Can you just use BB for drums?

I am new to both BB and what is referred to as “one press format songs”. I have downloaded several packs, and single songs from the BB library, but have also noticed that some users, such as Persist, have created some really cool songs that I want.
I did download one Persist song but have not tried to import it into my BB yet because I am not confident that I won’t corrupt by SD file. Are there any tips you could offer on how to successfully add these songs?
Also, what is a one press song… does that mean that you do not have to manually engage the BB for fills and transition?
Are there other instruments accompanying the drums, such as bass?
Please understand that I have an average level of tech understanding and seem to be younger than most posters on this thread. Therefore neither are impediments for me, I’m just hoping for some clarification.

Hi Chicken Hunter. You may have already checked out the links in here but in case you haven’t, browse through the embedded contents in resources

You will not corrupt your project by importing one-press songs to an existing project. Here’s some thoughts:

• don’t use special characters such as a period (.) in the name of a song or a folder as that WILL corrupt your project and will cause your project to be zeroed out;
  • my one-press format song songs usually take one tap on the BeatBuddy Manager (BBM) or the BeatBuddy (BB) pedal to start and a double-tap to end. Some of my earlier one-press songs (and that of other users, notably Phil [not Phil_Flood]) require a double-tap to start playing. I’m gradually updating my songs so that they all start with a single tap; there are no fills and transitions in my one-press versions;
  • depending on the version, they may or not contain bass and other instruments;
  • to play the version of the one-press songs and to get the best sound from the version, you should also search the forum for the suggested drum set, download, unzip, use the BBM to import and then activate it;
  • you might want to create a new folder in the BBM to import user created content

In a One Press song, as Persist and I generally make them, one press of the pedal plays through the whole song. You’ll need to install BB Manager and look at a song in it to get the idea. The entire body of the song will be in the intro. Then, there are null or empty loops for the main section and the Outro. Once the song reaches the main, it will appear to be done, but is still looping the null section. Double tap to really end it.

Please look over the manual and getting started guide. Using BB Manager to add songs and drum sets is very easy and very safe. If you are going to be adding many songs, you should get a larger SD card. 32gb is the maximum size that the BB will accept.

And, very important, use only BB manager to add songs or drumkits. Do not try to simply add things into folders using the computer’s OS. BB Manager works as the OS for the BB, or really as it’s file manager.

1 Like

Thank you both for the quick response. I will follow your advice when adding one press songs. I’ll follow up with a future post after I’ve tried it out.
Also, just wanted to extend my appreciation for those, such as yourselves, who freely donate their time and energy into supporting other users.

2 Likes

DDL,

Have you tried just changing the drumset to one you already own like Standard or Rock?

You’d need to use the BB Manager and change the custom drumset that was used/ created for the songs to one of your liking…

The extra notes for the “rest of the band” maybe ignored in some of the songs (depends how the user created the drumset) and you’d have a drums only song… just a thought…

If I recall correctly:

DOP - Drums One Press - drums only
OPB - One Press Bass - drums and bass
OPBk - One Press Bass Keys - drums bass keyboard

Can’t you just use the BB itself to change the drum set on the fly and see what sounds best without digging in to BBM? If you then find a drum set on the pedal you like to go with a particular song, you can tell the BB to use that drum set as the default for that song IIRC.

Yes, but he’d have to use BBM to add the song to the SD card. And, if he wants to hear what the author of the BB song made, he would need to add the recommended drumkits, also in BBM. So, one way or another, if a user wants to hear anything other than default content, they need to learn how to use BBM to add files to the SD card.

Agreed. Compared to new users, I guess I’m a relatively-seasoned vet, so I forgot the part about new users learning to use BBM to get the songs on the SD card and using the non-standard drums.

New users are at a disadvantage if they merely download user content, in that, they don’t understand how it is created. They can remedy that by putting in time to learn it. I’m 5 years into this and have a very good understanding of midi while using a very basic midi editor and a clunky beta version of BBM. I still love it and can do everything I need. If you want to learn it…really want it…it’s very achievable. Even for a 54 year old dude like me. Whether you think you can or think you can’t do something…you’re right. As for sharing resources…I’m with you on that Mr. Flood. Someday when I figure out the forum I’ll post some. Thousands of hours of work in the last 5 years is hard to just throw out for public consumption. I’m guessing Goran doesn’t do it pro bono.

To add to Persist and Phil’s recommendations… Get a second or third SD card. They are cheap enough! And backup your original SD card if you are worried of corrupting it. That’s basic on any media you rely on. BACKUP before doing something that you are uncertain about.

To backup just drag the original SD card on your desktop to the backup SD card. If you want to be extra safe, there is a little notch on most SD cards that allows you to lock it. So before you even put the SD card in your computer SD drive to backup the original card, lock it! (Just remember to unlock it when you put it back in your BB… :slight_smile: )

If you don’t have an SD drive on your computer. Get one. They are also very cheap and connect via USB. You don’t need a fast one, get a cheap one.

1 Like

Hey Persist,
Been meaning to email you one of these days. I’m still at it! We are starting to line some things up for 2021, worked two gigs throughout 2020.
I’m still computer illiterate as I’ve always been but I’m trying. I liked the way you responded to that guy. Talk about age, I will be 81 in June, still playing Rock and Roll and riding Harley’s! Computer not so good.
I do have the BB set up pretty well the way we like it. As you know, you’ve set me up with some songs using the bass guitar and full band type things. Some worked out, some didn’t. I’ve learned that just finding workable beats and learning how to use the start, stop, accents etc. Works quite well for a duo.
Anyhoooooooo, we’ll talk soon and keep up the great work. Tell Phil that he is also greatly appreciated.

2 Likes

Good to hear from you again, Mike and glad to hear you’re still rollin’.

Thanks Bud,
Will email you later on. Looks like you’re staying pretty busy on here. I want to discuss some of the songs you’re posting

Looking forward to hearing from you.

1 Like

What genre of music do you prefer?

My apologies. I’m guessing you enjoy doing what you’re doing - working with midi and programming - or else you wouldn’t do it. I choose to spend my available time practicing my instrument. They are both valid approaches, and I don’t disparage your choice.

If there is a manual that explains what I’m asking regarding Beat Buddy, I could have missed it. Especially if it’s just a revision to a previous document (I read all the BB materials years ago). If you could point out where the info is - or even just let me know that it exists - it might help me to determine if I can somehow just use the drum portion of BB user-generated files. As a solo acoustic artist, I would probably use the cajon set and tweak as needed.

Actually though, another user generously explained that I should be able to do just that. I haven’t tried it yet, but it seems simple enough, if I can just get my synapses to fire.

Thank you. That’s very helpful. There are so many user-created songs out there that I would like to use; I just wasn’t sure if I could separate them out to just use the drum part. I’ll give this a try.

I learned most of what I needed for building drumkits from the Drum Maker Manual. I’ll get back to that document in a short bit.

As another user already advised you, you can use the DOP version of user created songs, when that version is provided, and use any “drums only” kit. Those songs are made with just the drum parts, so even the cajon kit would work.

When there is no DOP version, the process is more complicated, and, maybe, more than you want to undertake. Essentially, you would get the recommended kit for the song, and then edit the kit to delete all of the non drum parts. Then do a “save as” on that kit to give it a new name, and select that kit as the default kit for the song.

You’d also need to change the kit name within BB Manager. This tutorial explains that process:

Given this document and the Singular Drum Maker manual, you should be able to figure out the steps needed.

But, given the complexity of some of the user created songs, there could be instances when that does not produce a desired result. Rather than getting into the esoteric discussion of midi editing, there is a simpler process: Send a message to the user who made the song, and request that they make a drums only version. They may say yes, they may say no. Somebody else might jump in and offer a drums only version. We’re pretty helpful around here to folks that are reasonably polite and don’t have a preset negative attitude.

So, just to review:

1. Try to find a DOP version, or a drums only version
  2. Turn off (set volume to 0) or delete unwanted instruments in the drum kit
  3. When1 or 2 do not work, request a DOP version.

Some songs that were made as a full arrangement may not work well with just a deletion of non-drum parts. This would be true, for example, when there was some sort of instrumental intro, and drums come in later. Consider the arrangement of Etta James’ “At Last.” Something like that might necessitate creating a simple click track for the intro. You might need some back and forth with the arranger to get to where you want, if the arranger feels like doing it. But, at the point you want to say, “that counts me out, bye,” I, for one, would be done with you.

1 Like

I use my BB Mini 2 for all my songs and i have over 650 of them. Mostly country new and old and irish country. I’m attaching a list of the songs with their beats if you wish feel free to see if anything there will suit your needs. Most all the songs on the list a listed with youtube if you need to listen to see if you like it. I had the original BB way back when it first hit the market and it doesn’t appear to have changed much since then. I sold it simply because it translated into work for me plus it frustrated the hell out of me trying to learn jargon i wasn’t familiar with and time was a factor for me So i needed something new. Beat buddy is a good product but not for everyone. Now i’m retired i went with the BB Mini 2 and i haven’t had a regret doing it. Good luck with your drummer. Most of these beats are available on the original BB but maybe a different name.
Wayne’s Beats.zip (35.1 KB)

1 Like

Yes, however he’d need to utilize BBM to transfer the song to the SD card. In addition, if he wants to hear what the creator of the BB song made, he must add the recommended drumkits, which are also in BBM. So, if a user wants to hear anything other than the default content, they must learn how to utilize BBM to add files to the SD card.