Aeros noise saturation (solved)

Hi all,
I have a problem with the Aeros sound quality.

Output is saturated and it seems to be getting worse with the last two updates (2.11 then 2.13.2).

What happens is that sound is distorted when my guitar is plugged through the Aeros. Sound is fine as it should be when plugged straight into the amp. But since I spent several hundreds to get an Aeros, I’d prefer it plugged in rather than on the shelf :wink:

I tried both impedance settings (2.13 only) : “line in” setting doesn’t do any good (weaker signal all “rounded off”’). I had noticed that output volume was higher than bypass with 2.11. I can’t remember that happening with previous versions prior to 2.11.

Very annoying. Not a pleasure to play anymore.

Does that ring a bell anyone?

Thanks,
Laurent

Are you adjusting your input volume with the master wheel when connecting your guitar? It’s possible it’s too hot.

The master volume wheel only affects playback, not live signal, right?

Hi Anthony,
Thanks for the reply. I not quite sure whether you mean I can adjust the input volume rather than the output but I’ll give it a try and let you know.
L

Follow-up: I did the following tests, with the same results:

• all tests performed in bypass condition with the screen having the six top level menu boxes (ie not in loop playback mode),
  • tried moving the Aeros master wheel jsut before and after plugging guitar in: no change on output signal strength or quality,
  • tried L and R channel separately,
  • compared sound with guitar going through the Aeros or straight into amp.

Sound volume is comparable, but sound misses some trebles and saturates the basses with the Aeros. Noticeably poorer. Equipment: Laney tube amp, Seymour Duncan mikes.

Am I doing anything wrong? Any further tests I could do to narrow down search?
Thanks,
L

1 Like

Hi,

If it’s true that the Aeros doesn’t use the original incoming signal anymore and the output signal is being altered and not the original sound anymore that would be really a shame.

I hope one of the officials will clarify whether this is really the case.

Best regards,
Pim

@Pim ? How’s the sound quality with you own Aeros? Did you notice anything comparable or is it just with my cables or bad luck?

@LaurentP13

The thing is that I didn’t update since I’m still waiting for a couple of features to arrive.

So I can’t really answer your question. But if your observations are true I would become concerned because I really want the output to sound the same as the input.

I played around with the new update, last night, everything sounded good to me. Still can’t rename songs, but that’s the only problem I noticed.

@LordRadish Thanks fo letting us know. I’ll try again with other cables…
@AnthonySostre any thoughts?

Apologies, my original message wasn’t as clear as it could’ve been,

When you plug in an instrument, you can move the master volume wheel to bring out output volume as well as a meter for whether or not your input is peaking. If that is in the red, you need to back your instrument volume down a tad, either directly on the guitar or through another effects pedal in your chain.

A few other things to try:

• is it possible you’re experiencing some sort of interference?
  • Are you running strictly into the aeros or is there an effects chain?
  • Shared power supply or isolated?
  • Have you tried with multiple cables to rule that variable out?

@AnthonySostre
Thanks.

• yes, the meter does show one or two reds when I play very loud, yet if I tune the wheel dow, I get a lower signal out of my amp than when plugged direct. My previous looper didn’t do that. I will try cranking down the Aeros and cranking up the amp to see what it does.
  • I removed all other chain elements for the tests
  • isolated power, yes I cheked that as well
  • have not yet tried the cables. will do that tonight (should have!)
    L

So, don’t turn the wheel on the Aeros lower, turn the volume on your instrument lower. once it’s not showing any red, you should be able to turn the wheel on the aeros up to increase the output volume if so desired without any distortion from an input that’s too hot.

Thanks. Problem solved. That was that. Sorry I did not realize that earlier. I was surprised because my old looper never frowned at my guitar settings.

So two things I learned today:

1. The vu meter on the Aeros is not solely for decoration. By setting my guitar volume a bit lower, compensating by a bit more on the amp, I was able to produce a comparable sound to the situation w/out the looper in between.
  2. Having a product with improvements going on, I tended to notice and focus on the imperfections more easily. There are still very subtle sound differences, but my old looper also had these.
1 Like

@AnthonySostre Can we use the aeros master volume wheel to control the output volume of the live signal?

AFAIK, the current Aeros software only lets you control the volume on recorded parts that are playing back.

That said, it would be very useful if the Aeros let you control both the:

• Input volume (to avoid input clipping). The only thing close to this is the sensitivity setting (which is not as useful here)
  • The volume of the live signal.

Have to say the Aeros is much more sensitive to the input signal than other loopers I’ve used. Not sure why, but it is definitely something i have to pay a lot of attention to with the Aeros.

It will be very interesting to have input management with panoramics and gain level

It’s certainly possible to implement functionality that allows you to control both input and output volume, but up until now we hadn’t had a good way of implementing that made sense for live performances. Any solutions we thought up would’ve been a burden for users.

However I think I have an idea on how to make it work in a convenient way and will discuss with the devs. :slight_smile:

If it helps, it’s ok if adjusting these volumes causes all outputs to mute for a period. Could manage this in some live situations.

Obviously better if no disruption, but some control with a trade-off is better than no control.

If the problem is screen real estate, Anthony, I’m sure the Main Output fader on the mixer screen could probably be narrower and okay, probably even be the width of one of those columns, instead of two. I think, if they end up adding panning, they’ll probably want to make the faders a bit smaller, just to fit the pan function.