LONELY PEOPLE - AMERICA (OPB)

Great tune by a great band. Enjoy! Included is the midi, the cheatsheet and the song. Uses Phil Flood’s STAX Harmonica and Piano.

lonely people.zip (54.2 KB)

https://youtu.be/f3vnmV6pPKI

1 Like

Thanks Phil

You’re welcome!

Thanks Phil! Great job as usual!!

Nice bit of work. America has always been dismissed (by me) with an eye roll and most of it still is but this one is now in our book. Real ear worm/HARF (high audience recognition factor) besides being fun.

I’ve always enjoyed the tune, like you say, HARF. Glad you like it.
Right now I’m kind of soured on the Buddy, been waiting years for a meaningful update. I don’t think we’ll ever get one.

After all these years (5? 6?) I’ve learned how to painstakingly tweak things in REAPER (thanks to yourself and others). My salvation was getting hold of a beta that allowed me to update the SD easily via Synchronization on my ancient MacBook Air (a 2011 stuck at SIerra). I was about to throw BB out after going through lengthy repeated ‘Exports’. I have to constantly tweak files to get balances correct etc so that was painful. However we need it like a drug to play live. I dare not even dream about modern capabilities like drag and drop, etc.

Hello Phil & Others,

I downloaded and imported to BB Manager to try. Unzipped the files. ( there are 4 files)
Playback using BBM, But there is no sound or audio during play back
Under the BBM, Main Drum loop, it says “Null” .
Sorry if I sound stupid ans I am starting to use BB pedal
Anyone know what I have missed out

Make sure you have the drum set active in the BeatBuddy Manager (BBM); if not you’ll have to download, use the BBM to import and activate the kit.

Phil’s songs require a double-tap to start playing the song in the BBM and the pedal.

Thanks for your help. I follow your instructions.
I have BBM open on my PC with SD inserted.
“Set active” - I already can play all other songs from my speakers

I have not transfered to my pedals, only testing it out on my BBM . but no sound
Like i mentioned earlier, why is it showing “Null” under the Main Drum Roll where other songs has beats and so on?
Sorry for being naive

This is a hack of the BeatBuddy (BB) and BeatBuddy Manager (BBM) to get it to play songs with drums and bass and they’re called one-press songs, meaning you tap the BBM or BB to get it to play the song all of the way through without user intervention.

There are two structures for these one-press songs and they both have one thing in common: there has to be an “empty” MIDI file (meaning they have no instructions or data for the BBM and BB to play) placed in the Main Drum Loop so that the BBM and BB will recognize and accept it. Sometimes these empty MIDI files are also called Null or some variant of “Nil” such as Nil at 32…Bottom line is that because the “Empty” Main Drum Loop has no data, when a song is started in the BBM or BB, it will skip over that Main Drum Loop.

Phil’s structures place the MIDI file that contains the data to play the song in the Outro Fill section. This means that the Intro Fill section is empty and there’s an “empty” or Null file in the Main Drum Loop. Because Phil’s songs have the MIDI file with the instructions in the Outro Fill section, it takes a double-tap on the BBM Virtual Machine or the BB pedal to start the song and end it automatically.

The other and more common structure places the MIDI file with the data and instructions in the Intro Fill section; the Main Drum Loop (and the Outro Fill section) will have the "Empty/Null/Nill files). These songs can be started with a single-tap and require a double-tap to end.

Here’s two screen shots to show you the difference: LONELY PEOPLE requires a double-tap to play the song that’s in the Outro Fill section.

Born to be Wild has the data instructions in the Intro Fill section and requires a single-tap to start the song and a double-tap to end the song.

You might find the Quick Start Guide helpful and you can download if from here: Quick Start Guide

Here are some additional helpful items to help make this a little less confusing: resources

One last thing, if you don’t have the drum set that the song was made with active, you will see an asterisk (star) in front of the drum set name e.g., * STAX piano & harmonica

Thank you Persist. I will follow your instructions and check it out slowly. Will let you now how it goes.

1 Like