BeatBuddy Firmware 4.1.x “Options, lots of options!”

@rossmusic, have you tried BB as a slave to your DAW to see how it handles the slow down? I haven’t strictly speaking done this but I find I can use my tempo slider on my iPad the BB slows to the new tempo quite well (and my audio looper time stretches, etc). BUT… only works if someone else is playing guitar and I am free to ‘operate’ the BB from screen (but I guess I could assign an external pedal to send new tempo to BB (I use MIDI Designer pro and StreamByter on my iPad for crap like that).

I can see two possible solutions: a pedal that is mapped to send the tempo change to BB or external source of tempo (time code). I also run Cubasis on my iPad… it does some things like that better than my desktop!

The “slow down” pedal isn’t that hard to create. Eg If I did that… I’d dial the new tempo to send when that pedal is pressed… and press it last bar of song half speed ending.

Not being awful, but you’re actually using the BB as a MIDI player with nice drum sounds. You could still use the BB as the lovely sound source and just send the notes from a midi player on something like a phone or tablet? The midi player will happily speed up and slow down at beginnings and endings?

Let me know if you need more info or help setting up a “slow down” pedal!

@BrennanSingularSound
Where do you want bugs sent? I have some bug details now that I’m digging deeper into “no fill” transitions and even one thing missed (I think) in fix of transition from pause. Happy to beta test if required.

Thanks for your reply but with respect, you’re missing my point! If I want to use the BB as a drum sound processor, I could use a multitude of different bits of kit.
I use Sonar to create my midi drum files and in doing so the BB works fine with tempo change messages being sent and received perfectly. When I save the midi drum file (with tempo changes included) and create a song file in BBM the tempo changes either get ignored or are lost in the conversion from midi to sng file.
Back to my reason for buying the BB, I want to create and use the Beat Buddy as a player of midi drum tracks without the complications of lugging around additional bits of kit. The one press capability of a single pedal is perfect but as far as midi capability, it’s a pedal that is unfinished with the absence of such an important feature as midi tempo speed control.

I use the BB as master so all my songs are at the tempo I set them to.

So do I, but can you get it to slow the tempo at the end of a song by using control messages within the midi file developed in a DAW?

Rossmusic, have a good look at some tutorials phil flood has put up. He shifts the notes across bar to achieve same effect (as if slowing or speeding up) while BB happilly plays along at same ‘tempo’. It means that beats don’t match visual display while you’re notes are at odd intervals… but it’s the bird in the hand right now.

It’s in two parts and the files got lost (a crash and a site name change?) and were then reposted by Phil , so bear with it… but it could help you… if you use Logic pro… but most DAWs have some sort of time stretching/loop or part sizing ability. I use Cubase and while I haven’t done what Phil is talking about… I know I could.

Tutorial part 1

Part 2

1 Like

I am not able to download the firmware. The link seems broken.

Just tested and the link appears to be working:

1 Like

Yes, this is what I do. It is a compromise, it takes a little bit of extra time, but it works. No MIDI necessary.

1 Like

I would suggest starting a dialog with support@singularsound.com about how to best get your workflow set up in a way that works best for you.

We didn’t think this would be necessary since the BeatBuddy can already do this with one tap. Fill with one tap is possible via MIDI.

We do have a control change for it, but it does not work in the way your system supports maybe. It’s possible you would need a tempo command that changes the BeatBuddy’s tempo value by value based on the CC value. We do have that (sort of) in the form of a MSB LSB and PC NRPN, meaning if you sent all three values it can open a specific tempo from 40-300BPM. This is explained in the BeatBuddy Manual in the MIDI section.

This is what I would suggest, the BeatBuddy does change tempo on the fly to incoming clock

You can either post them on the forum as a new thread in the appropriate category or report them to support@singualrsound.com

Thanks for your patience

There is built in functionality in the MIDI Maestro to control BeatBuddy tempo by default, plug and play.

So this is possible. The problem arises when trying to allow for control of all the tempo range when there are only 128 values in a CC command. We did our best to solve this in our own proprietary format using the MIDI Maestro and an Expression pedal.

The BeatBuddy only responds to the notes and the time signature of MIDI files.

Thanks for all the feedback!

Thanks for your detailed analysis but!!! The convenience of using the BB goes out of the window if it can’t recognise the midi messages without additional kit.
Yes my DAW is either Sonar, or Cakewalk which sends midi messages to the BB acting as a slave. However, it seems that the conversion of the midi file to a .sng in BBM dumps the vital midi messages. If only the BB could act as a midi file player, all would work fine.
I didn’t think I would have to buy additional kit to create songs that get me back to working with responsive midi files with volume, panning and tempo changes within my songs.

BeatBuddy firmware version 4.1.4 download link has been added to the original post :point_up_2:

4 Likes

:tada: :tada: :tada:

1 Like

HI,David.What I am concerned about is whether the CC command sent at the end of the transition can have multiple options, such as CC84 Or one of CC80-87(for RC-5). There are also other CC commands for other loopers.Thanks!

We do not prioritize full compatibility with 3rd party loopers for pretty obvious reasons, the Aeros is the looper made to be compatible with the BeatBuddy.

There are 3rd party appliances I’ve seen mentioned on the forum that can change CC commands into a desired one, this may solve your issue

Thanks for your question

Okay, I’ll go search for it. Thanks!

1 Like

Hi all,

we are considering making the Transition Forgiveness setting enabled by default

Is anyone still having issues when it is enabled?

Is there a particular reason why you want to make a non-passive change like that? People who want it can already turn it on.

Seems like there was pretty strong sentiment that the ability to utilize a full measure transition was more valuable than fixing a “playing mistake (late transition)” that it doesn’t seem like very many people are having.

Hey there,

It is not that simple, the BeatBuddy does not work correctly with the Aeros as master unless transition forgiveness is on. So unless the setting causes issues when turned on, it makes more sense to always have on and let people turn off if it bothers them.

Again this only affects the midi control not the main pedal function,

Thanks for the question!

2 Likes

Would this affect only newly shipped Beat Buddies? Or would you silently change the setting for people that upgrade?

It’s risky to change a setting on a upgrade without some sort of prompt/choice in the UI…