Free MIDI editor designed for BeatBuddy

Hi everyone hope that you are all well. I have been using my BB for quite some time now and very comfortable using it live etc, as you all know great product. So I am now at a stage where I need to edit or build my own beats using the fantastic BeatBuilder software. I have just started looking at it tonight and have a small beat that I am testing. Whilst this forum is amazing I can’t find the answers that I need and thought I should just ask… lol

So I have made my beat using beatbuilder and am ready to save it… My questions are this

What format do I save it as
Where do I save it to
When I import it into my BB where is it saved? do I need to create a separate FOLDER (like My Beats or similar) so that I know where they are…

I am sure these questions have been answered here but I just can’t seem to narrow down to them and find the answers I need.

Thanks all in advance and keep rockin’

I downloaded and installed and everything appeared to go fine. However, when I opened a midi file, no midi loads. The file shows as the open file but nothing is in the editor. Any ideas?

Try opening the file attached, that works in Beatbuilder here with me. If this opens it will eliminate one variable at least. It is possible that the midi file you are making does not map onto the Beatbuilder midi/instruments numbers. This often happens with non-standard midi mapping such as with the World Percussion drum kit.

Ok, thanks I will give that a try but must admit I’m a bit confused. One of the features of this editor from the OP and why I grabbed it is that it “automates converting downloaded MIDI files to a format compatible with the BeatBuddy pedal. Specifically, it remaps instruments to the subset of instruments included in the standard BeatBuddy kits”. How does it convert midi files to a compatible format if it won’t even load them?

Update - Tim’s file worked, I’m able to open it just fine (so far as I can tell) with the Beatbuilder. But the song file I have still will not open though it is mapped to BB std kit and plays fine. Is there a note limit in the Beatbuilder by chance? Also, still curious about how it remaps files. Thanks

how do i get it to work on win 10?

1 Like

Tony, instead of double-posting, let’s cut it down to a single thread, please!

you need Java and updated .
Then click on the jar files to open Beatbuilder.
If don’t work try this:
I get it working with this tool

Download the “jarfix.exe” and just 2x click, and it works

http://johann.loefflmann.net/en/software/jarfix/index.html#Download

Greetings

thx, java is up to date, have downloaded jarfix double clicked but what do i do then?

ahhh just started working, many thx

Glad for you , enjoy !!

I’m trying to use the copy and edit function but can’t figure it out. I want to copy an entire section and use the same section throughout four bars. Any advice?

Bil, just to be clear, are you trying to do this in the BeatBuddy Manager (BBM) or in the Beat Builder? If in the BBM, you can review http://forum.mybeatbuddy.com/index.php?threads/duplicating-a-part-to-move-i-give.6586/#post-27539

I’m trying to do it in the builder

I’m trying to copy notes from one measure to another. However, each time I paste the copied notes it does paste them but also ads a new blank measure. How do I copy notes without having it add a new measure?

such a shame it HAS to have Java. I refuse to install java for anything!

Anyone try editing a midi file right in the beat buddy manager? I usually use a third party software, but I thought to save some time (just editing a single hit or two) I’d right click and use the built in editor. I have to say it is aweful. There are hits that don’t show in the editor, the spacing between hits doesn’t make sense. I’m using version 1.6.4.0 so I’m not sure… maybe there’s an update somewhere. This can’t be the editing software that the BB staff developed is it? Yeesh.

Rather than try to use it as a midi editor, it is better suited as a tool to identify Non-Supported drum instruments and bass notes which should then be fixed in your DAW.

The developers are aware of the issues.

can i use boss rc-50 as a slave to beat buddy using midi sync?