Anyone regularly gigging with BeatBuddy?

@Restless Ray, dig the Hot Rod! I’m partial to Gretsch myself:

[ATTACH=full]5011[/ATTACH]I hope to be getting the BB in the next month or so and putting it to good use in my duo’s set.

Love the Gretsch collection! You’ll also love the Beatbuddy…I have been having a blast using it! You won’t be disappointed.

We have been using the Beat Buddy in a live situation for over a year. Here are the details:

SETUP
· We are a trio playing classic and modern pop….rock.
· Instruments include an acoustic guitar, bass guitar, electric guitar, 3 microphones, and the BB.
· Our P.A. is a Phonic Powerpod 1860.
· Everything runs directly through the P.A. The bass player uses a small bass amp for more bottom.
· We use a personal monitor system from Hear Back Technologies so each person controls his own mix.
· In tandem with the personal monitor system, we use a Shure wireless system and in-ear monitors.
· Because of the in-ear monitor system, there is no stage volume, other than the bass amp. No floor monitors.

BeatBuddy Pros
· Right out of the box, the BB is easy to use and super fun. Pick a beat, adjust the BPM, and play along.
· The BB has brought a new energy to our band. The songs have a new life with drums added.
· Since adding the device we have adjusted our song selection to match what the BB can do.
· Some songs work perfectly with no change needed other than the BPM (Beats Per Minute).
· We use a combination of purchased beats, standard beats that come with the device, and beats created by users on this forum. For example, we use a purchased beat for “All Apologies” by Nirvana, a user created beat for “Crazy Little Thing Called Love” by Queen, and a standard Blues beat for “The Middle” by Jimmy Eat World.
· The footswitch is very useful and precise. I have the left button set as a symbol crash and the right button set to pause or restart the drums. For songs that stop and start, this works great.
· Unlike humans, it makes no mistakes. This can be good, and bad.

BeatBuddy Cons
· Practicing with the BB is easy and fun. Adding it to a working band, requires effort and practice.
· Some songs seem impossible to get to work with the device. The more complicated a song is, the tougher it is to make it work. As the lead guitar player, I control the BB. It requires a lot more focus and attention in a live setting. I sometimes play guitar, sing, play keyboard and manage the BB. Sometimes it’s too much.
· I find the footpedal on the device to be clumsy. I wish it worked more like the buttons on the footswitch.
· The drum intros and outros are almost useless to me. I remove them both using the app. I add a 4 count lead in for songs that require it. The BB has a feature that blinks relative to the BPM to assist with tempo, but only the person closest to the device can see it. We each use a set list app called Bandhelper on our Ipads attached to our mic stands that has this same feature. The feature is very useful for songs that begin without drums.
· I have several spare SD cards in case of disaster.
· The BB volume can be an issue. If it’s not loud enough, it’s easy to get away from the beat. If it’s too loud, like most drummers, it’s all you can hear, which drives a vocalist crazy. Our answer to this problem is the personal monitor system. Each person has their own mix. If the drums (or anything else) is too loud, simply turn that instrument down in your own mix.

Feel free to contact me with any questions or interests.

Joey
jacartwright@hotmail.com

Thanks for the detail Joey - mirrors our experience almost to the last detail! I play mostly rhythm and control BB - we all play bass at turns and sing and I’m still trying to get our lead guitarist to join us with IEMs and lose the QSC12 wedge on the floor that over powers our PA!

We use UnReal Book on iPad for chords/lyrics in set list order and it allows a cool definable button where I can invoke a few seconds of sample recordings (like Crazy Train intro and Pink Floyd) to add some interest.

I’ve found as you might often from serendipitous accident we can use some intros in interesting fashion - after an intro guitar riff or underneath as a ‘simultaneous’ start.

All help appreciated…new to forum and new to Beat Buddy… My initial idea is to send BB output to Ch 2 on Tone match digital mixer > F:O:H Bose L1 model 2, (Ch 1 for vocals) then from Aux out on Tone Match > Ch 1 Fishman Loudbox acoustic amp with mix of vocal and BB for monitor, (Ch 2 acoustic guitar) or i use a separate 10" behringer monitor for to hear BB only. Any body with thoughts on how this might work?

HI…
Is anyone using the program “set list / Band Helper” for a " Android" ? that works OK with Beat Buddy to select songs that can set up / tempo / drum sets / etc… using midi options?

Good question. I would like to know if Bandhelper can work with an Android also.

Yes I use Setlist maker on my Samsung tablet and it works great ask me any questions you have and hopefully I can give you a clear answer :slight_smile:
I select beats, tempo, set volume and pick drum sets. I do not us bandhelper but I believe the Midi setup is the same.

If you select a song on your tablet does it automatically come up on the beat buddy ready to play when you hit the pedal thru midi connections ?

Yes I have it set in setlist maker that when a song is selected the correct beat temp volume and drum set is selected.

What size tablet?

[SIZE=4]Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1"[/SIZE]

Sounds good… We use a lot of Real Book Jazz Standards… can I upload them and easily View them with the song / set list & use the Midi Settings for Beat Buddy? & How is the Quality of the pdf ?

Hi kenardo - I would suggest just downloading the free version of setlist maker and checking that out. For me it views Pdf’s nicely but that feels like a personal preference and something you should try out. For android devices I haven’t found any other music set list app that dos as much as setlist maker dos. I have to mention that the developer is a great guy who really tries to fix any issues as quickly as he can. So support is very good. Overall - support and functionality of this app is great

Thanks… I’ll Check it out… & see if I can get more info from Set List Forum & the website.

I play in several bands with live drummers but started working last year doing some solo gigs, focused on clubs, coffee shops, etc. where a live drummer wouldn’t work. I really tried to be something different (I live in a place where every solo acoustic guy is either playing sets of Prine and Dylan OR they are “loop” kings, completely dependent on that technology) and have a set list that runs from my own originals to Squeeze, Led Zep, Nirvana, Foo Fighters…and back to some of the blues, funk and soul stuff that I play in my other bands. I like the flexibility of being able to turn on a dime and pull something out that might fit the situation however…there are limitations with just me and an acoustic, plus harps in a rack. I do a pretty good job on my own extending songs and doing some creative things, but…damn.

As I’ve said in other threads, my wife is a bass player and we do a lot of live band stuff together. We decided to turn my solo act into a duo and to focus on music we love which also includes some modern rock (Halestorm, Highly Suspect, Sick Puppies, etc.). We are also going electric for this thing, both using sansamp tech of various makes. But…drums? I looked at the new Digitech Trio which seems cool…but is really, really limited in real applications. The drums sounds also sucked for the most part. The BB seemed like a better option…especially because I thought it could work for recording too.

Yup…found a used one. Updated the firmware and started working on set lists and such. We are a band. I recently added a Ditto looper to my board and now I have “chip” the drummer and his younger brother on rhythm guitar.

We use one top from my powered PA (Carvin) for most venues. I’ll add a second, plus a monitor if the stage is big. Without amps and Chip the BB we can actually load our board, pedal boards, PA and instruments into a small sedan and we are down the road. It has a big rig feel and sound, but we can fit in a corner of any bar or coffee shop.

This damn thing is the best recording device I’ve also ever owned. I feel free as a bird now to create at will with a small interface, my laptop and sans amp pedals. Seriously…my entire recording studio fits in a small tackle box so I can write and record on the road too. Awesome!

1 Like

+1 for Halestorm

Got any Halestorm beats mapped out? Amen and I am the Fire are in process on my end. Lzzy is one of the best singers in rock right now IMHO…

Not yet.

I’ll start posting some of my stuff at some point. I’ll have a lot of that very soon.