Convert a .wav to .mid ???

I used drumbot.com to create a wav (that’s the only format it can export as). I need this drum part for the 3rd verse of Bruce Springsteen’s “Glory Days.” I want to convert it to a .mid so I can transition to this drum part and have it loop until I transition back out to the regular beat.

I’ve searched around for a website that does this but haven’t had any luck. I found one that converts from mp3 to .mid, so I converted my wav to an mp3 in Audacity, but then couldn’t successfully convert it to midi.

Any help would be great!

I’ve attached my .sng for Glory Days and the drum part for the 3rd verse as a wav.

tweaked the .wav. too big so here it is referenced…

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bxg11HvsR9SxODl5TGhOcDNDQ0k

After many hours of effort trying different apps, I could not find an app or the means to successfully convert either an mp3 or wav files to MIDI.

I downloaded amazingmidi and “converted” the .wav file to .mid. I added it to my glorydays.sng, started the song, transitioned to my new mid and…dead silence! LOL. So I know what you mean and will drop the subject.

So what’s the trick to creating a midi beat? What’s the software I need? Any suggestions?

OK, scratch that last question…Found this thread…
http://forum.mybeatbuddy.com/index.php?threads/how-do-i-create-or-edit-midi-what-software-can-be-used.1315/

There may be at least 2 different thoughts on how to do this and it also depends on what you are looking for e.g., default format (multi-part) song (which is what it sounds like you are looking for) or one-press bass (OPB):
[LIST]
[]modify existing beats from the default contents
[
]download a source MIDI file for a song you like and transcribe it using a DAW such as Reaper, MidiEditor, Beat Builder or Logic Pro X (there are other very capable DAWs out there too); using a DAW, you can adjust the drums so they will work in the BeatBuddy and add bass and other instruments (keys, strings, horns, etc) based on the sound and genre you’re going for.
[*]You can also “steal with zeal” by searching the forum/Resources to see if your song has already been uploaded
[/LIST]
Phil (non-Flood) has posted Glory Days here http://forum.mybeatbuddy.com/index.php?resources/glory-days-op-ludwig-bass.374/

Understood. Thanks Persist!
Playing around with Anvil and when creating a beat there are all sorts of other percussion instruments (wood block, timbale, etc.). Seems that when I incorporate anything unusual, you don’t hear that instrument when you add that midi to a BB sng. Any way around that?

It probably just depends on the kit you’re using as not all were created equal, ha hah.

There are lots of kits that users have customized to include the instruments you are looking for. My favorite drum kit remains the Standard Pro. Although it’s a premium kit, it includes most everything you will need. Before buying it though, you can try some of the customized kits that users have uploaded and among the many that I use, the NP StdPBass 63-91 is also very good (free; free is good, right?). The screen shots show the instruments that are included in this kit. The NP stands for non-percussion settings for the bass. This kit is at http://forum.mybeatbuddy.com/index.php?resources/np-stdpbass-63-91.2023/

Phil Flood posted a tutorial for Logic Pro X but it’s good enough to give you an idea of how to work up a song with a DAW. http://forum.mybeatbuddy.com/index.php?threads/soul-rhythm.7803/#post-34215

[ATTACH=full]6932[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]6933[/ATTACH]

Again I will show my ignorance…if anvil features a cabassa, and I’ve downloaded the kit you suggest, then add a cabassa, it will work. Are all cabassas and shakers the same? Confused…

Not all of the BB custom drum kits are the same. Because the kit is limited to <100Mb, kit builders will often save space by removing duplicate drum instruments such as toms and cymbals. Some might not load cabasa, shakers and maracas, instead, loading one (or none) of these three. When this is the case, you can probably get by substituting the shaker for the cabasa or vice versa

Downloaded the kit you referenced above and saved it. So now it appears in the dropdown with “Standard” “Rock” “Ethereal” etc. Made a quick 4 count midi file with claves and it sounds like the alien in Close Encounters (set to a standard 4 count). I’m lost :confused:

Would you mind zipping and uploading the file so we can take a look at it?

It’s the exact file that I clicked on the blue box in the link you provided here…
http://forum.mybeatbuddy.com/index.php?resources/np-stdpbass-63-91.2023/

Built by jivejong and tweaked by Phil. Maybe I just didn’t execute it properly after I downloaded and unzipped and saved it.

Sorry. Should have been more specific. Looking for the quick 4-count MIDI file you created.

Ah. I didn’t save it but I can throw it together again on Anvil. I’ll get it posted tonight. Thanks again!

If you used the original claves mapping from the General Midi standard, you are triggering bass notes in the kit. You need to more your claves in your midi track to midi 25 (C#0), and your cabasa to midi 19 (G-1). The tones in your midi track need to be moved to match the kit your are using.

Thanks Phil. So the claves sound in Anvil is not “universal?” ie: it may not match the claves sound that BB is accustomed to.

Ok, terminology lesson. BB plays midi files. Midi files have no sounds. The file triggers a sound in a midi sound module, which is what the BB is. In Anvil, you create a file using what is known as the General Midi drum map. See the attached file. As you can see, in that standard, claves are at midi 75 and cabasa is at midi 69. If you create a midi file in Anvil with notes intended for claves and cabasa, you are placing notes at midi 69 and 75.

Now, those of us who make drumkits for the BB do not always follow that General Midi standard. As far as I recall, kits made by GarryA usually follow the standard fairly closely. I tend to follow the standard up through Midi note 59, sometimes up to 71, and I make a guide to my kits that tells where the notes are mapped. The NP Standard Bass 63-91 has bass notes programmed at midi 63-91. That, obviously conflicts with the drum tones in the general midi standard from 63 through 81, and it why your file sounds like Close Encounters. Your are playing bass notes. To still provide some of those tones in the General Midi kit that were, essentially, covered up by the bass, the creator of that kit remapped those tones to midi 10 through 27.

Different makers of midi sound modules have their own sounds. So claves in one sound module will likely sound a little different from claves in another sounds module, i.e., Roland vs. Yamaha vs. Korg, etc. But if, the maker follows the general midi standard, the claves will be at midi 75.

Simply put, users who created BB Drum kits do not follow the General Midi standard, so you have three choices, if you want to use midi drum parts you create in Anvil. 1- You can use a drum kit that follows the General Midi Standard. Try this kit:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/53t9jcbk6vlatbw/Hammond_with_Bass.drm?dl=0

2- You can edit your midi file to match the drum kit that you want to use. If you want to use NP Standard Bass 63-91 kit, you will need to move any of the notes in your midi file above D3 to the locations that match the corresponding instruments in the list up above in post #8.

3- You can edit or create a drumkit to match the mapping from Anvil. With the NP Standard Bass 63-9, you could open the kit, then delete the bass notes one by one, then change the midi instrument for the remapped tones at 10 through 27 to their General midi locations at 63 through 81.

So, in short, what you put out of Anvil will not universally work in a BB kit, but it should work in any sound module that follows the general midi standard.

I knew that midi is not sound (like a wav would be), rather, it’s data. But all that other info I did NOT know. Thanks very much for the explanation. This may all be a bit beyond my pay grade at this point. I will look into learning more now that I have a foundataion.

All my kits follow the GM standard for drums, this is part of my design philosophy so as ‘standard midi’ files can be used.
It can also be limiting as there are notes that aren’t used that could be assigned to other instruments, this is what Phil does with his kits by remapping the note numbers. There is a ‘midi map’ included in all my packages as a reference.

My song files are designed to be more a ‘basic accompaniment’ for a guitarist whereas Phil’s are more akin to a backing band. That again reflects the different ways in which we use the Beatbuddy.

Personally I like the way we operate as it gives the end user more choice.