Onsong to beat buddy

I am wanting to connect my beat buddy to onsong so I can select the song on the go and have the beat buddy Tee’d up with the song so i just start it. The problem is the puc doesnt seem to even be available and I’m not sure this is the way to go anyway. Do many do this with onsong and has it worked out well in a live setting ?

Thanks

Brent

I use the Yamaha MD-BT01 with the beatbuddy to connect OnSong to BB via bluetooth. It does exactly what you are wanting to do. There’s a small amount of front-end work that takes about 30 seconds a song once you get the hang of it.

1 Like

Sounds good.so the midi cable I bought with the beat buddy will just connect to the yamaha piece ?

I use the MD-BT01 too. Works great. Are you using midi from or to the BeatBuddy with any other equipment (like syncing a looper for example)? Depending on what your physical connections are will guide how to connect the MD-BT01.

So the yamaha md-bt01 has a midi connector 5 pin ? at present no other connection pieces

Thanks

Brent

Yes - 5 pin. Do you have the Midi Sync Breakout cable? (https://singularsound.com/product/midi-sync-cable/) If so, you just plug it into each end and you are good to go.

I’m not using wireless tech, but I use the iRig Midi 2 from my iPad to the BeatBuddy Midi Sync Breakout Cable and into the BeatBuddy. Works great.

1 Like

It’s so cool… right up there with hang gliding and digital photography!

I use a USB cable from iPad (via camera connection kit) to Synth to BB (via 5-pin MIDI cable) to Light Controller (via 5-pin MIDI cable)…in that order. Each MIDI device is controlled with OnSong, with the exception being the light controller. The BB sends a MIDI note to control that. I’m still messing with how to best make that work. OnSong changes my Synth performance (Yamaha term for sound patch) and the BB song file. I can control Tempo on the fly with OnSong as well as BB volume by using Screen triggers. It’s so cool. Use it every time I play and it works…every time.

2 Likes

Thanks Jerry the idea of a wired connection certainly has its appeal.Do you set the BB to have a count in for each song ? Does onsong select the BB song and you trigger the BB to start playing with the BB or with onsong ?
Brent

@mydrummer - My workflow is have OnSong select the song on BB pedal when I load a song from OnSong. Then I step on BB Pedal to start playing the song. Most of my BB songs have an intro in the Song Intro part as either a one measure count-in or a drum roll. Then the next song parts have the entire song. I use midi Bluetooth connection and have a wired midi set up as a back up. Hope this helps!

I press the BB pedal to start the drums. Some have count in (hi hat usually) and some don’t…depending on the song. Some songs don’t have drums at the beginning. I used to use BB to start Autoscroll on OnSong at the same time but wanted more control so turned that off in OnSong and use a Flic button to start the scrolling when I want it. Gives more flexibility for my needs.

@JerryAshton - Tell me more about this! I have a volume pedal but this would be so much easier.

That makes sense and then I guess the BB just plays to the end of the song no need to double tap or anything correct ? That’s I think what they call an OP or OPB file start finish. I’ve tried those ones where you cue the next parts like the BB library ones but thats pretty hard to do.

Thanks

Brent

Use Quicco mi.1 and Songbook Plus. A lot more compact then Yamaha MD and the SongbookPlus App is more user friendly.

For my BB songs, yes. Once I press it, it plays the entire song and it stops at the end of the song. This is accomplished by using the “Autopilot” feature in the BB song which was available on a beta version of BBManager that was released last year.

@Bootsy I use 3 screen triggers in OnSong set the volume on the BB at 100%, 90% ad 80% respectively. That’s enough variation for everything I do. Each screen trigger sends a MIDI control change (Control 108) to BB to change the volume. The VALUE is the % you want to set so trigger 1 is set to VALUE of 100, trigger 2 is set to VALUE of 90 and third is set to 80. Make sense? It’s GLOBAL so it works on ALL songs and you only have to set it once. It’s pretty slick and no pedal in the way… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@mydrummer I prefer to NOT use OP songs. When performing if I make a mistake or want to do another chorus, or NOT do ANOTHER chorus…etc, etc…the “OP Drummer” cannot adjust and just keeps on going… Hard to be flexible if/when you want to be bit more musical and less pre-programmed. Last gig I had to stop the BB cause we got off time from the BB OP Song and we were heading for a train wreck. Killing the BB allowed us to finish the song with some dignity in tact. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I totally agree. I get to each their own…but one press songs are essentially tracks, which is fine except there is zero flexibility. People come up all the time to talk or give a tip etc while we are playing…my wife can talk and thank them or whatever, I can improvise until she is done being cordial, and we get back into the tune. Also if the people are having fun with a tune we can extend it without issue. Finally, I don’t have to count measures or make sure I am in a particular spot in a song…I feel more in control of the whole thing.

This is what makes BB so great.

***This is not a dig at anyone using OP songs, or tracks…at the end of the day if you can entertain people you are doing your job.

@JerryAshton where in OnSong can you configure the corners for volume? I like this idea.

1 Like

I agree on OPB vs non-OPB. While we do some songs that are OPB, it takes more concentrating for us and less spontaneity but they do add some more instrumentation. I prefer the more standard breakdown and I’m hoping the Midi Maestro will allow for more flexibility among the song. Hopefully, I can have time to figure out how to use DAW to split songs into verse/chorus/bridge as the MM allows that type of movement.

@User_Name - Here’s what @JerryAshton wrote before:

I do wonder if there is a way to program a velocity slider but I haven’t looked into that yet.

@User_Name They’re called screen Triggers. There’s 9 of them in OnSong. Arranged kinda like a strange tic-tac-toe board. There’s an Icon in the menu that allows you to choose and configure… same place where you can configure Pedals and MIDI.

1 Like