New beatbuddy

Just ordered my beatbuddy and looking forward to a whole new experience. Bit concerned 'bout having to bend down every time I have to set new beat and tempo. Is there a way to simplify this concern.

With the external pedal, you can scroll through songs in a folder without having to bend down

Great. Thank aashideacon for your reply. Just waiting for my beatbuddy and footswitch to arrive.

I think by now, both the BB creators and users must have realised that the BB must be adjusted by hand most of the time, while the foot is only used for pedal work during performance or playing. Hence, the BB unit and the pedals should really be separate. For the next model, they can do this, but for the current BB, they should really design an external pedal that can do all the pedal foot work with a long cable to the main BB unit. So that the user can have the option to put the BB on music stand, mike stand or on the keyboard (for keyboard players).
With a long cable, I can envisage even someone else adjusting the BB while the musician does the pedal foot work on the external BB pedal.

Ok, In1voice, so if I need to change rhythms or tempos I do have to bend down to adjust pedal?

Fourmost,
For tempo, you can set up one of the foot switches to foot tap in the tempo, but you need a lot of practice to get it right. Easier to turn the knob to get the tempo you want (means having to bend down)
For rhythms, first you need to create songs with the beats you want. Then put these songs into a folder/playlist in the sequence you want. Then set up one of the foot switches to move up or down the list of songs, in order to change rhythm/song.
(I’m also rather a newbie, so my answers above may not be complete or accurate)

Thanks again in1voice for your reply. That isexactly what I thought.

Got my BB yesterday. Little bit disappointed that some of the basic beats are a little bit too elaborate. My song list mostly consists of simple quick steps, fox trots, waltzes etc. Is there a site where these can be found. Also when buying a new SD card is there any particular one that I should buy?

The beats that come with BB are mostly too heavy and busy. Most people don’t seem to like it. Go to Groove Monkee to download the midi files. There are many free ones there.

Any SD card should do.

There are a few sources of beats, both free and pro. I hear the GrooveMonkey stuff is good. I basically only use whole song beats, though.

As for the SD cards, I bought some 8 GB cards, and they are more than enough. You can get them for a few bucks now, so I didn’t even bother with name brands, since I have a pocketful of them!

Thanks in1voice. Will do. Is there much involved in, after downloading these songs, getting them onto my SD card?

Thanks In1voice. Will try this. Is there much involved in after downlosding

Thanks aashideacon. When you say that you only use "whole song beats"what do you mean? Do these songs from GrooveMonkee not come in the same format as the beats in BB Ie intro, v1, fill etc?

Well, the way the beatbuddy was designed, was to provide a basic Verse-Chorus system, with interesting fills for each section. That’s great for jamming.

What I found, was the ability for the pedal to play preprogrammed songs-real songs-and not only that, play the basslines as well.

So when I play live, my beatbuddy pedal is my drummer and bass player. I’ve been trying to push the boundaries, and have actually added an acoustic guitar as accompaniment.

Thanks in1voice. Will try that.Is there much involved in after downloading the songs from GrooveMonkee getting them onto my SD card?

member: 2902"]Well, the way the beatbuddy was designed, was to provide a basic Verse-Chorus system, with interesting fills for each section. That’s great for jamming.

What I found, was the ability for the pedal to play preprogrammed songs-real songs-and not only that, play the basslines as well.

So when I play live, my beatbuddy pedal is my drummer and bass player. I’ve been trying to push the boundaries, and have actually added an acoustic guitar as accompaniment.
[/QUOTE]

Sounds fantastic. Will have to tru

Sounds great. Look forward to trying this, but first will have to manage the basics. Is there much involved in, sfter downloading the song from GrooveMonkee, getting it on to my SD card? Sorry for mix up in text.

Groove Monkee is giving quite a few free packages for Cyber Monday, and good discounts for the rest too. Not sure if these will continue to be free for long. So get them quick.

Just installed BB manager. Discovered my Firmware is Firm-1,2.9. Is there need to update to 1.41? Think I might backup my original SD card before I start experimenting.

You should probably update to 1.4.1 and then back the SD card up to an image from which you can more easily restore. The other option is to back up to a spare SD card.

For spare SD cards, the 4Gb SDHC cards have plenty of space although you can go as high as 32Gb.

The users guide supplemented by this users’ forum is a great place to get up to speed so you can learn to use the BeatBuddy Manager and pedal. It will also help reduce the level of frustration that comes with learning a new piece of software and hardware ;- )

If you can’t find your answers in the guide and by searching this forum, the users will probably pitch in to answer any questions and help you with the learning curve.

Thanks Persist.
Going to backup to SD card. Try updating new Firmware. Then maybe set up project using manager to create song programme.
I have downloaded some GrooveMonkee freebies. What format is best suited for downloading beats to BB. pbf or midi.?

pbf probably provides greatest simplicity to get started with

midi provides flexibility if you want to tweak or customize your songs; you’ll need a midi editor such as BeatBuilder–free–found at <http://mybeatbuddy.com/forum/index.php?threads/free-midi-editor-designed-for-beatbuddy.2545/> (probably wouldn’t hurt to read the entire thread at this link if you choose to go this way)