HELP! SD card reads "NO SONG"

My SD card, when inserted in my laptop, appears to have files on it.

When inserted into my BB, it reads:

NO SONG
Genre:
Time sig. -/-

I tried downloading the .zip file to reload the SD card, but as I said, it appears to have data on it. I tried to export from the computer BB manager to the BB itself, but it continues to stay frozen.

HELP!

Can you please provide all the details, as there are various fixes.

Has this ever worked?
If so, when did it stop working?
What did you do before it stopped working?
Have you hacked any files?

If it has never worked you can redownload the contents and copy all the files over overwriting everything. You could do this on another SD card however I believe it needs to be the SDHC card. What is this zip file the main content is a rar file when downloaded?

I have seen this before after hacking the files as the CSV file was incorrect. Also have you used the manager software? The more information the better.

Exactly what I wanted to ask. Please tell use what have lead to your problem.

If you tried updating the firmware through manager software - most likely it’s a firmware fault now - take a look here http://mybeatbuddy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=519&start=20#p2167.

Thanks for attempting to help.

In short:

1. BB itself worked just fine until yesterday - have had it since Sept
  2. Per setup instructions, when I received the BB, I downloaded all content onto my laptop BB manager software
  3. All was fine and everything worked until …
  4. I connected the BB itself via USB to my laptop STUDIO ONE recording software to see if the STUDIO ONE software would find and recognize the BB as an input … I was trying to see if I could export any MIDI or other data from the BB itself to my STUDIO ONE software
  5. It did not work - the STUDIO ONE software did not find/recognize the BB an an input device

SOO …

1. I unplugged the BB USB cord from the BB itself
  2. Somewhere in the process, the screen FROZE (as described in my original message)
  3. I rebooted the BB - turned off power - unplugged even – resupplied power, etc. – nothing - still FROZEN
  4. I inserted the SD card into my laptop and checked the contents. Appeared to have contents. Regardless, I erased/reformatted the entire SD card and tried to reload it from the BB manager per your instructions –
    it appeared that the content transferred successfully to the SD card - I checked this on the laptop - all contents there -
    so the SD card probably was not corrupted I don’t think
  5. I put the SD card BACK IN my BB and still nothing - FROZEN SCREEN
  6. I then tried exporting from the BB manager to the SD card while the card was in the BB itself, and also tried it
    when the SD card was inserted into my computer SD port
  7. Right now, I have all the BB contents on my laptop, in the BB manager, so I’m able to play these sounds
    via the headphone out to my speakers - thus, I have some sound to at least practice
  8. HOWEVER, no matter what I do, the screen on the BB itself remains frozen
  9. If there was a RESET TO FACTORY SETTINGS or something like that, then I would try that option, but I cannot
    find any such option in the booklet or PDF instructions
    ESSENTIALLY – WHEN THE SD CARD WITH CONTENTS IS INSERTED INTO THE BB DEVICE, THE SCREEN ON THE DEVICE REMAINS FROZEN AND DOES NOT READ THE SD CARD

Any other info needed? It may have occurred at some point with disconnecting the USB, but when I disconnected it,
there was no data simultaneously being transferred. Is there a factory reset?

Any info appreciated!

Looks like this step was what caused problems.

As far as I hacked/read somewhere else on the internet, BeatBuddy seems to use special partition on SD card to hold the loader there. (I may be totally wrong here, and would LOVE to hear about that).

Please try what I recommended with the firmware in my previous post.

Thanks, D!

Will try your previous suggestion and see what happens, however, just for your info, the BB was frozen and stayed
frozen for some time before I decided to reformat the SD card. So I’m not sure that the final reformatting screwed this up –
but perhaps the SD was already corrupted in some way (or partially erased) in my earlier attempts to transfer data from
the SD to my laptop STUDIO ONE recording software. So when I tried to use it in the BB, it would not load.

Will let you know if your earlier idea works, though. If not, then I don’t know what else to do. I’d hate to toss this thing after waiting so long for it to show up. But it is worthless as is unless I can get it unfrozen.

Just to make sure we both understood correctly - you intend to download firmware, extract it to the SD card and see what happens, yes?

I am not sure this helps after SD card reformat, but most likely it will. Anyway, if your problem doesn’t get solved, please contact support at contact@mybeatbuddy.com ASAP. They will definitely know what to do! :slight_smile:

Hope your BeatBuddy will be fixed soon and you’ll continue enjoying it!

Thanks again, D. Really appreciate you helping me on this.

But … Ok - tried going to TOOLS (as you suggested) and clicked “UPDATE FIRMWARE”

I get error message “No BeatBuddy SD card was automatically found” along with another subscreen titled “BeatBuddy” and it says “Scanning Drives” and shows a green bar of 75% complete (but it freezes there) –

I tried inserting the SD card in my computer - same result
rebooted the entire thing – same result
put the SD card back in the BB - same result

so …

I click out of both of the errorscreens mentioned above and close them, but suddenly another screen pops up which is titled “Firmware Update Manager” and it shows “Firmware Source selection” and “BeatBuddy Selection” – each of the two selections have buttons I can click on -

FIRMWARE SOURCE SELECTION has a button “check for update online” - when I click that button I get a pop-up saying “Errors have been encountered during download” —

BEATBUDDY SELECTION has a button “Detect Pedal” - if you click on that button you get the original two error screens which say No BeatBuddy SD card was automatically found" etc (as described at the beginning of my message) –

Thus, it seems that the Firmware Download option also causes errors for me and won’t let me update or do anything else. Geez.

So - my question is this – IF THE INSTRUCTIONS SAY YOU CAN USE ANY SD CARD IF YOU LOSE YOUR ORIGINAL ONE, AND YOU JUST HAVE TO DOWNLOAD THE CONTENTS ONTO THE NEW CARD, THEN WHAT DIFFERENCE IS THAT APPROACH AND ME JUST REFORMATTING THE ORIGINAL SD CARD (WHICH MAKES IT ESSENTIALLY A BLANK SD CARD)???

WHY CAN’T I JUST USE THIS SD CARD AND RELOAD THE ORIGINAL CONTENTS ON IT?

Any ideas?

Hi D:

I was able to get the firmware from the .rar file you posted – I cleared the SD card and dragged the .rar firmware contents
onto the SD card - the contents appear to have transferred just fine

I put the SD in the BB device, and received a message that

“UPDATING BEATBUDDY FIRMWARE” and then moments later
“UPDATE DONE - PLEASE REMOVE SD AND REBOOT”

So I removed SD, and unplugged the BB, turned the BB back on, and inserted the SD card again –

then it REPEATS the same thing as above (exact wording) - and I’m back to rebooting - but now what?

At least I’m getting SOMEWHERE!! :slight_smile:

So… Looks like you’ve simply lost track of what to do :slight_smile: Just calm down, I’ll try to give you easy steps what to try to do before I go get some sleep.

1. If you cannot access SD card content either through plugging BeatBuddy to the computer via USB, or inserting SD card into computer SD card reader, I think the problem is SD card is malfunction, so you most likely need to try another one (also contact support, they will probably send you a replacement 4Gb SD card).
  2. Download either original content from http://mybeatbuddy.com/downloads/ or my MIDI fixed version from https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9LXvRHhc7bHMXFuSXl6Wk5xWEk/view.
  3. Extract it onto an SD card. In the root of SD card you should now see at least 4 folders - DRUMSETS, EFFECTS, PARAMS and SONGS.
  4. Download original firmware from http://mybeatbuddy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=519&p=2167#p2167
  5. Extract it onto an SD card together with the content. In the root of SD card you should now see like 6 new files added.
  6. Unplug BeatBuddy from USB (always use safe device shutdown in Windows btw!) or insert SD card into BeatBuddy.
  7. The firmware will update itself, and BeatBuddy should be functional once again.

Please make sure you have both firmware AND content unpacked on SD card! And while troubleshooting, don’t use your custom content - only downloaded in step 4!

Don’t ask me how, but I stumbled around with the SD card and the firmware download, etc. and was FINALLY
able to get the BB working again.

Thanks for all the info.

Mike

Mike, I am happy to hear you’ve finally repaired your BeatBuddy!

Have fun now! :slight_smile:

Thanks, Daefecator. This post solved my problem of, “No SD Card”, after I have been wrestling with it for a couple of days. I was ready to throw the pedal in the trash and now it works perfectly. Once again, thank you!

Well, you are always welcome!

That’s indeed very embarassing, when the pedal stops working as advertised. I once had my own pedal broken for days after a firmware update gone wrong. So I completely understand the pain and anger caused by BeatBuddy issues.

Unfortunately, shit happens. Now more than ever, as it is a brand new product, but Singular Sound makes everything possible to improve the pedal and streamline the overall process of production > packaging > shipping.
Fortunately, most of the issues are actually pretty easy to solve. Just ask, we’ll try our best to help you!

Help : I have erased my Rock file from BB Manager

How do I get back my Rock file from BB Manager, I deleted the file by accident. The sd card is still in the computer I have not removed it. I downloaded the “backup sd card” than went to songs, but its not that easy, the songs aren’t listed "Rock " there in code…any ideas?
Thanks

The recommended official way to do that is

1. Export all tracks that you’ve modified or created. (Make sure they have names containing ONLY letters and digits before exporting!!!)
  2. Close BBManager
  3. Simply overwrite the BBManager project with contents from a downloaded archive.
  4. Create a new folder for your songs, then import all your songs from point 1 to there.

Treat a BeatBuddy project like a single solid file (despite it is a folder), and don’t try to navigate inside it. As far as I got it, it is intended to be an unreadable mess as of currently.

I just got my Beatbuddy and I have the exact same issue. No Song. It already had the latest firmware installed. I know I received this ‘blemished’ but it appears brand new. It won’t hook up directly to my Windows 7 via usb so I needed a card reader. I said screw it and got a new sd card, too. Either way, both have latest software and firmware and same error.

Do a search for “No Song” Error and it will give you the general idea how to fix the issue. Instead of the link in that post, need to download and install Default BeatBuddy Content Update from https://library.mybeatbuddy.com/software-download/

Thank you for your quick advice. Unfortunately, I’ve been doing my research all day. I called support about the first connection issue and that’s when I got the card reader. I went to that exact url and downloaded/uploaded/extracted, as indicated everywhere I looked. Instead of copying over my first drive’s data, I will try removing the files and then putting the new ones on. Anything is worth a shot.

Thanks,
Chris