BeatBuddy Manager available date? [COMING SOON]

Hi Guys, I wanted to pop in here to say that I completely understand everyone’s frustration. I have to admit I’m pretty frustrated myself… but I realized that yelling at my software engineers won’t make them work faster, it would just stress them out and even more bugs would get into the software and the delays would be even longer.

It does seem to be the nature of software development that it’s difficult to predict when it will be complete. When you fix one thing, a few other things sometimes break. Even the richest tech company in the world, Apple, released software (Apple Maps) that was filled with problems – not that I want to be making excuses. I promised you guys the software, and we will deliver.

We are really very close. Please hang in there.

Thanks for the explanation.

But how close?

Thank you Dave and others for the response(s), I appreciate the fact of being able to use this forum for info., as I too have been wondering when I can acquire the manager software; might I suggest you send an email to all of us regarding the status’?
Also, words for thought, to prevent your server(s) from crashing when it is released, maybe look into mailing a disc with the software directly to us?

Just like I payed for a midi cable and foot pedal, I would pay a few bucks for a disc if it were offered …to cover the shipping and cost of the disc.

David, as a software developer…can I point out that statement is not wholly accurate, yes big projects have a degree of uncertainty about them. But this is not a big project, its quite contained and specific especially when we have videos from January showing what I assume was an early working version of the manager.
This kind of database, editor system is not rocket science, your developers are ripping you off…I could have written something like this in a few weeks.
You need to fire their asses.

As a software developer myself as well, I was thinking what you say like 10 or so years ago, when I was just starting commercial development.

The most important thing you are missing here - while the project is definitely not a rocket science, it is also not the simple utility that you are intending to use alone. It has much more functional than what would be feasible for a single person to develop. And when you take more than one software engineer to work on the same codebase, they definitely do not add up mathematically. 1 + 1 not equals to 2 when calculating the number of workers to the amount of time the task will be completed in. It’s more like 1+1 belongs to [1.2, 1.4) at best, and this is especially true the more workers you have.

As for making everything alone - while it seems a good solution, it is pretty risky from a business standpoint on top of having the biggest timeframes. You need someone else to be able to maintain the code in worst case scenarios.

lol ok well lets get into it, I’m a games coder, 31 years now, mostly working on consoles, in teams and solo, I’m also a qualified PMI ,PRINCE2 and Agile experienced project manager, have been head of development at various companies and I have 70odd published commercial projects in my name alone. 100s more in supporting roles
I now teach game programming and development at the top Technical university in The Netherlands, often managing multiple teams of students producing complete or near complete projects in 14 weeks 5 times in their courses, using networking, databases, rendering engines and their own code bases, far more complex than a database editor.

I also still do freelance projects solo…

I do kinda know what I’m talking about.

They are taking the piss.

Brian, it’s definitely good to know that you know what you are talking about. It was not like I was picking on you personally, and I am sorry if that may sound as such. My experience is more into developing and (now) leading development of big projects in computer security, data gathering and processing, electronic document systems automation for government and so on. These are usually the projects that are supported for ages (and sometimes even decades) after they were originally developed unlike games (except several specific AAA projects).

That’s probably why our experiences differ so much.

The question here is not whether either you or me is capable of writing an app that would be like a BeatBuddy Manager Software (which I am sure we are, lol). Very often there may be other reasons for such delays. But we will definitely get our manager software soon, I am sure.

True, development of different product types varies, but the management of projects is pretty standard, and we do have to have management on even modest AA and mobile titles these days with 20-40 people…our student projects have up to 16 so management only varies in scale, and product only varies in scope… This is not by any means a complex project, it could be done solo, or with a few people with specific responsibilities to the components of the project.

I didn’t take I personally, just pointing out that I know the 1+1 does not equal 2 rule, when counting time/manpower and the joys of someone else’s codebase, but you pay people to be professional and fast, I dread to think what has been paid for this?

I also am sure it will be here soon, but it seems to have taken 10+ months…that’s extraordinary, Even allowing for design changes and client change requests, we’re still talking about a fairly simple bit of ARM based hardware, controlled via a midi /USB connection system, codebases for which are readily available and frankly a doddle to write. The front end on the PC is a database manager/UI and cc/p2p signal sender/receiver. When I said I could do it in a few weeks I meant that with confidence, and I don’t do a lot of PC code these days.
I would expect someone with more experience of database editors to be cable of producing something even quicker, and then spending some weeks refining and refactoring as design changes impacted the front end allowing it to be ready way before shipping time.

Anway…I don’t mean to sound like a know all dick, just concerned that David and the team may have put their faith in the wrong people.

Will the Mac version still be a month behind the PC version?

Have you heard of Beta versions? Why not release what you have up to now (with at BIG disclaimer saying it is a Beta version) and people can start maybe doing some basic editing and playlists. Google and MS (and many other companies) release Beta versions of their products and people report bugs and ideas for improvement.

Or why not even release the project as Open Source? (Unless you are contemplating some financial input from the Manager)

Just some ideas, hope nobody yells at me…JD

Here’s another idea. If the software isn’t ready by Oct 14 as stated, release a beta. I agree with Brian… this is taking WAY too long. The programming team should have been held to a deadline for a project of this magnitude. And at the very least, a beta version should have been released when the BB shipped.

My DrumBuddy `s got a new T Shirt…
It says:
Your drummer never

1. comes as only hardware
  2. exists as Beta …he`s allways theAlpha
  3. shows up for more then a few weeks to live gigs
  4. forgets to mention, he`s not included
  5. is unusable for gigs (only after gigs)
  6. goes out of sync …it`s allways you
  7. leaves you unable to arrange your setlists
  8. gives you ability to over-communicate
  9. …and I mean realy, realy never
    gives you money back! :sunglasses:

I realy understand the huge disappointment, I´m also. I think an evidence that the manager is not included, but comes… would have spared some trouble here… But thats not to modify by now. But aggression makes no sense and so Im still waiting…
A little statement sometimes, what`s going wrong, what has to be fixed, and an honestly assessment when it will come would help for peaceful expectations… thanx 4 reading

I had a really nice laugh when I was reading your post, Dennis. Thanks for sharing! :slight_smile:

Delays suck, but if only they could be avoided, I know for sure, David would avoid them. He and his team made a lot of efforts to make this pedal real (and huge props to all the backers here definitely). And it’s totally not like they sit now peacefully reading the forums and resting while enjoying having to listen to all this (partly reasonable) negative feedback. They made an amazing product (I say it because I personally love it) and I’ll say for myself - it’s pretty sad to hear bad things about your own creation.

It is indeed a formidable machine, I received yesterday, just so I could get some sleep since! You did a great job with the pedal, and I 'm sure the software will be up. Do not be discouraged by our impatience ! We are like children waiting for Santa Claus who is late (because it took in a traffic jam).

No, actually this is more like all of Santa’s elves were named Buddy.

And all the children are like grumpy cats.

Played around with it a little bit today. I need the software. I must have the software. It’s like getting a new car without the keys. Very excited about incorporating this once I have the software to control it. Keep working!

I’ve had BeatBuddy for several weeks now, and am still exploring and trying out all the various styles and rhythms and drumsets. The possible sound combinations, with just the internal songs, are immeasurable. Also, it takes a little while to get the toe fully synched up to switch between fills, transitions, accents, etc. I’ve been working through my songlist, trying different beats with them, figuring out the best tempos, and otherwise just practicing at playing and recording while using this incredible pedal!

It’s an amazing machine, and many kudos to the development team. As a software developer myself I understand the ongoing discussion, and it’s certainly embarrassing to be late on a promised delivery. But let’s give these guys a break and not ‘rag’ on them or second guess whatever problems they are still working on. Use this delay to get to really master the peddle, as is. Personally, I’d rather wait and get a smooth working app than suffer the frustration of working around buggy code. I do agree, however, with the suggestion that the development team provide some ‘inside’ info on what specific problems remain, with regular updates as these problems are resolved. Us musical techies would be most impressed with you guys if you took this professional approach!

It is amazing, and next year when we look back on this we will all be chuckling about how stupid we were to be so critical.

But for now, I can’t set up a set list, I can’t remove the intro and outro, I can’t set multiple or specific fill types, I can’t choose the patterns I want in sequence… there’s currently a few too many can’ts which are restricting the power of this awesome beast.

My main reason for supporting the BB, is the flexibility it promises, that is what makes this beast so special, There are dozens of cool drum machines out there, but nothing guitarists can use so easily.
I am surprised there isn’t more editing ability on the pedal itself, unless RAM is very limited, I can’t see that a very basic editor is not possible, but its 1st gen so I hope there will be a firmware upgrade to provide something on a basic level. I always prefer to edit on PC but some pedal based functions should be there. Can anyway suggested a firmware development timeline that might show this at a later date?

So for now I’m limited to using it for jamming and practice, and I really want to create some set stuff and create some new ideas to work with a looping performance.

phhttt…not much we can do…it will be here when its here. Soon I hope.