Beatbuddy Manager Frustration!

You can certainly edit midi in Cubase, Logic, The old Cakewalk Sonar etc… That’s what they are designed for apart from recording audio of course.

I just bought mine, and have no programming skills nor much midi knowledge beyond using a Roland PK5 foot pedal on a sound module. I’m thinking of returning it as my Mac Catalina 10.15.4 notifies me Apple can’t check it for malicious software to contact customer support for an upgrade . . . I just received it yesterday. I’m only interested in purchasing songs and making playlists at this point, and can’t even do that. I responded to your post because of Beatbuddy Manager Frustration with the basics on my Mac. I like your assessment.

Hey Van!

I honestly don’t know what to tell you, because I don’t use a Mac. It has always felt like Mac might be an afterthought – or at least not a the primary target platform – for BBM.

With the disclaimer that I recognize this is not an acceptable response, do you have access to a PC? The requirements for BBM are pretty modest, so any old machine a family member has moved on from would very likely do. It would solve your issues in a heartbeat, especially if you really don’t want to edit, you just want to build sets from preconfigured songs.

That said, though, it really SHOULD run on a Mac, and many here are Mac users. Is there a new MacOS out with which BBM is somehow incompatible? My limited experience with Macs (I have a Mini from “late 2009” downstairs that I still use) is that the OS sometimes has a habit of leaving applications behind.

Have you asked @persist or @BeatBuddy_Support about it?

I do hope you can resolve the issue, because, for someone who just wants to play prebuilt material, you will not find a better stage-ready solution.

Just curious: What kind of stuff do you play?

You could try installing VirtualBox and run Windows inside of that on the Mac.

@Van One of these 2 methods will work:

First, hold control key down and single click (or right click if you are using a mouse) on the BeatBuddy Manager (BBM) icon and it brings up a contextual menu; click on ‘open’. It will prompt you with a window to confirm you want to open it, select ‘open’. BBM should launch. This should work, and it only need to be done once.

If it does not, then try this (2nd method) -

Open System/Preferences…/Security & Privacy

Click on the General tab

Click on the lock icon in the bottom left corner

Enter your Admin password

Select the App Store and identified developers radio button

Close System Preferences…

1 Like

Actually you don’t need VirtualBox, I have installed Windows using BootCamp on my Mac and I run the BBM on the windows platform. Works very well.

That will work for some. Not my cup of tea.

Realize you need to reboot your Mac into Windows to run BB (or always run your Mac as a Windows computer).

So is the new Beat Buddy Manager almost ready?

1 Like

I updated my Mac OS to 10.15.6 and now the BB Editor doesn’t work … anyone else have this problem ?

What in the BeatBuddy Manager (BBM) does not work? Might be easier for us to help, if you can better define the symptoms.

In the meanwhile, if you have not searched the forum, here’s the results of searching on Catalina: https://forum.singularsound.com/search?q=catalina

It basically takes a long time to start up then gives me a spinning beach ball every time I try to do anything within the app. I can see my project and the names of all my songs but when I try to play a pattern it takes me to a folder named the folder where the project is but doesn’t allow me to select anything once there

I’m not certain that this will solve your problem so if you try it and it doesn’t work, you should contact Support, support@singularsound.com for help.

From your description, it sounds like the BeatBuddy Manager (BBM) might have lost awareness to the path or location of your project. To get it mapped to the location of your project,

• From the BBM menu, Tools > Set Workspace Location and navigate to the location of your project folder (you should see your project folder displayed in the Finder); select Open.
  • Accept the prompt asking you to reset the location.

Screen Shot 2020-07-21 at 1.12.07 PM

Some users have reported that quitting and then launching the BBM solved their problems. Other mentioned re-starting their Mac.

Please let us know what had to be done to solve your problem.

1 Like

I was eventually able to get the BBM to work by following your suggestions and then restarting the whole system several times . I also had several other apps that were acting erratically but the re-starts seem to have helped sort them out too.
Thanks

Glad to hear you got it working. When I was beta-testing Catalina, I found that if I shut my computer down after installing an update and then restarting it, it solved many of the problems I was having with the BeatBuddy Manager (BBM).

1 Like

If you don’t have a SSD (solid state hard drive) on your computer, have you done a defrag recently or at all to ensure all the bytes and bits are easy for programs and data to find and access? Windows supposedly does this for you if setup, but using a third party free defragger it seems to improve things more than what Windows does. An SSD doesn’t need to be defragged nor should be done.

I have yet to experience this frustration because BB Manager is incompatibile with Mac OS 10.13 and up, so I can’t load the beats I bought into Beat Buddy Manager or the Beat Buddy pedal. I do hope someone from the company is monitoring these threads.

It runs fine on 10.13 thru 15. You just need to click the boxes in the security preferences when you load it up. On Catalina, as noted above, you might need a restart or two.

Thanks, on the 4th attempt it opened.

First, I can’t figure out how to post a new topic on this forum, so the best I can do is post here.

BB Manager is driving me crazy regarding where it saves files on my Mac that runs Catalina. The synchronization never works. It’s saving projects nested inside projects under user_ lib. I don’t think that’s right. I spent two hours working on my set this morning and returned this afternoon to find half my work was gone. I had to save the project to my SD card because sync was greyed out. Apparently, my changes were not saved.

What I need it this: I need a clear tutorial explaining how to save a project and how to open a project to avoid these synchronization and nesting problems. Thank you.

You should be able to start a new thread from one of the main category pages (not within an existing thread or topic). There’s a blue oval in the bottom right corner, hover your cursor over it and it should turn round—click on it to start a new thread.

Search your Documents folder for the bbworkspace folder; the path to your projects should be bbworkspace/user_lib/projects/ If you don’t have a bbworkspace folder, then you need to create one and move user_lib and default_lib to that folder. If you’re not using the notarized version of the BBM for macOS, you’ll need to download and install it. If this is the case, you might be better off Exporting your current project from the BBM to your SD card and then deleting the BBM from your computer as well as any BBM files and folders from your computer.

This is a known issue and you will have to use BeatBuddy Manager (BBM) File - Export - Project to SD card.

Do any of your folders or song names use a period or any non-supported character? If so, that might be the problem but it’s hard to say given the amount of detail you have provided so far.

If you have not read the user manual for the BBM or the Quickstart Guide, you might find them helpful: * Link (in blue font) to new user resources

If you need some more help, feel free to reach out to Support at Support, support@singularsound.com