Requires:

• NP Standard Pro Bass
  • Beta BeatBuddy Manager version ≥1.6b
  • Firmware ≥ v1.8.5 (recommended)

Includes: Song, chords & lyrics and midi source file

Download Here

Def Leppard

Notes:

• What’s updated? Different source file; 1 new version; adjusted velocities; refreshed cheat sheet.
  • UPDATED 09/07/2022: Link (in blue font) to new user resources

Song version_________Suggested kit

v1 DOP______________SUB-Standard Pro Plain
v2 OPB______________SUB-Std Pro PL Bass 0-31

Includes: 2 songs, MIDI source file and Chords & Lyrics

Hysteria - Def Leppard.zip (58.6 KB)
1777/181

1 Like

Great song and great OPB.

The Crash cymbal seems loud for the SUB-Std Pro PL Bass 0 - 31 Kit. I thought it was just this song but it’s many of them. I adjusted with Reaper and brought it way down but it still seems to carry for a longer time - many cymbals seem like that. Is this something i Can do to adjust the kit or is there an alternative to it?

Great question and thanks for bringing this up as I’ve noticed this too and have lately tried cutting the velocity by 50% and sometimes more when I start transcribing the song.

This may be one of the songs I worked on before I started paying closer attention to the crash cymbals. Sorry….

You could cut the velocities in Reaper and see if that helps.

Depending on what drum instruments (acoustic drum, rimshot, sticks or instruments above MIDI ID 59) are used in the song MIDI, you might be able to use the Rock, Standard or Metal kits without having to tweak the cymbal velocities.

You can lower the volume of the individual loud cymbals in the kit itself. Adjust the volume down several db, and then do Drumset>Save Drumset to keep the change to the kit.

To change the length of the cymbal decay, i would take the wav and apply a shorter fade to the wav. This will make the cymbal die out quicker. You could do this in any DAW, and then replace the wav in the kit with the edited wav.

I just tried the unedited song with the Rock_V2_Bass_2_31 (had to move 2 notes from MIDI ID 40 to 38). Crash Cymbals do not seem as loud.

I reduced the cymbal velocity from 80 to 40 or so and you can add this MIDI file to your song and see if it makes a difference. Still using the SUB-Std Pro PL Bass 0-31 kit.
Song v2b Hysteria.mid.zip (1.6 KB)

Phil_Flood’s suggestions are good ones and they will work for many of the older v2 songs I’ve posted (using the SUB-Std Pro PL Bass 0-31 drum set) in which I did not reduce the velocity of the crash cymbals.

However, YMMV with a modified SUB-Std Pro PL Bass 0-31 kit with some of the more recent songs I’ve posted with the lowered crash cymbals velocity—the crash cymbals might sound too low. to get around that, I would suggest renaming any kit you edit so you still have the original SUB-Std Pro PL Bass 0-31 kit.

Let us know what you end up using so that other users may benefit from what you learn. Thanks

Thanks all for the feedback. I ended up just reducing the velocity on hysteria (49 was the # in Reaper) and it worked much better for me.

Again, thanks for all of your work and insight!

1 Like