NEW FEATURE: Manual for MIDI Maestro!

I think someone was having a little April Fools Day fun with you…

Good. I didn’t want to deal with finding 7 pin cables.

lol… it said enter coupon code on the payment site . just asking for a friend :wink:
btw happy Apr 1st .

If it supported 7-pin, the 5-pin would still work – with an external power supply.

Either way, it was a little niggly thing I’d like to see supported, but it doesn’t make my FAIL list if it’s not supported. It’s just a perky little nice-to-have.
Joe

D’oh!

J’oh!

Thanks David!

Power over MIDI cable isn’t a make or break for me (as you know, I already ordered my MM), but it’s not as uncommon as you might think. Many of the “proprietary” cables out there (e.g., Hughes & Kettner and Rivera) are actually just 7-pin DIN cables that break down to MIDI plus power. And the VooDoo Labs Ground Control (and, of course, the Rocktron MIDI Raider and MIDIMate) MIDI pedals are the same 7-pin configuration. It’s a great way to reduce FOH clutter – although I actually dismantled my Rocktron cable to add a power pigtail. Had no choice: my ancient Digitech PMC-10s require either AC or INVERTED DC.

But again, not a deal breaker. I just like to reduce clutter as much as possible whenever I can. And, with the MM being so compact, I’d love to be able to get it all down to a single cable for a truly elegant solution.

And yeah, I was totally sucked in by the Coupon Code thing. Misplaced my calendar, apparently.

:slight_smile:

Joe

Ah, thanks for the info on that! You learn somethin’ new every day. :slight_smile:

Yep, the cables are male at both ends, so the devices have an extra pair of holes that you are not required to use. Although, from experience, it’s hard to make sure you have the cable oriented exactly right when plugging in in the dark…

Joe

I may be WAY out in left field but when I first heard about the MIDI Maestro my first thought was moving presents to and from the Korg analog synths with digital presets such as the Minilogue and Monologue from my iPad using the Maestro… Doable?

I’m not sure I completely understand what you are trying to do here… the Maestro can send out any CC code with any value on any channel. You can label those commands for easy reference. This allows it to work with any MIDI device that uses CC codes.

@DavidPackouz, any updates on the MIDI Maestro? Expected ship dates or even – dare I ask? – a demo video?

Can’t wait to get mine and start playing with it. I’m hoping you (or your design team) are as big control freaks/MIDI geeks as I am…

Joe

This may be an odd question so apologies if the wrong place for it…

So I was initially really interested with the midi-maestro, now not so sure. Having come across the Morningstar mc6, once the aforementioned bb firmware updates are available won’t it deliver the same functions as the midi-maestro at a keener price? Actually the mc6 can have many midi commands on a single switch press (8 i believe), can take two expression pedals…ok I’d have to programme the mc6 but don’t see that as a deal breaker. So what would make the midi-maestro “…the best MIDI controller, period”?

Thanks

I have an MC6, and I like it very much; however, the reason I ordered the MIDI Maestro is that I find the switches on the MC6 too close, and I also wish it had more information displayable on the screen. Finally, the programming can be a bit limited for the number of things I control with my MIDI rig.

On the plus side, the MC6 is compact, built like a tank, quite flexible, and REALLY well-supported by the company. Oh, and it takes a 7-pin cable for power over the MIDI cable (hint hint @DavidPackouz :slight_smile: ).

Joe

Thanks for that, what programming aspect of the MC6 do you find limiting and how would the midi-maestro improve on it? I think the mc6 can send up to eight cc messages at once so for the BB that doesn’t sound limiting to me, and I don’t think that level of detail is available for the midi-maestro yet is it?

@Sibling Chris, I have an unusual demand set: I use my MIDI controller to manage my Hughes & Kettner Grandmeister and the complete light rig. Because the GM stores presets with effects/loop settings and states, it alone requires several commands. For example, most involve at least a PC and three CCs, while the lights require at least a single Note-On on another channel. I ran right up against the limits for several presets.

For most people, the issue will be the switch spacing and the small display. But don’t necessarily let that dissuade you: It’s a great controller, and I do love the size (but I apparently have clodhopper feet!). And the manufacturer is very responsive.

Joe

The main difference between MIDI Maestro and the MC6 is that the Maestro can be easily and painlessly programmed with the companion app, and it displays the function of each button on a dedicated screen above each button, making it much easier to see what the current function of the button is. The Maestro app also comes with ready to go device profiles so you can make it compatible with specific devices instantly without looking up that device’s MIDI codes in the manual or programming it in.

The MC6 does appear to be $20 cheaper (the price listed on the Morningstar site is $229)… so there’s that.

I do believe that I heard a mic drop!

For $20, it’s kind of a wash, so it comes down to deciding between more functions and teeny-tiny footprint. I will own both, I’ll let you know what I think. But, so far, function wins out over size for me.

the MC6 MkII can do 16 midi messages per preset I gather

Thanks David

for me I don’t know if it is quite so clear cut - I think the features you mention of the MIDI Maestro are definitely worth the $20 but I wouldn’t necessarily see them as that much of a USP over the competition. Maybe it depends on how much time you want to spend MIDI programming to some extent. The MC6 can take two expression pedals so am assuming one could control tempo and the other volume of the bb for instance, which is attractive to me.

neither are really available to me in the UK to try out and I really don’t see anything else in the market that is similar to these two devices. Next best thing is probably a Behringer FCB1010

“You pay your money, you make your choice” as they say!