Aeros Looper and BB

Also, feel free to report it here, so users and potential buyers are aware of what they’re buying :wink:

4 Likes

JBinFW - This is why they SHOULD have included a detailed setup/quick start guide for those who already own the Beat Buddy and need to be able to now sync/setup the Aeros so it works seamlessly w/ the BB. Shipping a product without proper documentation or at least having it available online or an HTML searchable manual that goes over these key things that a brand new user who is LOST and has no clue, is KEY.

1 Like

I might respectively disagree with you, only in that I accept the fact that- when purchasing a brand new product coming out of initial production- I am a bit of a beta tester here. If I wanted a flawless product, I’d wait until it had been out for a few months and had some kinks worked out. So I am willing to accept that there are areas where this might feel…unfinished. There is a video on Youtube describing the settings to hook up to beat buddy, so that was pretty easy, actually. But clearly I was doing things in a way the developers didn’t expect, and that is why it wasn’t working for me. Which is ok with me, because that is the risk you take as an early adopter.

I completely agree that more thorough documentation would be great and super helpful… but the blurb that was included in the box states they have further upgrades and updates planned in the short term, and may be waiting for those before coming out with a full manual. Just a supposition. And I’d have rather had the Aeros a week earlier rather than waiting for them to finish and print new manuals, if I was to be completely honest. I only read the manuals when things go wrong, anyway. :laughing:

I was disappointed to see the full “manual” show up online, just to find it really has very little new information compared with the “quick start”. It does list what some of the advanced settings are, but I can’t for the life of me figure out how I am supposed to access those. They aren’t in either the main settings screen or the song settings screen, as far as I can tell.

1 Like

We do have some tutorials and documentation online, but as JB mentioned above me there are ways to use the Aeros which we didn’t expect and additionally, some aspects of the manual are still in progress as they’re dependent on future updates to the pedal.

@JBinFW We should have another revision to the manual up (Hopefully) before the end of the week, and in general there are going to be constant updates. Feel free to check back frequently or send me an email or DM if you’re curious whether it’s updated and/or what’s new.

In regards to the advanced settings, what settings specifically are you looking for?

So the settings mentioned in the manual (the version I had from the website earlier this week, anyway) are the click track output- right now there is no way to route that to the mains, as far as I can tell. The manual mentions this could be sent to aux out, main out, or both. It would be helpful to have that available (especially when using away from BB) when putting down a track. But there is no click track setting in global or song-specific setting menus I can find.

The other settings mentioned in the manual have to do with changing parts or recording next track- whether that should start at the end of the bar or at the end of the loop. I don’t see those settings in the Aeros, either. Similarly the backing track feature mentioned in the manual is missing, but not something that I would use at this point, anyway. (When we can add tracks to different song parts it will be a different story, I’m sure. I know that’s planned for a future update).

I’ll definitely look forward to having time stretching available in the future. Right now I just have to make sure the tempo on BB matches that shown for the song. Which is working fine, as long as I remember! I understand completely this is still a work in progress, but really I’m loving it already. Can’t wait for it to get even better in the future!

1 Like

I left the Aux Out Routing on Click. Then ran a cable from the Aux out to an unused channel on my keyboard amp. This give me the click track while I record, and it works quite well.

1 Like

I understand it’s in the aux out. I was just answering Anthony’s question about the missing setting options. In the manual online, it says there is an option to route the click to the main out, aux out, or both.

In practice, if not using the BB, it would definitely be nice to hear that click track while getting started laying down a track. The aux out would allow you to route that to monitors rather than front of house, so it makes sense that is the default. Using it in the practice room, though, I don’t have a spare input to send the aux, so I’d have to actually plug up a separate amp. So it’s not practical in that setting for me.

So I’m not sure if the settings mentioned in the manual just haven’t been implemented in the firmware yet, or whether there is a missing “advanced settings” menu that I’m either unable to find or access. But what I’ve been able to do with it so far, I’m otherwise happy with.

Ah - looking at it you’re right that setting is not there. Interestingly enough, I’m not seeing it on the development timeline as either a bug or missing feature.

Most likely, what happened is that when we switched over from an older ux to the current ux (previously, all screens had a similar look to the songs screen) the setting was forgotten/not carried over to the new design. This means the functionality is likely there we just need to re-add it to the design of the settings page.

I’m adding to the development list now as one of the higher priority items, and we should hopefully have it good to go soon! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Maximum SD card size for Aeros? Found the answer - 32GB, same as BB.

2 Likes

I think having a 1 page insert in the physical box and showing the link to the ONLINE html manual is best as its easier to have 1 place to access it, for SS to update it and keep it updated so that everyone has the same version available to them and it cuts downon printing $$ and shipping weight to print a physical manual that adds weight which means more $$ to ship. A change log of the known bugs as well as what they are working on would be idea. Take a look at the users bug reporting structure that Adobe uses for their products like Lightroom, Photoshop, etc where users can report bugs or quesitons and experts can verify and open tickets and track IN PROGRESS, COMPLETED, VERIFIED, etc status of each issue. I realize SS is not even close to the size of Adobe but just a thought as SS adds more products and gets more issues on a daily basis and grows their customer base. Thinking outside the box and running a product thru things that users dont normally do or should do but MIGHT do is a typical test/sandbox most companies do to work out the bugs at the shop. Give the product to a non company employee to see what they can do or cant do with it and where they stumble or have questions…thats the real test

1 Like

I’ll agree that life will be better for future purchasers with more complete documentation, and something physical to start with (there are a couple sheets of paper in the box, which point to the start page on the website). It appears the Aeros has the capability to access the “quick start” manual on the unit itself (via the home screen), but that doesn’t seem to be functional at this point.

Kind of to your original point, there isn’t any discussion of using BeatBuddy at all. The YouTube video was my only source of info there. The BeatBuddy manual was pretty darn thorough back when I purchased that a couple years back (after meeting Anthony at GearFest)- much more than I needed at the time. That makes me feel a much more thorough offering is ultimately going to be coming (even if digital- which as you mention, is preferable in the sense it can be updated as new features are added).

I think the takeaway here is that the Aeros is a partially-finished product at this point. And I do feel like that “non-employee” who is taking their new tool out for a spin… which is kind of what I expected when ordering the initial shipment. I agree that a central “wish list/bug report” area might be helpful for everyone (rather than just random threads on the site here).

3 Likes

Avoid a return midi link to the BB. Just link from the BB midi out to the Aeros midi in. Mine works fine. No doubt the return link will be sorted in future updates.

Not sure to which point you were making your comment, but I never had a midi return to the BB. That wouldn’t have made any sense, and I don’t have that many short midi cables. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

The main issues I was having in regards to syncing with the beatbuddy had to do with ending up with one measure loops (as noted above, fixed by stopping the loop with the Aeros RPO button rather than the BB) and the fact that the tempo is “locked in“ on the Aeros once the loop is saved (which is just the way it is… for now :crossed_fingers:t2:).

Well… i cant get past the one bar loop. I have tried stopping the loop with the RPO button and the bb but still it only saves the first bar. How am i supposed to set this up?

What is your setup? Have you followed the instructions on Youtube for connecting your BB and Aeros? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvAiCoIxXa0

Yes i watched the video … it told me nothing new. I do notice though that i am actually recording the drums in the 1 bar loop. How are you supposed to plug them in the signal chain? Right now i have them in a loop from my kemper into the BB IN - BB OUT into the Aeros IN - Aeros OUT back to the kemper return. The midi splitter goes from the BB OUT into the Aeros IN.

I have signal chain going into the Aeros first then the BB. I never record the drums with the Looper. Works well.

1 Like

You can configure which inputs are included in the loop. I have the BB going into the looper through the stereo input, and I switched off that port as a loop input. It works well.

SD max size still 32?

Yes

1 Like