Aeros firmware 3.1.x

Sure, what you describe here is neither a download nor a connectivity issue like I’ve described earlier… This probably deserves a separated bug report to track the issue…

@DavidPackouz, @BrennanSingularSound. Could you please clarify the expected requirements for an OTA update to complete ?

• Do we need to start an OTA upgrade from an OTA distributed firmware or any firmware manually installed would work (I would expect so) ?
  • If a stable upgrade (officially available via Wifi) has been installed manually, is it an issue for next OTA available update ?
  • In terms of “disk” space available on the device ?

And maybe others I didn’t list…

FWIW: Definitely support the notion of incorporating a hash check on the distrubuted binaries.

4 Likes

I’m having wifi update issues as well

AFAIK, it’s the same file no matter how you update. Might be some weird issue with how the two updates works, but unlikely.

There’s definitely some issue with the download process separate from the update. I repeatedly am able to detect the update and start the download only to have it hang.

Smells like there’s limited retries or the like.

The two processes could be summarized as something like that:

graph LR A[Download firmware to internal storage] --> B(Consistency checks ?) B --> |Automatic reboot| C(Aeros restarts) C --> D(Apply new firmware) E[Download firmware manually] --> F(Copy to SD Card manually) F --> |Stop/start Aeros|C D --> G[Loop like crazy]

As I agree with you the two files should be the same (assumption), the problem should then be on the first branch obviously…

This leaves us with 2 potential issues:

• Internal storage (this is why I asked what the update process requires as disk space…) as this is a big difference with the manual process using the SD card storage…
  • Or somehow the consistency check fails or worse “modifies” the downloaded file (hopefully not)

Now I initially understood that your problem was occurring when applying the firmware… If the system fails to download the firmware this is a completely different story. Maybe @BrennanSingularSound could disclose the actual url the OTA mechanism downloads the firmware from (I doubt this would be the dropbox used for betas)…

Powered up the Aeros today and it proposed to update to a new firmware. I was running 3.1.10. The update process hangs at Donwloaded Update at 100% and just stays there…

ps: Rebooted and repeated the update process and it worked.

So, is this update available now? I got a message on my Aeros last night that an update was avaialable, but when I tried to do it, it never completed. and I had to turn it off and back on to get it back to where it was. but then told me again there was an update. seems to be a viscious loop.

Seems like the wifi update feature needs more testing.

Sounds like few people did the last beta manual update.

After 3 times trying for an OTA update, the final time worked.

• I tried this morning and it downloaded much too quickly and then jumped straight to the splash screen.
  • Tried again and it downloaded 100% but then displayed an error message to update using a valid file via the SD card.
  • I removed the SD card and tried again. Completed the download and the update process took around 5 minutes and then gave the option to view the CHANGE LOG.

If you are still unable to OTA update, use the file via SD card: (press Home on your computer keyboard and click on the download this file hyperlink (in blue font) and follow David’s instructions.

Thank you all very much for your feedback, we are seeing this, too.

It is a server issue that has been half fixed, all units on 3.1.10 should be able to update via WiFi with no issue now. 3.0.0 and 2.13.2 are still having issues connecting, we believe we have found the solution and will be fixing it ASAP.

Thank you for your patience and feedback!

2 Likes

Are the example values above valid? From what I’m learning, it seems that they should be:

(2/4) ---- F0 7F 7F 03 02 02 02 02 18 08 F7
(3/4) ---- F0 7F 7F 03 02 03 02 02 18 08 F7
(4/4) ---- F0 7F 7F 03 02 04 02 02 18 08 F7
(6/8) ---- F0 7F 7F 03 02 06 03 02 18 08 F7

I want to make sure I understand the time signature midi message format used by Aeros. Thanks!

1 Like

Well I’m going to wait for Wifi to be fixed before I even attempt update. I don’t test out the Betas.

I don’t use the betas either, but you can still use the SD card method for the non-beta update.

I know but it still feels like there might be something wrong with it if it doesn’t Wifi update properly.

That’s actually probably more a bug of the firmware currently installed…

[Update]: Oops, no sorry my bad, I didn’t see this post before …

That will be easy to check… It just means that at some point, all Wifi updates should resume working automagically.

Hi everybody, we fixed the server issue. Wifi update should be working properly now. If not, please let us know.

Very sorry about that!

3 Likes

Yes it worked, no problems.

1 Like

WiFi-update worked without any problem - took about 13 minutes.

1 Like