Pride and Joy, Anyone?

6 Likes

Great job!

Thanks Ray!

Really enjoy you two !

EZ :

[SIZE=5]HR[/SIZE]

Awesome…nice lead work and solid bass!

Thanks, guys! I appreciate the kind words!

Nice work!

very very nice. first time ive seen an acoustic guitar playing the lead for this SRV song :slight_smile: great job. Just curious, did you program the hard silent stops into the song file ahead of time? or were those hard silent stops (around 1:15 - 1:25 timestamp) done by your foot on the 2nd external controller?

That song actually has three parts – hats, ride (solos), and stops – with intro/outro arranged thusly:
[LIST]
[]Count/intro
[
]Hats
[]Stops
[
]Solo
[]Stops
[
]Hats
[*]Outro
[/LIST]
I used the BBManager to put them in order and I step through the parts, adding fills as I go – no manual stopping in this particular song. I’m not personally a fan of the one-step songs (you can’t react to the crowd with them), but if I can program things like the stops, and especially when they’re not fully stops (listen to the very subtle things the drums are doing on the punches), then I’m usually happy to include them as complete, running parts, depending on the math.

Conversely, we also do Rollin’ a Seven (Every Time I Roll the Dice) by Delbert McClinton, and, for that one, I do manually control the stops. Partly because they’re simple and silent, partly because that enabled me to do the whole song with only two parts (hats and ride), and partly because I was relatively new to the device and didn’t know better. Which, because of the two-parts thing, turned out to be for the better.

Joe

1 Like

Great music Joe and excellent commentary on the use of the Beatbuddy. It never occurred to me to programme stops, I’ll be looking at that over the weekend. Thank you for posting the video and the info.

Carl.

1 Like

Happy to help!

One more tip: If you program sections with long stops, I always include a hi-hat pedal set at about 50% to keep the count going. Just like with a live drummer.

Joe

2 Likes

Great job! I shall steal some of your tips as my coverband play this one,thanks

1 Like

awesome job guys. one of the great SRV songs.

Thanks! You should see our Save a Horse video!

:slight_smile:

Nice video production in addition to solid playing. Can you detail how you do your videos? What equipment do you use, post production SW, etc?

We get good sound recording direct from the mixer since mic’d amps and everything goes through it to the PA using a “set once and forget” approach for the evening. Great to splice onto a video so I’d like to know how you get such good lighting, composition and clarity in yours?

Short version: Two (and now three) GoPro knockoffs (which you can actually see in the videos), Corel Video (v10, I think), married to a board mix from a Behringer x-Air 16. Because we have no amps on stage, so, no stage volume, the board mixes are usually pretty well-balanced.

What I do is rough cut the set-long videos into song lengths and map one of the angles to the board mix. Then, I line the clips up and take them into the Corel tool (name escapes me – Director, maybe?) that lets me choose angles while the clips play. What’s nice about that tool, is it’s live, but if I screw that up, I can back up to a “known-good” point and re-start from there.

Thanks for the detail! Your final product is a rarity in a world of crummy YouTube stuff. In addition to a handful of one-offs we play once a month at a local but the lighting leaves much to be desired. Good place for me to learn and this gives me an excellent start.

Yet another thing I can add to my burden in addition to sound, Beat Buddy, choosing and developing our work, half the vocals, bass and guitar, flute and harp.:wink: At least we have an outstanding lead so I’m relieved of having to pretend at that…

Michael

One last thing if you would - what camera do you recommend? Your work is top shelf. Reviews of course are less than useful online (and mostly about deep sea diving and racing). For our intended purpose we really need to run via USB power when batteries won’t last long enough and capture decent quality pictures in varying (sometimes low) light situations. Oh and port over to a Mac when done but that last should be easy.

Michael

I guess you need a slightly longer version…

:slight_smile:

The key to decent videos is decent lighting. As we did for this video, we typically run a tree of three 7x12w LED fixtures, one on white with a pink hue, and two running colours in synch. The white is critical. For larger shows, we run a pair of trees with the same three 7x12w fixtures, which you’ll see if you hunt down “Where’s Waldo Saves a Horse” on YouTube. Bigger stage, more lights, but same setup.

Camera-wise, we don’t use anything fancy or expensive (though I wish I could justify the latest and greatest GoPro). We use a couple of older Activeon CX Golds that I picked up at Best Buy for about $100 CDN each. Quality is decent, but, again, good lighting is everything.

Oh, and we have a couple of those high-capacity power banks that we use to power the cameras, because the internal batteries only run them for about an hour.

If you want to know anything else, let me know, happy to help.

A veritable goldmine of hard-won information thanks!

Michael