I’ve had a BeatBuddy for years, and it has run perfectly fine. I’m currently using firmware 3.8.0.
My BeatBuddy has started having an issue where the L/R output volume is constantly changing and the screen is displaying a large font that says “VOLUME” (along with the value that the volume is set at). I do control the BeatBuddy volume via midi with a volume pedal running through a Morningstar MC8 midi controller. However, this issue occurs even with the midi cable unplugged.
Here’s what’s occurring:
- I’ll set the volume knob on BeatBuddy to 50%, which is reflected on the BeatBuddy screen
- I switch to a song and use my volume pedal to set the volume to 80
- The screen is fine, showing me the song title, the visual metronome and the volume set at 80
- After about 10-15 seconds, the large “VOLUME” font comes on the BeatBuddy screen and then it drops the volume back to 49/50 (the # flickers between 49 and 50).
- The “VOLUME” font and flickering value will stay on screen (even if the song is playing), so then I cannot see the visual metronome. Sometimes, the screen will revert back to the song info., and then a few seconds later revert back to the large “VOLUME” text.
I’ve tried troubleshooting and have discovered the following:
I had thought this was potentially an issue with either my volume pedal or the Morningstar controller (maybe sending volume change midi message). When I unplug the midi cable from the Morningstar controller (which also removes the volume/expression pedal from the equation) , the problem still persists with the BeatBuddy. I’ve also used the “Midi Monitor” feature in the Morningstar editor which monitors the messages being sent from the controller…and it’s not sending random volume change midi messages.
The volume always changes back to whatever the value the physical volume knob is set to on the BeatBuddy. If I set the BeatBuddy volume knob to 20, and then use the volume pedal to increase it to 80 - the volume setting drops back to 20 (or 19/20), again with the large “VOLUME” text and the volume value.
Nothing else has really changed in my setup over the past 8 months and the 3.8.0 firmware has been running totally fine (hence why I haven’t updated it), so I’m at a loss as to what is happening, unless it is just a bad BeatBuddy? I’ve used this setup for the past couple of years and it’s worked fine. This is creating some issues for me during my gigs, as I’m now having to constantly watch the BeatBuddy and quickly have to increase the volume whenever the volume randomly changes.
Are there any settings I need to look at to potentially resolve this?
I have sent an email to support@singularsound but was curious if anyone else has seen this issue.