Free MIDI editor designed for BeatBuddy

You have a nice looper that works very well as a standalone device however, things become more complex when you try to get it to work with other midi pedals. Forum users have had varying degrees of success and frustration with the Boss RC-50. You can search the forum for comments on “Boss RC50” and see what they have to say. http://forum.mybeatbuddy.com/index.php?threads/beat-buddy-loopers-midi-sync.82/page-8#post-15622see post 157. The key takeaway is that the midi will work reasonably well with the Boss as master.

There are many reviews from non-forum users that also reflect that the Boss RC-50 is not very midi-friendly. http://www.zzounds.com/productreview–BOSRC50

If you figure out how to make it work well with the BeatBuddy, please share with the forum what you did to get it to work well.

I would like to work on creating more realistic beats that incorporate different instruments that aren’t in the Beat Builder Program. (e.g… hand percussion along with beats from a drum kit…such as Carnival by Natalie Merchant). Since this isn’t doable in Beat Builder, what is the next best program to use? Thanks so

Do you mean something like this? http://forum.mybeatbuddy.com/index.php?resources/carnival-opb.1092/

If this is what you had in mind, you can do it with Reaper or any other decent DAW. I used Logic Pro X (Mac only, though).

This sounds like an awesome software that I want to try out. I don’t see how to import midi files that I’ve already made say in Logic Pro or ProTools. If I have some midi files that I already created in a DAW, and want to import them into BeatBuilder so that I can correctly create a new drum set in BeatBuddy, how do I import said midi files? I’m sorry…I’m new at all of this and I didn’t see a cut and dry way of importing midi files into BeatBuilder.

Thanks,
Aaron

You might want to start by reading the user manual or view some of the tutorials https://library.mybeatbuddy.com/tutorials

Thank you much persist!
I am getting familiar with BB Manager, however this “BeatBuilder” program, from what I’ve read, is supposed to assist with breaking down the midi tracks as to make sure they are compatible with BB, and are inserted as drum sets or songs properly. Am I incorrect in my thinking? I’m referring to this:

Download the BeatBuilder.jar file to your desktop:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rm4weqraqw4ye2t/BeatBuilder.jar?dl=0

Great product congratulations

I’ve successfully downloaded it (Win7, Java 8.1) and it opens. But when I try to open a file, no open dialogue appears. When I try to close it (either Exit in the file menu or the X in upper right corner) nothing happens, I have to cancel it in Task Manager. Any suggestions?

Try reinstalling in a vertual machine. ie VMAware.

That’s how I got it working!

:slight_smile: Toby

I have tried installing and reinstalling the runtime so many times, but no go. When I click on the Jar nothing happens This is only on one of my Win 10 units, but it’s the main one I wanted to work.

If the JRE does not work, you could try the JDK version of Java. You might have to run the jar file as an Admin.

Maybe I will try again with JDK. I tried alot to get it going before and gave up. I did try to run JRE as Admin already. I had to manually get the JAR to be assigned to JRE as the default program, but even after that the screen flashes back (Like its launching) but then nothing happens I tried reinstalling, uninstalling and cleaning files and Reg assignments) and then reinstall, etc

I installed beatbuilder and tried to use it…
Are you serious? No undo, no copy + paste? Did you ever try to end the programm? You can’t! This is not usefull.

But yet, BeatBuilder works so well for so many who have no complaints—after all, it’s free :cool:. You could try Reaper or if you’re a Mac user, spend some coin on Logic Pro X. A free alternative would be PreSonus Studio. Let us know which one works for 'ya.

I used cubase before beatbuilder, but I guessed a midi-editor specially designed for beatbuddy might be better. Now I know better.
“Hey, it doesn’t really function - but it’s free!” No thanks!

Thank you for the constructive feedback.

So I have a new computer that I’m trying to set up and I can not find any way to get this file to open and load. I did it on an old computer, but I keep going round and round and I have downloaded the Java update and installed…nothing. Is there any other way to get the file get it installed. I have a PC by the way.

After seeing some of the negative comments, I thought I’d post a very positive one. I needed to adjust the timing on a Latin beat, and from never having seen the BeatBuilder before, dowloaded it, job done and the beat that I wanted in under 15 mins. Great bit of software, and its free too!

1 Like

I agree that the beatbuilder is good addition to the Beatbuddy user’s toolkit.

Would the author consider opening the source code, say on GitHub, so that any developers in the audience might have the opportunity to help with maintenance?

Hello, I first want to thank the author of Beatbuilder Drum Editor. This tool is invaluable in creating quick drum beats from midi files. If the author is reading this, may I suggest a numbering system for each measure. When extracting a midi file’s drums, the measures have to be counted for easy editing. Now, I have to count all measures by eye to get too bridges, choruses, endings. Thank you
Rich
www.RichardMedel.com