Is this forum pushing BB in the right direction?

Here’s my issue. There’s no flexibility with the One Press. Why not go with Karaoke-Version if you are going to do a One Press?
Does it sound more professional? I think so.

the “Karaoke” label (to me) is a bit unfair to a vocalist. seems very negative to add labels like that.
If a musician is PLAYING at least one instrument live (including voice) then to label it Karaoke is a slap in the face.
It diminishes the live performance of that one live instrument. even if it is only a vocalist or only a guitar or any other one LIVE instrument, no matter how many recorded backings you have

I’m along with jstrauss, to label it as karaoke is an insult…aside from that, there are many reasons to do OPB… here are a few…

1. MANY users don’t want to do the B.B.-2-step dance…double tap etc
  2. MANY users like to do covers “as-is”
  3. OPB provides another B.B. “form”… more variety is better
  4. there IS craftsmanship involved… many midi files are incorrect… we OPB creators spend lots of time correcting
  5. if you pipe the B.B. left/right into a soundboard as I do, there is LOTS that can be done to tailor a sound…harder with karaoke versions.
    Etc etc etc.

Really, it’s just another way of using the pedal, maybe not an anticipated way, but relatively importance. Judging by songs posted and # of downloads, it looks like OPB is here to stay. Each to his own.

Honestly I had my worries regarding OPB but then after a short time realized that there are a lot of tunes that are truely OPB type songs and trying to jam them out or change there structure in a live performance just dosn;t work so why not create them as such and now only have to press once and your done. sounds like progress to me :slight_smile:

If Beatbuddy were to completely disable the possibility of doing one press songs, I would be either finding another pedal or inventing one myself. As stated just above here, these songs are not “pull off the shelf and sing” like a karaoke format. Around 10% of the songs that I play out, I have created myself from scratch. I also use no lyrics or charts at all on stage. I see a lot of “real bands” still using song books or computers to help them on stage. I played with a four piece band for 35 years before working up my solo gig. This gives me much more flexibility to book and play the songs that I want. To anybody who wants to say that this is far too easy, and cheating, I would challenge you to start from scratch where a lot of us creators did and have at it. It just gives a real musician the opportunity to play real music with a real instrument and give the audience The Full Experience of a song with all of its nuances intact. Unfortunately I believe that beatbuddy is probably going in the same direction as the one press detractors. I remember a couple of years ago having good communication, dialogue and feedback from the creators about the one press method. To me it is no different than having an acoustic guitar manufacturer accept the dawning of Amplified guitar music and embracing electrified guitars and amplifiers. It just seems like a Natural Evolution that should be embraced instead of resisted. And, that particular clip that was played with the screenshot sounds pretty terrible to me too. It isn’t just simply plugging a midi into a drum set with particular instruments. There has to be editing of all of the midi events for length and velocity and volume and choosing an appropriate kit. Getting this right can take hours on end to complete the song that sounds natural while being played live. If beatbuddy were on board with this I believe they could Market instruments and drum kits that would sell like hotcakes. I really think they’re missing the boat on this. I would really like to hear from them on this forum and on this particular subject.

I understand using the “K” word has its negative connotations. I, for one, actually enjoy doing karaoke. So, yes the OPB’s that I make up have karaoke-like elements to them. The big difference in using a recorded, as opposed to a midi file karaoke that’s been edited for BB, is that the recorded karaoke has no flexibility of eliminating instruments. I’d be stuck with their guitar solo. But, outside of that, Mark makes a good point. The music from the recorded or even a midi karaoke does generally sound better coming out of recording rig or a live midi rig.
But, that does point out another plus for the BB, the size factor. I can have 300 kits loaded up in BB, and not carry Roland Synth along to a gig. It’s one of those preference things.

I enjoy karaoke also but what we all work so hard to do here as musicians is far from karaoke.

…and what about just the plain old enjoyment factor? Fir me, it’s a kick to puck a tune from my list…the B.B. starts and off I go! Too much fun! Sometimes, you just don’t want to think about it. I’ve tried the TRIO pedal and it’s just not the same.
If some want to call OPB karaoke, that’s just fine… but for me… it builds my skills as a guitarist…and it’s damn enjoyable. Nothing wrong with that.

I imagine if SS tries to write out OPB ability with the next evolution of the software, a lot of us will stick with 1.6.4,faults and all…or go to another pedal, like TRIO.

I will definitely stick with what I have. It’s just second nature to work around the glitches. I’ve got WAYYY tooo much time invested and so much more to do to lose what can be done right now with the current version. And you’re right Phil, it is damn enjoyable and so simple to use after the hours of work to get the tunes just right. The work is a blast too. Anyone can karaoke. But if anyone stepped up on stage to take their turn with my set up to prove it’s a piece of cake, I bet they’d find out different.

I regularly ask people if they have a problem with the additions to the sound,(bass, keys etc…) and I have never heard anything but “It adds to what you’re doing if you can do it, DO IT.” I get my doubts about it on this forum, unfortunately.

Each time I go out with only the pedal, it’s… another guy with a drum pedal…but then, the wow factor sets in…
And I usually get questions from other amateurs like me. Wonder how many sales it’s generated?

The Karaoke comment is a valid concern and thats why I got the Beatbuddy in the first place. I don’t like the common karaoke type tracks with so many instruments on them. And that is why I only use drums and bass with the Beatbuddy.

As far as having a full song programmed instead of just loops. I’ve had my Beatbuddy since 2014 and started off with just the loops, even when creating midi’s and songs but it soon progressed to longer loops and then full songs. I always strive for a way to add a looping section or more flexible arrangement but sometimes the easiest way is for a full song.

I have been playing mainly with my band the last year or two but am getting back into using the Beatbuddy more for solo stuff. Was going through some songs yesterday getting a refresh and there were a couple where I thought I play the song the same everytime I play it and the button pushing to change parts was pointless so I edited them into one press songs. I still have plenty where I have more control and flexibility though.

I am also putting together a more chilled acoustic set using Cajon type beats and no bass lines and am finding simple loops work alot better in that scenario.

See? Flexibility… that’s what this is all about. There’s plenty of room for everything and everyone, BTW, if you don’t already know… Guitar Stu is a B.B. “Pioneer”, and, I think, the first to figure out how to do Bass on the pedal. At least, that’s my memory.

I’ll add a bit of the perspective from Singular Sound.

We’re currently experimenting with OPB in the office. We have a unit loaded up that’s being used to test it out and experience it first hand.

Ultimately, we will never seek to limit the ways in which you can use the BeatBuddy, but there are a few things which may prevent our official support or release of OPB tracks ourselves, chief among them at the moment being legal concerns. Us releasing a track that closely recreates the drums, bass line, and perhaps even other accompanying instruments of an entire song is murky water to say the least.

I’ve always wondered about the copyright issue. Keep us updated. Thanks!

In the style of … seems to be the favored method on YT

True, but if they really wanted to put the product out, there is a way to get the licenses. At that point, it becomes a cost issue.

If you’re old enough, you might remember Music Minus One records. And, I have book here called JAM with Carlos Santana, that is a tab book with an accompanying CD of backing tracks. So, again, seems it could be done without getting murky.

There are certainly ways of accomplishing it, it’s just an aspect we need to consider before doing anything officially.

This is my thoughts totally on this. I think thinner arrangements are much more legit for solo or duo acts. I just need drums from the BB and I do bass, piano and vocals like and arrange on the fly and play totally whatever I like and off the cuff. I used to make all my backing tracks on a Roland MC-500, so I’m sure I’ll be making some custom songs for the BB and keeping the arrangments to drums, bass, keys and vocals.

Donny

That would be great. It’s almost like a super simple Ableton live just for drums. That’s exactly what I’d love. I have and use Ableton, for drums and bass, and it’s very cool, but the computer is a drag, and I’d like to have total hands-on control of all the melodic instruments and a thin arrangement that fits my “look” better. I don’t really like having to follow the bass. I’d rather be driving it. Personally I really, really don’t like backing tracks that are so heavily orchestrated. I guess for karaoke that’s OK, but for a musician performing, I as much as possible live is my preference, and for one or two players, that means more bread and butter arrangements.