BeatBuddy Manager Software Distorted Sound: Solution Testing

Hi Guys,

Some users have reported that they hear distorted sound when they play the Virtual BeatBuddy in the BB Manager. We have created a test version of the BB Manager to see if this will solve the problem.

We believe that the distorted sound is caused by a buffering problem. We have adjusted the buffering scheme in this test version. If it still doesn’t work, please experiment with the buffering time. In this version, it can be adjusted in the options dialog:

PLEASE NOTE: The bigger the buffering time, the less the player will be “real time” (accent hit will take time to play and the VM colored beat indicator will be a bit out of sync). A value of 80 ms plays well on our windows 7 laptop . A value of 50 ms plays well on our Mac development computer. Experiment with setting this to a value that works properly on your computer and post your results below. Please note that the slower the player tempo “e.g. 40 bpm”, the less the player may seem in “real time”.

Because this is a “Test Version” you need to do a special Install/Uninstall procedure:

Install procedure (you will need admin privilege):

1. Close the BBManager if it is running

2. Browse to the BBManager installation directory (C:\Program Files (x86)\Singular Sound\BBManager)

3. Rename the BBManager.exe file to BBManager.exe.bak

4. Download this file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/i7df30j8otze1oz/BBManager_buffering_test2.rar?dl=0

5. Open the .rar file and extract the BBManager.exe file and place it in the BBManager installation directory.

6. Start the BBManager (either with the shortcut on the desktop/in start menu or by double clicking on the extracted BBManager.exe)

You can now use the test version. If you would like to go back to the original version, please follow the instructions below:

Uninstall procedure (you will need admin privilege):

1. Close the BBManager if it is running

2. Browse to the BBManager installation directory (C:\Program Files (x86)\Singular Sound\BBManager)

3. Make sure the BBManager.exe.bak is present

4. Delete the BBManager.exe file that you added from the .rar file.

5. Rename the BBManager.exe.bak file to BBManager.exe

6. Start the BBManager (either with the shortcut on the desktop/in start menu or by double clicking on the BBManager.exe file that you just renamed)

If there is anything that is not clear or if you have any issues - please post below. We are working hard to solve this serious issue.

Thanks for your patience!

I have only had time to test this over a period of about 30 minutes but so far this works without distortion at 80ms on a Win7 platform. 50-60ms is a bit wobbly in the initial bar of a clip but is OK thereafter on my system.Well done and thanks very much for your perseverance.

GREAT!!! Thanks for testing it! :slight_smile:

It’s working brilliantly now on my Win7 64 bit machine ~ 85 ms. No more distortion. Thanks, David!

99 ms worked for me. Windows 7 64-bit with Delta 66 sound card.
Thanks for fixing this.

I’ve creeped on this thread since it came out and I have no clue how to do this…

“2. Browse to the BBManager installation directory (C:\Program Files (x86)\Singular Sound\BBManager)
3. Rename the BBManager.exe file to BBManager.exe.bak”

My Laptop PC is running Windows Vista from 2007 if that helps.

Thanks in Advance !

Step 2. Press Win+E (both buttons simultaneously), input “C:\Program Files (x86)\Singular Sound\BBManager”, hit Enter.
Step 3. In the opened window right-click BBManager.exe. Select Rename. Input BBManager.exe.bak, hit Enter.

I appreciate the Help. I did exactly this…

“Step 2. Press Win+E (both buttons simultaneously), input “C:\Program Files (x86)\Singular Sound\BBManager”, hit Enter.
Step 3. In the opened window right-click BBManager.exe. Select Rename. Input BBManager.exe.bak, hit Enter.”

I typed it in and I even copy and paiste what is above and hit enter and I keep getting this …

Windows cannot find C:\Program Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.

:frowning:

FWIW, This stuff is hard to do UGGH.
Usually when you install a Program you hit a “Install” button and Yes it until its installed. Or something like that.
Its tough being a Musician in 2015 :slight_smile:

Ok, You simply need to put the whole string in quotes “C:\Program Files (x86)\Singular Sound\BBManager”.
Sorry for my mistake! I’ve edited my previous post as well.

Hi Firstly Win Rar is a hell of a problematic download unless you want bugs and annoying shite all over the place so take care all Beat Buddy users.
The test manager “exe” works a treat win 7 32 bit 80ms perfect!!! For me I had to download win rar…then open the file but could not extract straight into the Beat Buddy directory where the “bak” file was waiting. so extracted to another directory and then using “my computer” or (preferably) win explorer then copied it into the directory with simply clicking the “I am the administrator” button…great fix!! David, can you get a deal with WinRAR so a clean copy without all the C**p attached to it can be on the Beat Buddy site as this site is the clearest and cleanest and most pragmatic I have experienced “Power to the Buddies” and needs similar e-partners. This product will capture the world so you should have some clout now!!

Try 7zip you may find it easier.
http://www.7-zip.org/download.html

Thanks my friend!! it is much better, …I still need to get my head around this midi lark though, I may be asking it to do something it cannot:
I have some dated TASCAM 2488 multi recorders and Boss 1180 recorders all with total midi control ability. The BB preferred lead is in and the “in and outs” are all as they should be.
I simply want to sync the recorder and Beat buddy (either way) to be totally in-sync so that when we (me and my non-digital buddy) play and record “live” with e.g the metronome I can then separately replace and record the beat buddy “chosen” track in a more leisurely way without having to tap dance all the pedals at once. We can record live with the BB “miked” through an Alligator" drum amp which sounds awesome …but I make too many mistakes and then editing is a nightmare which I think I could (hopefully) avoid if they were all synced… Am I asking too much or approaching this totally the wrong way

I’m having issues with distorted (and some kind of delayed) sound, too (WIN7 64 bit). But only with one of my two soundcards:

ASUS Xonar U7 = distorted sound
Lexicon Omega (my audio/MIDI interface) = sound OK (but I have to plug out the ASUS)

I’ll try the alternative .exe later

Would it be an option to integrate a choice which sound device should be used for the BB Manager? Because some people have more than one audio interface installed in their system (maybe this is the problem for the BB Manager?)

Edit: So, now I tried the alternative .exe and it seems to work fine. Thanks!

Sorry about the late reply… I haven’t had time to look at the forums lately. I’m not completely sure what you’re asking… is it MIDI sync? If the recorders have MIDI sync capabilities, then just plug from the BeatBuddy MIDI OUT to the recorder’s IN.

This problem is hopefully fixed in the next update of the BeatBuddy Manager !

@Tobbe Bergman – did you try this solution? what happened?

Yeah I downloaded the exe file and it sorted it when I used 90-100 ms !
There is a bit of latency but the playback is smooth now !

Thanks David !

OK, I downloaded and installed the test version so to adjust to get rid of distortion. But now when I try to open the test version I get error: cannot open application, minIni.dll is missing from my computer. What Now?

Did you follow the instructions carefully?

This executable needs all the environment of original BBManager.

1. You need to have original BBManager installed. Let’s say it’s at C:\BBManager.
  2. Copy that folder entirely to, let’s say, C:\BBManagerTEST
  3. Download the suggested .exe file from this thread, and put it to this new C:\BBManagerTEST replacing the one that is there.
  4. Launch it. It should run correctly now.

Yea, sorry. My bad. Went back reread the instructions - was forgetting to move test .exe into the installation directory. Works OK now and the sound is good have set at 88ms.