyone but the very most technical savvy user.

I have a ton (around 400MB) of midi samples, cant figure out to import em though. Even if I could, I cant seem to figure out how to apply kits to em or even rearrange or work with em. Its just to much of a curve and I dont have this kinda time. Pedal kicks ass, but looks like Im stuck with teh defaults for a while more.

Hey Mad!

I’ve done some figuring and stumbling-by-accident, and wrote a chunk of tutorial.

http://mybeatbuddy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=464&p=1837#p1837

Might help get you started. Can’t hurt. Much.

Joe

Hi guys, are you guys having trouble creating new songs and naming them or are you trying to do something else with the software. I have found it quite easy to use but I am just starting a new song , naming it and putting in the supplied beats and fills, they play ok when I put my card back in , is that what you’re trying to do or something more

The goofy names are a bit of a byproduct of just how many different files there are, there are thousands of them, and its very hard to come up with logical names for so many files…tbh think they’ve done as good a job as possible with that…But you can’t please everyone

Hopefully some kind of sorting system with descriptions and some ability to mark some favourites will get added, in time,

Don’t get me wrong I am quite critical of this software too, but some of the complaints are misguided, the simplistic of use of the pedal hides a astounding amount of complex data to make it work, the manager exposes a lot of that complexity, so that people with a bit of patience can build up new things.

Basic functions though are pretty straight forward…just focus on the patterns you want and put them in your new or existing songs and you will start to build your own library of standard songs and beat patterns…

Next week I will be creating another set for a Sunday service and plan on making a tutorial video of the process as this seems to be something users are struggling with.

The process is not logical as you can’t just copy a song to a new folder (set list) in the management software. Instead, you need to export it which saves it as an .sng file which you can then re-import back into the manager software to enable you to make changes to it. Once imported you can give it any name you like. You need to do this for each song you want to add to your set.

I hate to say this, but based on what I’m reading this software sounds like it was written for an old DOS system not a 2014 / 2015 GUI drag and drop world. Am I off on this understanding?