BeatBuddy AutoPilot 2020?

There are two things … a loader and an editor…
let them be two things. combining the two will lead to slow updates to both.
this is the situation you apperantly have now.

With the new loader coming, and new work being done potentially on an editor… I will quit hurting myself by reading the code you have posted on github.

1 Like

Setlists or playlists will be references to existing songs in folders available in your project. There will be support for 17 playlists. The firmware will support the creation of playlists, adding and removing of songs, which means that you’ll be able to do those things right on your BB.
We’ve also had discussions on making everything compatible and easy to use with 3rd party apps like OnSong. More details will be available a little later down the road.

@robertg The loader is the first part of the software which is mostly completed. I will be testing the latest build shortly. The editor will be the next phase of development. There won’t be a need for much development for the loader, once the initial version is released. But, it will be fairly straightforward to update since it was built on solid ground.

1 Like

Is this a MIDI editor or just for editing and compiling existing song parts?

GoranGrooves

28d

@Neil_McCann and @lugoluis Since you say that the editor isn’t that bad, I am curious: have you guys actually used a pro-level midi editing software?

I’ve used Reaper, Adobe Audition and other free DAWS but have never got on with them as far as editing songs is concerned, but that’s probably because the drumsets I create don’t necessarily follow midi standards.

What would be a worthwhile DAW to use?

Are you planning to have a way, in AutoPilot perhaps, to allow different sections to have different tempos and different meters? Like be able to speed up, slow down, and switch back and forth from 4/4 to 3/4, or add a 2/4 bar. things like that. I haven’t had any luck with doing this in the current BB Manager.

2 Likes

@Neil_McCann

Is this a MIDI editor or just for editing and compiling existing song parts?

The editor is for compiling song parts into songs (adding midi files). It is not a midi editor.

@tERRY_mARTIN

What would be a worthwhile DAW to use?

Any daw with a midi editing capability will be a better choice over the current midi editor in BB Manager. I use Cubase.

@JLHerrmann

Neither the firmware nor the current BB Manager supports multiple time signatures within the same section. This is a functionality that will need to be added irrespective of the autopilot.
The autopilot will enable all currently available manual functions to be automated. The tempo changes is something that will likely have to be implemented at a later date after the initial AP is introduced.

BTW I tested the RC5 of the BB Loader last week. It is coming along wonderfully, but there are still a few bits that need tightening. Will keep you posted.

Apologies for the late reply, @tERRY_mARTIN.
I see that @GoranGrooves answered your question.

My preferred DAW is Logic Pro X. I mostly use it for complex beats and to create One Press songs here and there. But, yeah, any decent DAW does the same job.

Cheers!

1 Like

Yeah, how about just having a different section with a different time signature. Like, for example in “We Can Work It Out” has the section where it goes into 3/4 “for fussing and fighting my friend”.
But then also setting a different tempo in a different section would allow for easier medleys, or picking up the tempo at the end of a song

@JLHerrmann

Yes, you can any number of single time signatures, each in a different song section.

Oh. That can be done now? I didn’t see that. But not the tempo, right?

@JLHerrmann That’s correct.

you can embed the time sig into the midi “part” and it will load the new one… the tempo isn’t really controlled by “part” though, but you can use a midi controller to send a new tempo midi command along with the change part command, or simply send the change tempo command by itself via midi

S’been a month since the last post here. I wonder if we could have a status update?

Sorry for being quiet. I have been away on vacation, getting my sanity back, and have just returned. Developers have been continuously working on the software in the meantime. They have been implementing the playlist feature amongst other things. I have a PC and Mac versions waiting for me to test (hopefully today). I’ll report back soon.

3 Likes

Super! I hope you had a great vacation!

Thanks, @sj1 . Yes, it was a really badly needed break and a change of space after over a year of sitting at home.

I have been testing the new BB Loader software since yesterday and it is coming up wonderfully. The developers have completed around 110 bug fixes, improvements, etc to date. They should have the release candidate #9 for me to test tomorrow! I’ll see to make a little video teaser soon :wink:

We are itching very close to the actual release. I’ll report back soon.

4 Likes

An update: I tested the latest built and confirmed that song, folder and drumset export was implemented. Playlists were also implemented :slight_smile: Yay!
The developers are now working through the quirks I reported and getting the look consistent for the playlists and drumsets, as it is for songs. As soon as I have those looking good on my end, I will post the video.
I insisted that we must have those export options before making the initial version publicly available. So, we are very close…

11 Likes

@GoranGrooves any new updates?

I am afraid not yet. They didn’t manage to push the latest update this past week. Let’s hope we get something at the beginning of next week. They have been working on it, but haven’t compiled a new version of the software.

been away for a while what with COVID and other stuff, but this IS exciting stuff!