MM initial impressions

Terry, I wish I could be more helpful. What you’re trying to do should work right out of the box. I just got my MM a week ago and those functions work for me as expected. Of course, I can’t tap MM’s potential because as of now there is no app with which to program it. So it’s back in its box for now. Patiently waiting… :slight_smile:

Mine’s back in the box too. Hoping the app, when it arrives, will kick start the MM.

I understand the app is still several weeks out, making this another too-early release. And I feel like I’m part of the problem there, because I was one of the ones clamoring for it, and we applied pressure to SS to release it before support was completely ready.

You think I’d learn from the Aeros release, right?

Anyway, I’ve played with mine, and it’s also now safely away in a box awaiting the app. I’m still very optimistic, because it’s a very nicely-crafted piece of gear, but I have some regrets about my role as part of the angry mob that got it released too early.

Yeah. I’m keeping an eye on the 60-day return for refund date. I hope it doesn’t get close enough that I return it and they then release the app the next day. That would suck.

1 Like

Perhaps @DavidPackouz and @BeatBuddy_Support will weigh in here, but I believe they extended the return policy on the Aeros, and I THOUGHT they did the same for the MM. Could be wrong about that…

1 Like

Hi @richo and everyone -

We are extending the 60 day return period for the Maestro to start from the day that the app is released. :slight_smile:

It’s only fair that you guys get the full experience for the entire 60 day period. We appreciate all your support and understanding, especially with all the patience you guys showed to us while we were getting this out there. (we were really delayed and all of you waited so patiently)

And of course if thee are any issues, please do not hesitate to email us (me) directly at support@singularsound.com - while I do monitor the forum, I do not always see forum messages right away, but email I check almost every single day.

2 Likes

Were you able to resolve the issue with sub-20bpm tempo? I appear to have the same issue; I unplugged and re-seated the MIDI cable, which ended up sending the tempo to 300bpm, still not controllable via the MM.

Mike, try using just one Midi cable, the one that goes from MM out to BB in.

1 Like

Ya, that happened to me when I had both MIDI cables connected between BB and MM. What Dr_C says is how I got rid of that issue. “…using just one Midi cable, the one that goes from MM out to BB in.”

Which all makes sense: MIDI is designed to be a serial (i.e., in-a-line) communications protocol. The reason it works for the gent using the Yamaha wireless dongle is that the dongle breaks the loop and creates a new loop.

Yep, that worked. Thank you.

1 Like

If you use the BB itself to control start and stop, it’s possible to leave the MM on the ‘part’ menu. That way, you can jump straight into the right part from stopped.

Eg. Press start on mm, navigate to part menu, stop beat using bb. Until you press exit, the mm is now on the part screen. You can change songs (through the bb or the footswitch if connected directly to bb not mm) and you will still be on the part menu. Press part 3 and bb will go directly to that part with a transition.

My gripe is that you cannot jump past part 5 - many beats have 10 parts or more.
Give us the app already @BeatBuddy_Support

2 Likes

Oh my! Can’t wait to try this. Thank you!!

The way I change songs is to use my BandHelper app, either on my phone or my iPad. I sure do hope that once that mythical app appears, I can modify the default BB template. I don’t need anything that has to do with scrolling up and down through songs, so I’d like to scrap those settings entirely and set up the MM buttons the way that works best for me. Fingers crossed on that one. :slight_smile:

It looks good and feels nice, but without that app, it’s just a fancy paperweight to me (I’ve never had a problem with double taps and hold taps). Anyone have any idea on the progress of that app?

What I’ve heard through the grapevine is early February – but don’t quote me. My view is, better to get it right than to get it fast. My MM is currently tucked away awaiting the app, and, hoping the software will be as good as the hardware, I’m willing to wait.

I don’t mind the wait, I just wish they’d give us some sort of statement and/or estimate. Getting the product in the mail with this one page instruction slip telling us to download the app and then no mention that, oh yeah, the app isn’t ready is… odd. I love the BB and I’m every bit sure that when the MM is finished it’s going to be just as much an amazing tool.

Though really, I’d also be fine with an unfinished app, just one that’d let me assign my own MIDI controls. I don’t need presets, if that’s what’s holding them up.

You are absolutely right, of course. But I can understand why they might be gun-shy, given the last time they talked about what (they believed) was going to happen, it resulted in the Aeros being released essentially as a Beta in response to pressure, I can see why they might be reluctant to talk about it.

This. Absolutely agree. Maybe they could get to a point where guys like you and I – people who don’t need the full functionality or the pretty interface – could Beta test the app. Fingers crossed, that’ll happen. Or at least we get a (conservative) update. But Winter NAMM is next week, so I would not expect to hear much for the next two week.

1 Like

@Underground_Man @JoeInOttawa

The Android version of the app is nearly ready for beta. Our developer is working on getting it into the Google Play store. At the moment, he has it set up for manual approval in which he sends us the link. I requested from him this morning to have it published publicly so everyone else can try it out. I have not heard back yet.

I do have a list of customers who want to try out the beta version, so if you have not already requested (and been confirmed by me) that you are on that list, please send me a request via email only (not here) to support@singularsound.com - with which version you’d want to try: iOS, Android, or both.

I will send it to you the moment I have it available.

EDIT: The email that is needed is the email that is associated with the Google Play account you will be using to download the app. I submitted all the emails I received in the mean time, let me know (via email) if there are any corrections to be made: and if there are, what was the old email to replace with which new email. Thanks.

2 Likes

I have been waiting for the MIDI Maestro’s release since I saw the prototype at the NAMM show a couple of years ago. I saw it again at NAMM yesterday and was encouraged to hear it’s almost ready. My use would be to pair it with a Fractal Axe/Fx II. I have been using a Behringer FCB1010 and have programmed it stock as well as with Uno and Eureka eprom chips. I’ve also tried a few other MIDI controllers and nothing works exactly as I’d like. From what the rep @ NAMM told me, I’m very excited about this controller and eagerly await the release of the manual and editor app to see if it will finally be the pedal I’ve been hoping for. If it works as I hope, I think many others in the Fractal Axe/Fx community will be very interested…

Just curious, have you looked at the Morningstar MC6? I ask because I have both it and the Midi Maestro, and aside from the Maestro’s design for Beat Buddy (and I guess Aeros) use, I don’t see where it has a performance advantage over the MC6. I guess if you’re intending to use the MM to control both your Axe F/x and a BB there would be advantages, but for just controlling the Axe F/x, what are you seeing as being advantageous?