MM initial impressions

I have not yet done an in depth comparison but I like the physical format of the MM much better. The MC6 looks a bit too small and the buttons too close together for a stage performance controller. I also like the individual scribble strips much better than one central LCD. In fact the MM looks very close to Fractal’s own product for the AFXIII.

Interesting. The MC6 actually has the back row of buttons higher than the front, so it’s pretty easy to hit the right one. I do like Singular’s individual display per button. The Singular buttons are a lot louder than the Morningstar, but I do like the wide comfy button on the the MM.

Thanks for the reply. Just glad to know I wasn’t missing something obvious.

1 Like

I looked at the Morningstar MC6 and it look’s viable. Most importantly, to me, it sends sysex. As an owner of a Roland VR-730 keyboard, this is freakin’ great because it means I can program it to send a sysex message to toggle fast rotary speed (Leslie sim generally used with organ tones) on button press AND another sysex message to set rotary speed back to slow on release. If you’re a keyboard player, this probably makes more sense to you even if it’s not the way you like to toggle fast/slow.

With the MC6, I assume that I can also program whatever I need for BB PC + control messages - for me, those would most likely be Start/Stop, Pause, Next/Previous Part, Accent Hit, maybe some other thing that escapes me at the moment. My BB sits on (is velcro’d to) one of my keyboards. Song, tempo, drum kit, and volume are params I send with my Bandhelper app, so I don’t need a MIDI foot controller for that. And since BB sits on my keyboard rather than the floor, I can just reach over to make adjustments on the fly and not have to bend down to do this. Love that.

I want to use MM for a number of non-BB related things, but as yet there is no app, and, unless I missed something, information about its capabilities is incomplete. So, I have no idea whether MM can send sysex, let alone send it in the fashion I described above. If it turns out that it cannot send sysex, it goes back. Fingers crossed on that one! :slight_smile:

So far, I’ve been too busy to think seriously about returning MM, but I’m catching up on things and fairly soon MM in its incomplete state will be holding me back. Singular devs feel free to PM me if you need Pop-Tarts and energy drinks! lol :smiley:

Phil, one thing I can’t figure out is whether the MC6 will let you modify its expression response curve like some MIDI Solutions boxes purport to do. My VR-730, a great keyboard with some really annoying faults, does not respond smoothly to expression pedal movement. It’s like nothing… nothing… nothing… oh! wow, that got loud all of a sudden. lol… sad, but true.

It lets you calibrate the pedal, but there is nothing that affects the curve, which I guess makes sense since it’s supposed to be midi. You set the end points, 0 and 127, and, in theory, you have a linear progression between the two. I suppose if an expression pedal was made with an audio taper pot, rather than a linear, you would wind up with the nothing, nothing, bam result. But that would seem to be a shortcoming of the expression pedal design, where it was acting as if it should be processing audio rather than data. But, no, I don’t see where the Morningstar could cause a change to the curve.

Ok, thanks. The expression response issue is actually Roland’s to correct, and a known problem for the VR-730. My exp pedals work fine with my other keyboard, and I’ve tried 4 different ones. It is certainly seems like something that a firmware tweak could address. But what do I know, I’m just the customer. lol