Footswitch noise

I’m new to the Aeros Loop Studio, BB, and to looping in general, and honestly I love it. I wish I had it, and had started doing this years ago. It’s so fun, and such an incredibly good way to practice and make music, I can’t believe it. I’ve already created a few things I would like to record, which brings me to my question.

The footswitches, although they feel great, are so loud. I can see this being an obstacle to recording with the Aeros/midi maestro, any time I’m using a mic.

I’m wondering if there isn’t a way to add dampeners of some sort to their design? Or is this a feature other people like for some reason I’m not considering?

I think a user has already posted a potential solution. You can probably search the forum and find the post by searching. His post included pictures of what he did.

I think @persist maybe referring to a modification of the Midi Maestro, which has even noisier switches than Aeros. But I don’t know whether this would work with Aeros as well, apart from the fact that you will ruin your warranty.

Another solution would be an external midi controller. But for acoustic recordings I would strongly advise against the Midi Maestro. You could look after something like the Nektar Pacer, Behringer FCB1010, Keith McMillan Soft Step, iRig BlueBoard or something similar.

1 Like

Aeros midi does not support all functions of the onboard buttons, but a midi update in the future is expected to address some of the current shortcomings.

I use the Nektar Pacer and recommend it for its solid build, soft/silent switches and programmability using Chrome browser.

1 Like

Hmmm, not crazy about either of those. Just spent 300 on the midi maestro, so buying an additional midi controller is not ideal. And I’m definitely not voiding my warranty by opening anything up and soldering brand new gear.

Hopefully this will be something Singular Sound will try and address in the future.

Just wanted to write an update. I made my first recording, and the very first comment I got was, “What is that clicking noise? It’s so loud.”

I’m not writing this just to generally complain. I am really enjoying this product. I think Singular Sound has made a stellar musical tool. But adapting it to make it near silent is going to be a must to be able to record in a room with mics. Hope this finds its way to the engineers.

1 Like

Nothing a engineer can do about it now really unless they release new version of the unit because a firmware update can’t fix an issue like that… Only fix would be to use a quiet midi controlled pedal along with it once the new midi implementation finally comes around, hopefully soon.

1 Like

I’m not sure that’s entirely true, Brockstar. They may come up with a physical solution, eg quieter switches, something of that nature, and offer to change them out with the unit shipped back. Or perhaps they’ll work something into a new version. Either way, I thought the feedback might be helpful.

Yes, they can use the touch screen to emulate totally silent switches (soft buttons).

And how exactly is that going to help someone during a live performance with the pedal on the ground! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

There was a post in this forum that described a hack to reduce the clicked sound of the switches. It requires opening up the device and making a small mod to the existing switches. You can probably find this by using the search feature in this site.

There are likely other options depending on your access to someone with a soldering iron and sourcing replacement switches.

The easiest fix will be using the midi controller of your choice … once the next, next update comes out with more complete midi support.

3 Likes