BeatBuddy Wireless MIDI Controller - Premium MIDI Layout for MIDI Designer Pro (IOS)

Well, a layout made for iPad requires a complete GUI overhaul to be adapted to iPhone.

I previously did that with this template, where you can see the differences, although the functionality is exactly the same:

iCon G-Board for HX STOMP (IPAD)
iCon G-Board for HX STOMP (IPHONE)

However, editing in my old iPhone 5S was a pain in the ass, and did not work in terms of sales either. The reality is that iPhone layouts are practically marginal among MDP users. Also, there are too many different Iphone models. I don’t know how the resolution would translate between them, especially when I created it using an old iPhone.

Still, I do not completely rule out adapting my BB controller for iPhone, because I understand that it could be useful to run it on your smartphone while using your iPad for something else. But it will have to be a simplified version in some way. I don’t see very practical to include 6 pages there just for drum pads, for example. It would also be double work when I do an update, so I have my doubts about the appropriateness of doing so.

Maybe I should buy an Aeros Looper and work on that instead, but I have to say the current MIDI implementation still doesn’t motivate me enough to do so.

I worked out an Aeros MDP layout, but as you’ve noted the current state of Aeros midi implementation makes it’s use very limited, so I dropped it for now.

Yeah a simple version is fine imo, for live work (well in my case anyway) I’d only need about 5 functions…

“The MIDI Maestro puts the full power of MIDI into a package that’s easy for anyone to use. It’s the first MIDI Pedal controller that lets musicians skip on reading lengthy MIDI manuals and just jump right into playing. On top of being easy to use, it has great depth for those willing to explore its features.”

Besides that, I’d like to change the BB mode from channel 1 to another channel…

1 Like

If you have the app on Android you will have the default modes available as a template when creating a new mode. This feature will be available in iOS in the coming weeks.

We are also working on an overhaul (a really shnazzy redesign) of the app on both iOS and android to improve channel assignment and workflow, so very soon this should be a problem of the past.

We value your feedback and thank you for your patience, we are so very close to the finish line with these apps.

2 Likes

Nektar seems to be doing some interesting devices nowadays. Have you tried the Nektar Aura Beat Composer?

It seems a real contender to replace my trusty old Korg PadKontrol, but also to be a good BB complement.

But I’m also very tempted by the new Xsonic Airstep. That USB Host thing and routing options are simply great.

1 Like

I also use a Nektar Panorama keyboard/controller, but no other Nektar products at the moment. I selected the Pacer foot controller for the number of programmable buttons (10), lack of expression controller(s) I already have, and build quality for the price. I keep watching for a new foot controller that meets that criteria or better at a similar price, but I haven’t found anything. The Voodoo Lab Ground Control Pro would be my next step up, imo.

I see Black Star have released a midi foot controller which looks interesting but it doesn’t have 10 switches

https://www.blackstaramps.com/uk/ranges/live-logic/usb-midi-controller

Well, the Xsonic Airstep + Airstep Lite combo meets exactly that criteria and goes even further. It has features that even Morningstar devices don’t have.

By the way, we will have another interesting device to consider (sooner than later): https://www.piratemidi.com/

That appears to be reasonably priced, but the functionality seems extremely limited. Read the reviews on sweetwater.

The Xsonic products look interesting, but considering the combined price and having to use 2 pedals instead of one, I would go with the The Voodoo Lab Ground Control Pro instead, IF I was going to upgrade. Using the Pacer and Midi Designer Pro on iPad, I don’t feel a lack any features aside from number of buttons, so I won’t be changing foot controllers in the near future.

Yes that is disappointing - the Ableton integration especially seeing as they bundle Ableton with it

If only the XSonic had a display/scribble strips to allow for lot of banks of settings.

I’m very new to this, but I own a blueboard (used with quantiloop) - and a beatbuddy. I just ordered the aeros looper and and curious about the best set up to use my blueboard while looping? I see the integration that you’ve built @Ed_Saxman- but it seems specific to the beatbuddy. Will there be another set up for aeros? Sorry if this is a rookie question but I’m trying to use what I’ve got to get more control while performing.

At least 2 of us started work on a Midi Design Pro layout for Aeros, but the current Aeros midi implementation needs more functionality to make a layout useful. Long story short: midi controllers besides Midi Maestro don’t allow you fully control the Aeros, yet.

Thank you! Makes sense- so right now controlling the beatbuddy (as master) through blueboard works. Is this via Bluetooth or does it need to be connected to my iPad?

Are you saying the MM can do more than what is in the public midi docs for the Aeros? Is there any reason why any other midi controller cannot duplicate the MM setup?

I don’t have a Midi Maestro, so I can’t compare. As far as I know, all Aeros midi commands are documented here: Aeros firmware 3.1.x

Some issues I ran into might just be me mis-understanding the commands. As far as I understand, I can record a new track with CC:41, value 0; but I don’t see how to stop a track while recording it. I think I tried Sysex stop with bad results. I hope that ‘stop record’ isn’t the same CC and value, but I didn’t think to try it. And there doesn’t seem to be any way to select a track and overdub.

Another problem I ran into was syncing what is happening on the Aeros with what the controller thinks is happening. Some Aeros midi commands use the a single CC and number as a toggle, instead of using a CC and distinct numbers for ‘on’ or ‘off’. For instance, mute for track 1 is CC38 #1. Un-mute for track 1 is also CC38 #1. My controller can’t be sure whether a track on Aeros is muted or not, so buttons can’t be type ‘toggle’; all must be ‘momentary’ and my cool color-coded buttons don’t get to change. :laughing: I assume the Midi Maestro is in closer communication with the Aeros to know when a track is really muted, even when a track is muted via button on the Aeros, or a different preset is selected in Midi Maestro.

According to the first post, the layout provides:

I use MDP via bluetooth to change instruments on Logic Pro, but I don’t have a Beat Buddy.

I strongly doubt that the MM is using some undocumented midi commands (and if it were this would be easy to sniff out and reproduce). I suspect that the MM has taken one approach to controlling the Aeros which you could duplicate … but you prefer another approach which is not (yet) supported. Pretty sure the MM to Aeros is only one way (not in and out).

Hey just wanted to throw in that the Aeros works with any MIDI controller just as it does with the MM