Free MIDI editor designed for BeatBuddy

Using this forum’s Search function, you would find it at which is this page that you posted to :upside_down_face: Free MIDI editor designed for BeatBuddy

Use your browser to find 2.1 or jar.

It will require Java to work so if you don’t have that on your computer, you will need to Google it

1 Like

I’m a newbie. Sorry for the question if it has already been answered.

Is this different than the editor built into the BeatBuddy Manager software?

Thanks,
dawnpgeo

Different and better.

Great ! I will give it a try. Is there a tutorial or is is self explanatory?

Not sure there ever was a tutorial and it seems reasonably easy to figure out.

Thank you so much for the information !

I made a short video.

3 Likes

Great !! The interface looks easy enough. I will be giving it a try soon. I see cut and paste functions, too!

I can’t figure out how to delete time. When I highlight and hit Delete nothing seems to happen. If I only apply notes to a small section, will it only output that section in the midi file? If not, how do I delete all of the extra time all the way to the end.

Please pardon my ignorance. :slight_smile:

BTW, VERY nice functionality. Cut and paste is wonderful !!!

dawnpgeo

I’m not sure how it works for the program you’re using, but I use Mixcraft and it only includes the length of the measure that has notes within each quarter of that measure. So for example, lets say I’ve got 2 bars of time open but I only put midi notes in 1 bar, the exported midi file will only be one bar (that loops over and over again). The second bar that didn’t have any notes in it will not be included. So if I wanted that second bar to be included as silence, I’d have to put a note in the last quarter of the measure and simply place the note in a location that doesn’t trigger an instrument. Hope that helps… but again, not sure if all midi software works this way.

What is the current version of BeatBuilder? Is it still being updated at all?

Have not kept track of the versions but I believe that it’s not being updated.

I thought that may of been the case!

Does beatbuilder do bass as well or will I need DAW software with midi?

many thanks for your time, i have just ordered a beat buddy (should be here soon) so im just wandering through the forum collecting info and trying to build a working understanding of the unit before i get bogged down with the real thing. regards boon

Short answer: yes
Longer answer: it may be more efficient in the long run to use a DAW. Here’s one example of the challenges that come with using the Beat Builder Beat Builder

There are other examples on the forum.

Hi everyone. Is there a way to use BeatBuilder from the command-line (and within a batch file) to open midi files and re-save them? The reason I ask is I would love to batch process a folder of drum midi files by opening and saving each one, in order to take advantage of BeatBuilders automatic midi remapping.

So far I’ve tried the following command-line - but found that the midi file is not opened - it simply launches BeatBuilder:

start java -jar BeatBuilder.jar “test.mid”

Any help is greatly appreciated.
-Al

Hi Victorypoint, welcome to the forum.

From what I can see, BeatBuilder does not accept any command line parameters.

Hi I’m new to BB, but by day I’m a software developer. I found Beat Builder in another thread have been using it the last couple of days.

The download was from a Dropbox so I’m guessing the code is not available to the public, from what I understand it’s no longer being actively developed.

If the original dev is willing, I’m happy to create a GitHub repo and maybe a few of us could look at keeping it going ?

The original developer was user @CharlesSpencer and he was last seen on this forum about 2 years ago. You can try messaging him but I’m not sure he will reply. I noticed that most of his posts have been deleted or removed. I found a user with that name on Git Hub but it doesn’t appear that he’s very active there, either.

My opinion? Why bother when there are several DAWs out there (some of them free or low cost) to choose from and use. So many projects on Git Hub become abandoned-ware after their initial champions get discouraged and move on when no one (or very few) contribute to the project.