BB Sends time signature to Aeros upon song start (and periodically?)

From the docs:

PLEASE NOTE: The time signature is only
sent from the BeatBuddy when you first load a song on the
BeatBuddy. So if you start a new song on the Aeros, you will need
to change the song on the BeatBuddy for the time signature to be
sent.

Change this to also send the time signature when the song starts/stops. Also would be goo to send this periodically (e.g., upon the start of the BB loop/changing parts).

If this would be a compatibility issue for other devices, make this be a setting to enable.

Feel free to move this to the BB forum as this will not require a change to the Aeros. (Although a bidirectional midi integration of the two devices could solve this in other ways).

1 Like

Already done in the tested BB version! It’s not officially beta, but for this reason I’ll tag as #beta

1 Like

This is something I always thought would be handy - having the Aeros sync to the time signature of the Beatbuddy. Lo and behold, it does! I had no idea!

I’m curious. It turns out that if I connect the Beatbuddy directly to the Aeros, the time signature sync works. However, if I run the Beatbuddy as a MIDI master into my Helix, and then use the Helix’s MIDI Out/MIDI Thru to connect to the Aeros, I get everything except for the time signature sync.

@BrennanSingularSound Do you know how the time signature sync is implemented? Is it using a MIDI standard to do this, or is it doing something relatively proprietary? The Helix’s MIDI thru should be relaying all MIDI messages received (which it appears to be doing), so I’m surprised that this functionality doesn’t work for me. I’m curious as to the root cause. (If this is unexpected behavior, I’m willing to do a little bit of MIDI debugging, as well.)

Thank you!

It should be sent as a sysex message.

Ah. If it’s SysEx, then my experience is due to a well-known behavior of the Helix - it doesn’t forward SysEx messages. For now, i can just change my MIDI cable configuration (it seems that there are benefits and drawbacks to all three possible configurations), but at some point I might invest in some type of MIDI switch.

Thanks for the information. Saved me having to debug the messages in MIDIpipe. I appreciate it!

Hey there,

You can find the specific hex values for Time Signature here

Sorry to hear about the Helix!

Also, this was #completed once BB started sending Time signature every 3 seconds in v3.9.9!

A post was split to a new topic: Time signature sync issue