BeatBuddy Wireless MIDI Controller - Premium MIDI Layout for MIDI Designer Pro (IOS)

Hey there, you may benefit most from emailing Support@singularsound.com, they would be happy to help you get started with your BeatBuddy.

Here is the link to the BeatBuddy MIDI CC commands, you can use these to control the BeatBuddy with a MIDI controller.

1 Like

Actually, it sounds like you could better benefit from reading some of the resources available to new users as well as checking out some more of the posts here on the forum. Go to the bottom of this page and click on the Downloads tab to start digging into some decent reference sources :face_with_monocle:

2 Likes

Two important bugs were fixed in the recent BeatBuddy 3.9.0 Firmware:

Bug fixed with Firmware 3.9.0

Bug fixed with Firmware 3.9.0

So everything is working as intended in the current 1.3 version of my MIDI Layout.

I have plans to update it to 1.4 anyway, if only to update the Cheat Sheets and the Credits panel. Oh, and I did found a way to make a button that powers ON all the LEDs on the iCon BlueBoard. You will love it in dark stages.

2 Likes

Hi, I’m travelling the same path and have discovered ‘folders’, as the start of the journey
Songs in the BeatBuddy, stored on the SD card are stored in Folders.
If you can identify WHERE the song sits in the FOLDER it’s got to be easy for OnSong to locate and play it if you send the correct midi command.
There is a link here, on this forum, to a ‘midi print’ by a member of the group, it’s worth searching

Is that your finding?

I do this with onsong. Beatbuddy song select, drum kit select and bpm setting. Yell if you need any pointers

Maybe this could be a help… another bit of software, but same problem:

Hello Ed, I’ve downloaded your midi controller and the only app in the App Store here (in NZ) is Midi Designer Pro 2 which I have purchased

Can you advise how I can get it (Midi Designer Pro 2) to ‘see’ your controller program please?

I might be able to help, as I recently imported a layout into MDP2 (Midi Designer Pro 2). Here is the way I did it:

1. Set up a Dropbox account (dropbox.com) and upload the layout file there.
  2. Install Dropbox on your iOS device and log in.
  3. In Dropbox on iOS, find the layout file you uploaded, click the … button and select Export.
  4. In the Export window, click “Open in…” and select MDP2.
    That should open the layout in MDP2.

While you are doing this, you might want to set up MDP2 to auto-save to your Dropbox account. That is in MDP2 at Config->Actions->Automatic Backups to Cloud (IAP).

2 Likes

Thank You, It worked immediately, it’s now operating on my iPad and I can see the program changes drum patches as it should be working on the iPad. I appreciate the help.

I have also connected to Bluetooth in OnSong … I can see it’s connected, so it’s not the connection over Bluetooth … BUT what is it?

I disconnected OnSong so Midi Control is the only Bluetooth device using the connection, but

As for Wireless Midi Controller … It’s not sending the drum kits to the BeatBuddy …

I must be nearly there …

Hello, I’m at the point you were in connecting Ed_saxmans midi controller, I feel the solution … it’s close

Did you sort the missing ‘link’?

If MDP2 and OnSong are on the same iPad, they can communicate via midi without bluetooth or anything.

I don’t own a BeatBuddy, so my first question is: Does the BeatBuddy support wireless midi? If not, you’ll need a wireless midi receiver connected to the BeatBuddy, or use a midi cable from iPad to BeatBuddy. I typically use a Mio midi adaptor to connect my iPad in the midi chain.

Beyond connections, you’ll need to make sure MDP2 is sending on the same midi channel that BeatBuddy is listening on.

Perhaps someone more familiar with BeatBuddy midi control could chime in here?

FYI, I’m in the US. I believe you are in New Zealand? So, we would be in very different time zones. :slight_smile: I visited Auckland for a short business trip 20 years ago. I hope to get back some day and see something more than the inside of buildings and the ocean driving by.

Hello, and thank you for the quick response. I didn’t realise MDP2 and OnSong could communicate. I would like to know more about that.

I have connected BeatBuddy with Bluetooth. I fear wireless will cause problems when there’s no signal.

I’m in New Zealand yes, and spent 3 months in the South USA (Texas across to Florida) travelling in 2015. What an incredible country. I loved it.

It’s still not working. This isn’t easy at all.

I’ve got the iPad AND BeatBuddy set up as per Phil_Flood recommendations

The Bluetooth adapter is ‘blinking’ and I CAN see the adapter has connected on my iPad

The BeatBuddy Wireless MIDI Controller isn’t connected to the wifi … could this be a problem?

I can’t see how to connect wirelessly

No. Bluetooth doesn’t use wifi. Bluetooth devices typically communicate directly with each other.

If possible, I would connect the iPad to the BeatBuddy with wired MIDI first. Once I got that working, I would try bluetooth if necessary.

Next: Is the MDP2 sending on the same MIDI channel that BeatBuddy is listening on?

I connected with wires and it worked immediately

I have been notified of a problem with Bluetooth BT01 connector that now needs a firmware update.

I’ll enjoy the BeatBuddy a bit before I open that can of worms

1 Like

HI

Can anyone get the tempo functions to work that has designed to use Pitch Wheel commands and not CC?

Regards

Morris Crum

Quick question as a newbie, how do I enter the codes to change a Beat Buddy song from ForScore? could you give me an example?

You tap on the song title in Forscore and there is an arrow to the right with a circle around it. This takes you to the edit mode of that song chart. Down in the lower half is a set of titles, Layout, Setlist, Audio, MIDI, Libray. Tap on MIDI then enter your info. The first square is the MIDI channel you are sending on. Usually 10 but could be any channel. I use 10 since most MIDI General devices use that channel for drums. Next enter 0 and in the 3rd square you enter the number of the bank where your drum program is located then in the last square enter the number of the program. You might find you have to enter one number higher or lower than the actual program to make it choose the intended program. If I gave you my examples they wouldn’t make since to you since I’ve loaded the premium library then added tons of my own so I don’t have just the basic set up loaded in my BB.

Thanks for pointers.

I was wondering about the best way of organising banks and songs in the BB. I have also bought the premium library but was wondering if can I create my own set lists as a bank with the chosen songs for the set in that bank so I can keep the BB organised?

If able to do this does it all have to be structured via the BB Manager software or can you edit the SD card directly for this. (Using a Mac here)

Any pointers appreciated.

Cheers
David

You need to use BB manager to reorganize the content. I find the easiest thing to is to export a song to the hard drive in an archive-like location. Then, from there, you can select your songs and import them into your set lists one by one.