BeatBuddy Wireless MIDI Controller - Premium MIDI Layout for MIDI Designer Pro (IOS)

Hello, this looks exactly what I’ve been getting ready to learn (the long way). I’m no longer a gigging musician, but play with friends regularly. I have around 500 songs in OnSong and have purchased a Beatbuddy Pedal for the drums and bass. I have created backing tracks from midi in Cakewalk (with midi and Kontakt plugins) for these 500 but would now like to transfer into OnSong.
While I appreciate BeatBuddy won’t play ‘backing tracks’ I’m interested to learn about Bluetooth from OnSong to BeatBuddy. I have the 2020 library and would like to store the midi detail into my songs to play BeatBuddy without fiddling around.
As a midi user I understand the different folder/file names methods and can work with that Alphabetical A-Z with song files embedded within those 26 alphabetical subfolders by using numbers 1-26 with 99 songs max in each folder.
My question is this, once I have added the necessary play/stop commands and saved them into each OnSong song file, is it permanent? Do I do this only once, so that when I call up the song via OnSong, the BeatBuddy will change right away to my chosen song - not having to create as a setlist- As I choose all my songs at random when sitting round a group of friends

Yes. That’s how it will work.

I purchased this and downloaded on my iMac and iPad Pro. I can’t seem to load the app on the iPad. I see the files and can view the pdf screen shots but don’t know how to find or install the app to use it on the iPad

This is a layout for Midi Designer Pro. https://mididesigner.com

You need Midi Designer Pro (available in app store) to use this layout.

Are you saying I need the Midi Designer Pro (available in app store) to use Ed Saxman’s app which if I understand now is not an app but a layout I should open in the Midi Designer Pro?.

That’s exactly what he’s saying. Go to the first post at the top of this page where the requirements were stated.

2 Likes

I just loaded MIDI Designer Pro 2 and opened Ed Saxman’s Beatbuddy Midi Controller Version 1.3 I connect to MIDI and it looked the same showing connected but I can’t get any response. Where do I go next to look for problems? All my Apple OS is updated as well.
BY THE WAY the MIDI works from my Forescore or OnSong app to change the drum programs so I know it’s working. I use the Yahmaha MBT01 MIDI interface as mentioned earlier and it shows connected. I also have updated the BB firmware to 3.8 so wondered it there was an issue?

I don’t use BB, so I can’t help troubleshoot. I suggest that you contact the developer, https://forum.singularsound.com/u/Ed_Saxman

For me, it works only when I have OnSong turned off. When OnSong is enabled, MIDI Designer Pro 2 will not connect Yahmaha MBT01 (inactive - grayed out). Am I doing something wrong? I am dissatisfied.

Do you have your iPad connected directly to the Yamaha MBT01? Or do you have a midi interface between iPad and MBT01?

My ipad connects via MIDI SOLUTIONS - THRU V2 from Yamaha MBT01 to BB, I don’t know if it matters. I no longer use MIDI Designer Pro 2.

I just loaded MIDI Designer Pro 2 and opened Ed Saxman’s Beatbuddy Midi Controller Version 1.3
I connect to MIDI and it looked the same showing connected but I can’t get any response. Where do I go next to look for problems? All my Apple OS is updated as well.
BY THE WAY the MIDI works from my Forescore or OnSong app to change the drum programs so I know it’s working. I use the Yahmaha MBT01 MIDI interface as mentioned earlier and it shows connected. I also have updated the BB firmware to 3.8 so wondered it there was an issue?

hi
I am a solo acoustic guitarist gigging without a bb would like to remedy this. Im trying to use onsong to send the midi data. Ive got it turning pages and scrolling but i dont have the control thing in my head yet. Where do i get the cc legend from and how does it work. I have the premium sd i would like to say use neil youngs songs with the drums how do i get them from the manager to the pedal and i appreciate all you can do for me

Hey there, you may benefit most from emailing Support@singularsound.com, they would be happy to help you get started with your BeatBuddy.

Here is the link to the BeatBuddy MIDI CC commands, you can use these to control the BeatBuddy with a MIDI controller.

1 Like

Actually, it sounds like you could better benefit from reading some of the resources available to new users as well as checking out some more of the posts here on the forum. Go to the bottom of this page and click on the Downloads tab to start digging into some decent reference sources :face_with_monocle:

2 Likes

Two important bugs were fixed in the recent BeatBuddy 3.9.0 Firmware:

Bug fixed with Firmware 3.9.0

Bug fixed with Firmware 3.9.0

So everything is working as intended in the current 1.3 version of my MIDI Layout.

I have plans to update it to 1.4 anyway, if only to update the Cheat Sheets and the Credits panel. Oh, and I did found a way to make a button that powers ON all the LEDs on the iCon BlueBoard. You will love it in dark stages.

2 Likes

Hi, I’m travelling the same path and have discovered ‘folders’, as the start of the journey
Songs in the BeatBuddy, stored on the SD card are stored in Folders.
If you can identify WHERE the song sits in the FOLDER it’s got to be easy for OnSong to locate and play it if you send the correct midi command.
There is a link here, on this forum, to a ‘midi print’ by a member of the group, it’s worth searching

Is that your finding?

I do this with onsong. Beatbuddy song select, drum kit select and bpm setting. Yell if you need any pointers

Maybe this could be a help… another bit of software, but same problem:

Hello Ed, I’ve downloaded your midi controller and the only app in the App Store here (in NZ) is Midi Designer Pro 2 which I have purchased

Can you advise how I can get it (Midi Designer Pro 2) to ‘see’ your controller program please?