"Personal Jesus" with synthesizer

Hello. There may not be a lot of Depeche Mode fans here, but I think this is a great song. So I created this Beatbuddy .sng, almost identical to the recorded version, except for the intro and the ending. The Beatbuddy song starts with four bars of drums, after which you play four bars of guitar, and then start singing. I didn’t include bass, because I’m a bass player, and I will be playing this live with my duo partner. (I will post video once we try this out live). But the synth actually does a great job of filling out the bottom end anyway.

YOU NEED TO INSTALL THE “PERSONAL JESUS” DRUM KIT IN ORDER TO GET THE SYNTHESIZER SOUNDS.

I also included the .mid file in case you want to tweak the song as desired.

The files may be found at the following DropBox links:

.drm fie:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yaud1lrxw2u0xto/Personal_Jesus.drm?dl=0

.sng file:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kuqkvyxz9nyhmem/Personal_Jesus_SYNTH_V2.sng?dl=0

.mid file:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/m6zy32pfn0jbwu3/Personal_Jesus_DRUMS_SYNTH.mid?dl=0

DropBox Folder:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/u23lyzo8n7f89no/AAA3EGuVFIWKZ3i42TTMx6CZa?dl=0

Cheers! :slight_smile:
Lanny

2 Likes

awesome. Yeah BIG DM fan here. I am going to see them again this year. Was lucky to get tix for the 2nd leg of the tour as I missed them on the 1st round. I am excited to check this out. All their songs are great. Check out Dave Gahan’s side project band , The Soul Savers, if you havent already. They have 2 or 3 CDs. Also his own solo studio albums are great.
Keep it up with some more DM stuff and thanks in advance.

WOW just checked it out. Sounds awesome. so so cool. cant wait to get the TABs and learn this one… kudos Lanny. Great job.

Excellent, I’m glad you like it! :slight_smile: That’s awesome that you’re going to see DM. I hadn’t even thought of getting tickets for this tour. I might go check them out. Thanks for the info about The Soul Savers, too. I’ll check them out right now on Spotify. Cheers!

Cool you will like Soul Savers. Its kind of the mellow stripped down acoustic version of DM but some are very powerful soulful vocal based songs. Dave’s solo CDs are more like DM with the synth pop style. Also if you love DM you might enjoy one of my high school best friends band called: Faith Assembly. Band founder, singer, guitar player, programmer, etc, Mark Stacy, has at least 6 albums out and the music in the same synth-pop genre as DM. His band has been one of the top headliners at the Synth-Pop festivals all over the world every year.

Anyways thanks so much for the Beat Buddy drum and song files. Looking to see what else you can do with DM. Good to have some modern sounding stuff here as well as the classics. As a person who grew up in the 80s that music relates to me a lot and my youth.
Im a guitar player and not a keyboard or drummer so trying to program these beat buddy files is beyond me even though Im a technically advance person, its over my head and I have other stuff I use my time on so any work by anyone who does this is appreciated as I know its a lot of work :slight_smile:
Looking forward to seeing some of your vids actually playing the songs you create

Thanks, I will check them out too. I grew up in the 80’s as well, so I dig it all. Hopefully I’ll get a chance to program some more DM on BeatBuddy. I usually only program something when we pick a song for a gig. I had to twist my duo partner’s arm to get him to play DM. My partner also doesn’t like when I put synth in the BeatBuddy, so I usually just make just straight drum beats. For this song though, I really thought it needed the synth.

The BeatBuddy programming is actually much easier than you would think. Designing a drum kit just involves inserting a bunch of .wav samples, and you assign each one a MIDI number of your choice. Then just use a MIDI editor to place the corresponding MIDI notes where you want the sample to be triggered. If you open the Personal Jesus drum kit, you’ll see each individual sample I included. Anyway, enjoy the DM concert!

Hi everyone. I just realized there were tons of wrong notes being played in the original .sng file that I published. For some reason the bad notes weren’t playing in the BeatBuddy Manager, but when I transferred the .sng to the BeatBuddy I heard all of the ugliness. I have fixed the problems and updated the revised song file, which may be downloaded from this link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kuqkvyxz9nyhmem/Personal_Jesus_SYNTH_V2.sng?dl=0

thanks for the fixes/update

Just wow! Great work Lanny! Any more 80s stuff? This is incredible.

Thanks! I’ve made a few other 80’s beats, but they are just plain beats (no synth or bass). I am a bass player, and I play synth with foot keys, so I usually don’t program bass or synth (except for minor synth “flourishes”). Here’s the other beats that I have:
[LIST]
[]Eyes Without A Face - Billy Idol (customized drum kit, no bass, very minor synth flourishes)
[
]Don’t Dream It’s Over - Crowded House (no bass, no synth)
[]Maniac - Michael Sembello (no bass, no synth)
[
]Smooth Operator - Sade (no bass, no synth)
[]Abracadabra - Steve Miller (basic synth, no bass)
[
]Land Down Under - Men at Work (no bass, no synth)
[]Enjoy the Silence - Depeche Mode (with bass, no synth)
[
]Pale Shelter - Tears for Fears (no bass, minor synth)
[]Shout - Tears for Fears (no bass, no synth)
[
]Jessie’s Girl - Rick Springfield (no bass, no synth)
[]Rio - Duran Duran (no bass, no synth)
[
]Everybody Wants to Rule the World - Tears for Fears (with bass, very minor synth)
[]Africa - Toto (no bass, no synth)
[
]Our Lips Are Sealed - The Go Go’s (no bass, no synth)
[*]I Melt With You - Modern English (no bass, no synth)
[/LIST]
I think I’ve uploaded most of these to the Resource section, but let me know if you’re unable to find them, and I’ll send you a DropBox link.

Cheers!
Lanny

1 Like

wow dude I didnt know about those. will have to check some of those out for sure! keep the 80s alive :slight_smile:

Lanny can’t seem to DL Everybody Wants to Rule the World, would really appreciate the Dropbox link. Thank you!

Lanny, any chance of getting the link for Everybody Wants To Rule The World? Thank you!

Here’s GarryA’s version http://forum.mybeatbuddy.com/index.php?resources/everybody-wants-to-rule-the-world-obpk.2060/

Sorry, I just saw your posting! Here’s my version.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ckdi05b8yo96j9m/AABHvzJNXo-crNwTjrRRfPWza?dl=0

Here’s a sloppy performance by me and my duo partner, but it gives you an idea of what the beat sounds like:

2 Likes

Lanny, love it! Great stuff as usual. Really appreciate it!

Any time!

Hey Lanny, thanks for uploading this , I’m using the .sng with our band. Im not exactly a newbi with BB, but for the life of me I can’t figure how to attach the synth sounds, could you enlighten me please???

1. Download the drum kit from Lanny’s link.
  2. Install the drum kit in BB Manager. File>Import>Drumset
  3. Activate the drumkit in BB Manager, by clicking on the box in front of its name in BB Manager. New Drum Kits usually load at the end of the exisiting drum kit list.
  4. Make sure the drum kti that you just activated in the drum kit selected for the song in BB Manager. If not, select it.
  5. Play the song in BB Manager. You should have the synth.
2 Likes

Awesome! I’m glad to hear this sng is being used in a band. Phil’s instructions are perfect. If you still have any trouble let me know.