Loopers -- Again: Will a TC VoiceLive 3 Work?

Does anyone have any experience with a TC Voicelive 3? I need to find a looper that will work with the Beat Buddy, and I, given the price of the Boomerang and the Infinity with the required accessories, I’m considering a step up to the VL3.

But will it work?

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

:slight_smile:

Thanks!

Joe

Ferris is out enjoying the sunshine again but meanwhile, here’s a thread that might help: <http://mybeatbuddy.com/forum/index.php?threads/midi-sync-bb-and-voicelive-3-wow.2749/#post-10955>

The VL3 is one of our top recommendations. :slight_smile:

The VL3 works realy good with BeatBuddy… :slight_smile:
But I also prefer the Infinity, since I dont like the VL3 "Amp"-sounds that much...:( And the VL3 Looper is not Midi Control-able (only Midi Sync, no start/stop, changing of parts or anything else). And since I have a lot more to control, Infinity is my Favourit! BTW it seems that the BB will get control-able too, what will be fantastic, then I can control everything with my Midi Controller, what would mean much less foot action (sorry, dont want to make you insecure in your decision…:oops:, just wanted to add some facts. If I would have to keep my backline as small as possible, I would also try to come to terms with VL3;))

So the VL3 clock-syncs, but does not start and stops with the Beat Buddy?

Do either of the VL2 and VL3 extreme clock-sync? Do they start and stop?

Thanks!

Joe

None of the VLs (currently) support start/stop MIDI commands.

Too bad.They can be had for similar money to the Inifinities and Boomerangs of the world if you look carefully, and if I’m spending $400, might as well go big.But a start and stop would be nice.

Joe

So from this thread I’m guesising we’re looking at the Infinity and Boomerang as top choices and VL3 as a compatible but less useful option???

AFAIK…
If you need to store your Loopings, the Infinity is the way to go (IMO). If not, some users here seem to prever the Boomerang. But I never even saw one to test…:frowning:
Be aware, there was also a thread about getting Jamman Looper (Digitech) Sync-able (but I suppose its also JUST sync, no other Commands). A Solution to save money... And there are also Software-Loopers for PC/MAC, but Im totaly clueless about that:oops:…

With the latest firmware update it now sends start stop, pause messages to the bb from my vl3 just dont know quite how to figure out how to implement them while looping its sending pause messages to the bb from the vl3 when you hit doubling I dont know how to make it not do that besides unplugging the midi send to the bb, anybody got a answer for me that would be greatly appreciated thanks!!!

I got the voice live 3 right about the time they come out with voicelive 3 exstream, and a firmwear update from tc got it sync up to work with the BB, id go with vl3 extreme its got backing track playback on sd card and records your loops,but now that the vl3 sends midi stop start and pause, while looping, well that makes a big difference, I didnt have to go sell the thing and get the vl3 extreme to have that feature, but would be nice to have the automation of efx for every song that you perform with the newest one,

The VL3 is slave to another controling divice. Just bought this VL3 and updated to 2.1.01 build 355. With beatbuddy sending midi to VL3 , this is not staying in sy

If the VL is slaved to another controlling device, it’s not slaved to the BeatBuddy. Is the BB slaved to the same controller as the VL??

No. Just using VL3 & BB… But i did figure out why they were not syncing. The metronome must be “on” to sync. I “mute” the metronome. I will create a midi preset (set list maker) for my entire song list to keep metronome “on” but “muted”

That is correct - the way I think VL3 works is that loops, delay and other time related effects are synced to the metronome when it is turned on, whether there is an incoming midi clock or not. If VL3 receives a midi clock signal via midi in port then the metronome will sync to that - and therefore so will loops and delay etc.by extension.

@tomd100 - That is correct. If you use the BB for the master clock, the VL3 effects can optionally use that clock to sync effects timings. The Metronome on the VL3 is the key to everything. When it’s on or muted, a big bright LED flashes in sync with the BB display and the VL3 looper will do everything in it’s power to keep your loops in sync with the BB and eachother, with one caveat. If you’re in looper mode and record a loop at one tempo, and then change the tempo on the BB, the VL3 will obey the recorded loop tempo and ignore the BB. Clearing the loop will allow the BB and VL3 to sync up again.

Hey Tomd100 and Scudd,
I know that this thread is almost a year old, but I targeted your names because the conversation that took place at posts# 15 and 16 are relative to my question.

Have either of you ever connected your VL3 and BB via a wireless bluetooth connection? I am using a wireless connection (Yamaha MD-BT01 wireless bluetooth), and I love that I can send midi messages via bluetooth to both devices. The presets change instantly. On the BB the tempo changes instantly too because I have the “Midi Clock” in Onsong (the iOS app I use) set to off, so there isn’t a lot of pulses sent…just the command and they change to the preset that I want, and the BB changes to the tempo I want.

My problem is I cannot get the VL3 to change to the tempo that I want because of the default tempo in the presets which are there for timing with the effects, etc. IS THERE A SOLUTION FOR THIS PROBLEM? (sorry for the all caps). Just distinguishing my question. :slight_smile:

That brings me to your above conversation. (NOTE: I’ve placed in BOLD text the parts of conversation that are pertinent to my question(s)).

Tomd100 wrote - That is correct - the way I think VL3 works is that loops, delay and other time related effects are synced to the metronome when it is turned on, whether there is an incoming midi clock or not. If VL3 receives a midi clock signal via midi in port then the metronome will sync to that - and therefore so will loops and delay etc.by extension.

My Question to you both: What if I’m sending midi messages via PC/CC from an iPad using bluetooth? (In order for me to use bluetooth, I have the midi clock turned off in iOS app Onsong to avoid all of the pulses sent rapidly constantly changing the tempo).

Scudd wrote - @tomd100 - That is correct. If you use the BB for the master clock, the VL3 effects can optionally use that clock to sync effects timings. The Metronome on the VL3 is the key to everything. When it’s on or muted, a big bright LED flashes in sync with the BB display and the VL3 looper will do everything in it’s power to keep your loops in sync with the BB and eachother, with one caveat. If you’re in looper mode and record a loop at one tempo, and then change the tempo on the BB, the VL3 will obey the recorded loop tempo and ignore the BB. Clearing the loop will allow the BB and VL3 to sync up again.

My Question to you both: Is there a way to stop the VL3 from following the preset tempos? (the two settings in the VL3 “midi tempo” needs to be on to even listen to incoming tempos via midi, and the “global tempo” setting I have set to off because I don’t want to set a tempo for all presets). If there isn’t a way to turn off the default preset tempos, is there a device that I can connect with the bluetooth that will somehow bypass the preset tempos in the VL3? (trying to turn off the default tempos in VL3 is my only problem right now. Once I get a solution for this, then I’m off to the races!).

Thanks for your help!

Aaron

Looping on the fly live with VL3X and BB

Hopefully this reaches someone who can help: I am a new user of both the VL3 and BB and am trying to create loops however am having issues with timing my loops between and the BB. I believe I have everything set up correctly and have tried the various looper settings smart serial etc and had the most success set to Quantise. Any tips on this I’m wanting to compose loops including Drums from the BB on the fly in a live setting.

Hi PT Cruiser,
If I’m understanding your question correctly it should be simple to loop your BB grooves in VL3. I don’t have any problems and this is how I’m set up…
First make sure you’ve connected the midi cable that comes with the BB to your VL3. Once the two are talking to each other, you’ll see the word “midi” flashing on the VL3.
Next make sure your settings are as follows:
VL3 Settings:
On the VL3 click setup, scroll over to the midi tab, make sure these are set:
Source - midi ports
Midi tempo - On
I/O Channels - set to same number…say #2.
Filter - none (for me)
Leave the other settings as is!

BB Settings:
If you want your BB to be your source clock, then set these settings in your BB.
Go to the main “Main Pedal” page and scroll down to “default tempo” and make sure “enabled” is what the arrow is pointing to.
Next scroll down to “Midi Settings” tap, tap again, then tap again past “System Real Time” tap again to get “Sync” choose “enabled” then arrow back until you see “Midi Channel Number” and put that on say #1. (Just make sure all of your midi channels on your gear are set to different numbers).
Next scroll back and go to the “midi-in and midi-out” sections. For “midi-in” make sure it’s “enabled”
Now scroll to “midi out”, tap, (I have mine set to “merge”) because of my setup. Set the arrow to “Midi-Out”
Then go back, but stay in "midi-out and scroll down to “Sync” Make sure this says “Always on”
Now you’re done and your VL3 and BB are midi connected.
NOW…in order for you to loop your beat buddy grooves you must connect a 1/8 to 1/8 stereo cable from the “phones” input on your BB to the “Aux” on the VL3. This way the VL3 will capture the beats you’re playing.
As far as the looper setting in VL3 goes, I suggest you either use “Smart” or “Serial”
Smart - allows things that Serial won’t and Visa-Versa. You’ll have to experiment to see what you can and cannot do in both depending on your needs.

Other than that you should be good to go. Your VL3 will be the slave to your BB with regard to tempos. There is a slight delay in the VL3 getting to the tempo that the BB is sending, but it will get there.

I don’t know which set list maker you’re using, but I use OnSong and I send program changes via OnSong to the BB and VL3 so it changes to the presets I want. This helps with playing and looping on the fly in live settings! I also set up control changes in OnSong to set the tempos I want…FYI. You’ll need some type of set list maker otherwise you’ll have to bend, kneel, or squat down to change the tempo on your BB to what you want them to be.

The only other thing is your timing when you stomp to create the loops. It takes a little practice, but practice makes perfect!!
Good luck! Let me know if you have any more questions. Hope this helps!

Thank you for the comprehensive information Aaron.
Firstly just wanted to hear from somone who was doing what I am attempting (mission accomplished!).
Now I’m going to check all the settings tomorrow and see if they match.

I am currently giging with a Boss RC3 and a Digitech Vocalist 2 so I don’t think the timing issue is me the wild card here is the BB and getting loops I create on the fly to stay in sync, they are drifting out of time at the moment and I cant quite work out what i’m doing wrong.