BeatBuddy Manager Goes Open Source: What this Means for Users, Our Development Priorities, and How You Can Get Involved

I wonder if a good way to think of this is to create a copy of the song with the current settings? That way i can change the name … and keep the original pristine. Not sure that’s worth it.

Would this require a change to the BB manager as it probably doesn’t expect any changes to the songs on the SD card?

1 Like

I miss copying/pasting an existing song the most.

I would also be nice to be able to work normally with the BB while been connected by USB.

2 Likes

Excuse my ignorance but does open source mean others can work on the software? If so this is a fantastic idea as the BB Manager has always been the achilles heal of the BB in my eyes. The BB is such a powerful tool to have this updated would be a major plus in my eyes. I just want to see more ‘basic’ features in the editor, cut & paste, split songs into parts etc. It could be such a strong part of the BB experience. I wish i had the knowledge to try some myself but i’m relying on others.

And welcome Julissa!

1 Like

Please follow the instructions and open an issue so we can help you and fix the docs as needed, we want everyone to be able to get a build of the BBM running on their computer!

1 Like

As you may know, the PR was accepted and merged. It doesn’t affect the other OS builds, we’re looking good as far as building goes.

@mikemcleodmusic we’re definitely going to work on quality of life improvements. First there’s a feature we’ve just stabilized, now we’re focused on finding, cataloguing and patching bugs, as well as developing a thorough testing procedure to make sure we don’t suffer regressions when getting new stuff in.

@churchman I agree that’s a nice feature! I think it’s at least partially in. I’ll look into it, but look at the previous paragraph: we’re focused on producing a stabilized, baseline version of the program first!

@jrsam you can make all proposals you want :wink: worst case scenario is we won’t be able to build it – but if you never suggest it, odds are it won’t be included anyway, so nothing to lose!

@Neil_McCann This means, yes, everyone can work on the software. You can go to the repo right now (https://github.com/singularsound/openbbm), download the code and compile it using the instructions. I’d not do that in a computer where I’m using the standard BBM, though, because this is a version in development and by its very nature, therefore, unstable.

@quad & @alexicon those are good quality of life features, too – something to look forward to in the future.

1 Like

I know this is a long shot, but here’s an added feature to develope!!

Have a ytube access in the manager, play a song from ytube and the manager picks the best match from the list of songs in the manager.
It would be a perfect song matching tool!!

Riffstation use to do this, use ytube, play a video and in a few seconds give the lyrics with the chords. It was great and free until Fender bought it and shut it down.

2 Likes

It is a long shot when you put it that way.

We do have a human song matcher, though.

You can go to http://songmatcher.singularsound.com/ and suggest a beat and BPM for songs you know, or ask about a song you don’t know (which you don’t know and want to see there) and we have a drummer who will listen to the song and try to match it with the beat that most resembles the song.

We have over 900 songs already registered in the tool.

A fair amount (about half?) of the songs in this tool are premium beats.

Looks like there is no way for an entry in this tool to recommend both premium beats and standard beats? That’s a shame because over time the hard work of determining the standard beats for songs is lost as new premium beats are added.

I get that SS has a business to run and they should promote their premium content. There are some valid reasons for wanting the matcher to also include standard beats when there is a premium beat (other than just being cheap): Standard beats are built in and quickly usable (versus download and install), other members of your band have access to them for practice, less dependence on a custom drum set, premium beats are not supported on bb mini and mini 2, etc.

If a song has both a premium beat and a normal beat, it can get two lines. Past work doesn’t get lost. In fact so much so that until recently we didn’t even give the drummer the ability to remove a beat they added.

The number of premium beats is closer to 1/3rd of the listed songs than 1/2, and the proportion is going to continue growing in favor of standard beats, but I get your meaning.

The more you request and share known settings with us, the more it’s going to lean towards standard beats.

I just upgraded the firmware on my Aeros today and now at the end of every loop I have two measures of Dead Space the waveform shows that it is still there but I hear nothing where there was previously sound . Does anybody else have this problem?

I do use that but i have about 1300 songs in my Onsong APP and it matches song per song, folder to folder with my BeatBuddy, and the songmatcher doesn’t come close
I do have a beat for every song, but some matches are a stretch.

1 Like

At the end of the day this is a great development and it’s going to be interesting to see where the Manager software goes. So much could be implemented!

does Onsong do this natively or did you need to tell it where BeatBuddy kept the matching pattern? also does it automatically move through the parts?

1 Like

The problem here may be MIDI sync being on, is there a beat clock (like the BeatBuddy) connected and synced to the Aeros? If so, there will be an issue if tempo on the BB (or beat clock) is different than the Aeros. We are hoping to implement a warning when this happens, but for now, its best to either keep the BB disconnected when opening an existing song in another tempo or when recording while the tempo is mismatched.

You could also play with the settings in the BeatBuddy (press both Tempo and Drum Set knobs) go to Main Pedal>MIDI Settings> MIDI Out> Sync and try out different settings to see if they work for your workflow. The benefit of having MIDI sync “always on” is that it makes it possible to have the BeatBuddy start playing and then the Aeros is always ready and in sync.

Hi,

It is really a pleasure to participate.

1. I noticed sonetimes it crash without any reason

2)should be able to insert a measure before or after when building pattern

1. should be able to select a section when building a pattern and play only selection. Cause sometimes there are long pattern

2. when building pattern should be able to anchor at top, middle and bottom of the screen when playing

3. I used beatbuddy for worship and practice. I found that the fact there are different drumset, there are also different velocity. Say for example I use drumset Reggae and my volume is at 45% on pedal. Now if I change song with different drumset say Ballade, the amplitude(velocity) is different even though the volume is still 45% on beatbuddy pedal. It would be nice if we can have an option to increase or decrease the amplitude of the song as a whole so that all song will play at the same volume. I don’t know if I have been able to explain my idea.

4. it would be nice if we can import another instrument from another drumset. Of course keeping the option to add instrument.

5. it would be nice if there we can have the option to sort folder and songs on descending and ascending order

6. Atually I used BB Manager on windows. It would be nice if NOTE could be inserted automatically when building pattern by only clicking

7. when building pattern, should be able to play in repeat mode

Well these are some proposal.

Hope this will help.

Thanks

Best Regards
Rono

Since we’re posting wish lists, here is mine. I have two really big complaints about how BBM currently works, a couple suggestions for things to make life a lot easier, and a recommendation for abandonment of a feature.

Complaint 1 - Nested folders of BB drum kit wav files. I should be able to find my wav files. They should go into my workspace. The BBM software used to work that way. Now I get this:

Look at the bottom of that pic. That an example of how deep BBM decides to store folders. There doesn’t seem to be much sense to it. It might store wherever you worked last, but when I was still working, I would have these nested BB files show up in my projects for work. Very annoying. And, it makes it very difficult to find a wav that I might want to use somewhere else.

2 - The order of the drum kit list in the default drumset selection for a song. I mean the ones I select here:

The order has no apparent reason to it, but it MAY have something to do with last drumkit opened for editing??? For example:

All i want is an alpha sort of these kits, so I can find the kit I want. For those of you with 15 to 20 kits, this isn’t a big deal. For me, with 200 or so, I spend way too much time looking for the kit I want in this list.

Things that would be real nice:

Copy and paste functions for songs, instruments within drum kits, and other places where modern computer users have expected to be able to use copy and paste. Having to re-invent the wheel for every new kit is a waste of time. Having to export and reimport to make a set list is an abomination. Can I live with the messed up system we have? Sure, I’ve done it for years. Should it work that way. Really??? I can’t believe anyone thinks this is a good behavior. And for those of you that complain about features in the Aeros software, well look at this. This is the flagship Singular product, and this is the file management we have.

Abandon - The built-in midi editor. You want something free that works? Get Cakewalk by Bandlab. It’s cross platform, Windows, Mac and Linux. It’s still gets support updates, etc. Me, I’ll still work with Logic Pro X. But instead of focusing on problems with a generously provided, but very flawed piece of code, offer help on how to use Cakewalk to fix BB midi files.

That’s my rant for today.

6 Likes

it would be nice to find out which drum kits are not used in songs. It would also be desirable to be able to arrange the drum kits

So @julissadantes, does this mean that you will be making ‘official’ updates to the manager software as well or just monitoring what others are doing with it?

I will be doing both, updating the software, and reviewing what the community wants to contribute.

2 Likes